BANGKOK
Kammie

Extension after warning at BKK immigration

Hello everyone, 

So I arrived at Suvarnabhumi this week and was taken aside by immigration. I'm coming to Thailand for 8 years now without a visa (I'm Dutch), each time staying no more than 60 days with a flight after 30 days to Cambodia. My last visit was the longest (May to Sep. this year), about 4 months with 2 border runs to Myanmar and a 30 days extension at the Chiang Rai immigration office. So when I was taken aside this week (for the first time) they wanted to know what I was doing for so long in Thailand, I honestly told them I love the country, people, weather, food and so on. I think my first mistake was that on the arrival form under lenght of stay I wrote 90 days instead of 30 as I always did. The first officer was very blunt and harsh saying 'you have to go back to your country'. After a while another officer came to talk with me. He said this is not your country, we can only let you stay 30 days if you can show an exit flight within 30 days. So bought a ticket to Cambodia and he gave me the usual 30 day stamp. Obviously a bad start which all in all took more than 3 hours. 

As I see it I'm in the 'system' and when I leave Thailand either on land or via airport I have to go to a Thai embassy for a visa. Is that the case now? 

Is there anyway I can extend my stay for this trip? Or am I really obliged to leave after 30 days and stay away for at least 2 months? Am I now flagged? Or is this just a scare tactic. 

Any tips or tricks are truly welcome. 

Usually a 30 day extension is issued without the slightest problem... so long as your 'hotel' has done the TM30! The problem does seem to be with the immigration at the airport being difficult. Yes a TV might help, but most travelers couldn't be bothered. Someone coming to spend 2 winter months here should not hassled. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Usually a 30 day extension is issued without the slightest problem... so long as your 'hotel' has done the TM30!

You don't need TM30 for a 30 day extension. They don't ask.

1 minute ago, noone223 said:

Personally, it happened to me too, its humiliating, and a country that treats you this way CLEARLY doesn't need, want nor deserve you and the money you're spending.

Good point. It happened to me too a couple of times and is one of the reasons I have decided to give up my condo here and spend more time in other countries next year. Your loss, Thailand.

• Like 1