BANGKOK
baneko

British widow and son. Any entitlement?

Unfortunately 4 months ago one of my friends decided to commit suicide in Bangkok. This was a culmination of overstay, age and no money unfortunately. He has left a wife and son. The son is half Thai/UK and has a UK passport.

My question is does his son who is 9 and possibly his wife (Thai citizen only) have any entitlement from the UK government to family allowance or any other benefit. They are finding it difficult to make ends meet and are still in shock from what happened to her husband and his dad.

I don't expect they will receive anything as they both live in Thailand. She has asked my wife and myself to help find out. He had no private pensions etc.

Thanks

How old was your friend at the time of his death, baneko?  A little more detail of his former life in the UK too, i.e. employment history, irrespective of your assertion that he had no private pension(s) etc. 

Edited by torturedsole

He was 64yrs old. He worked offshore most of his days. I know he was not due the UK pension until after 65 but don't have much more info. He had no property in the UK.

1 minute ago, baneko said:

He was 64yrs old. He worked offshore most of his days. I know he was not due the UK pension until after 65 but don't have much more info. He had no property in the UK.

I'm not an expert but know that what you've provided in post #3 will be relevant in any subsequent response(s).  A sad case and wish all concerned the very best.

Moved to here for better input from those more familiar with UK benefits.

Hats off to the OP for trying to help. Do you know if any blood relatives exist in UK? Has anyone contacted the embassy? They will know who the NoK is and in most cases will at least put the parties in touch with each other unless specifically told otherwise.

HTH

• Like 1

I would of thought that there maybe an entitlement to a widows pension also if he worked on an oil rig he might have a pension due from them tho I note you said he did not have a private pension but having had a family member work on a rig they as a company are normally very helpful. Can I suggest you contact the British Embassy in BKK and go onto the YouGov site . I presume his death was reported to the BE in Bangkok !

Edited by crazykopite

Research her getting a visa linked to him. Not sure how but it is on the uk.gov website I remember seeing it.

15 hours ago, torturedsole said:

How old was your friend at the time of his death, baneko?  A little more detail of his former life in the UK too, i.e. employment history, irrespective of your assertion that he had no private pension(s) etc. 

From what I know the widow is entitled to nothing. The child should get support being a Brit. citizen.

Contacting the embassy is worth a try. May be you can give them help by reading up on gov. website and perhaps helping to contact the gov. depts.? I'm assuming the widow's English may not be good enough to do it.

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 1

I think you only get the Government pension at 67 and you will only get a % pro rata as to National Insurance premium paid and i do not think his poor wife can get anything.

Hopefully the child can get help

Agree check websites

Sad stuff mate 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, angloirishaussie said:

I think you only get the Government pension at 67 and you will only get a % pro rata as to National Insurance premium paid and i do not think his poor wife can get anything.

Hopefully the child can get help

Agree check websites

Sad stuff mate 

state pension is now  paid at 66, some will still get at 65 and some months, ie someone born on 1st july 1954 will get their pension at age 65 8 months 5 days both for women and men.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/bereavement-benefits

no Bereavement Support Payment payable, or  Widowed Parent's Allowance to the wife in these circumstances, as Thailand is not included in the list of countries where the payment is claimable - https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/bereavement-benefits