BANGKOK
LisuLover

Is flight ticket required before applying for Tourist Visa?

Last time I applied for a 60 day tourist visa, I did so before I knew my travel dates.  I'd like to do that again now.  However, things seem to have changed.  Is it the case that you now have to buy your ticket before you apply for the visa?  How does it work for people who won't know their travel plans until last minute?  

You have to apply online (in the UK) and they require you to put your flight number on the application .

I dont know whether they check or not 

• Like 2

I believe you can still apply at the honorary consulates without a confirmed flight, but the "e-visa" system (used to apply through the London embassy) requires you to have one.

• Like 1

However, things seem to have changed.

What makes you think that things have changed? Who told you this?

• Confused 1

Many embassies and consulate have been require a ticket in and out of Thailand for a long time.

Where are you applying at?

OP, you mention that "last time you applied for 60 day TV......"

Where was this, that an onward flight was not required?

I'm aware that some consulates will accept an onward flight beyond the 60 days if you explain that you intend to apply for extension. Saigon just as one example insist on print out of "confirmed" onward flight. 

It’s always been a requirement to have an onward ticket. Increasingly  embassies/consulates ask to see evidence of it when you apply. Some still don’t, so if it’s a problem, you might be able to choose where you apply depending on your location.

If you do have to evidence a ticket most places accept a ticket to anywhere; so you can buy a cheap throwaway ticket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Many embassies and consulate have been require a ticket in and out of Thailand for a long time.

Where are you applying at?

Not just a ticket, a copy of the receipt for a paid ticket with arrival and departure dates. It's been required in Europe since at least the mid 80's. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Not just a ticket, a copy of the receipt for a paid ticket with arrival and departure dates. It's been required in Europe since at least the mid 80's. 

None of that WAS required in London as recently as January 2019. That was before the online application process began.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, VBF said:

None of that WAS required in London as recently as January 2019. That was before the online application process began.

Yes. Even though I always had a return flight for 6 months, for an SETV the old form used to ask for the duration of stay, I put 60 days, and mode of transport and destination (I think) on departure. I always wrote truthfully 'bus' to 'Laos' and never had a problem. This winter I have come on a 90 day single-entry non-O based on retirement where no transport details are required. So Im not sure what the dreaded online evisa travel proof is now for a SETV.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

I use expedia.com to book a 24h free refundable ticket right before I give my application, works like a charm and got refund on my visa within days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freeman01 said:

I use expedia.com to book a 24h free refundable ticket right before I give my application, works like a charm and got refund on my visa within days.

This might not work depending on your airline. Many, including the last I flew into Thailand with, ANA, won't let you get on the plane without seeing your onward ticket. They know that Thailand wants everyone to have one, and thus they've made a deal to check their passengers.

Thus, the 24 hour thing won't work, because if you're like me taking an international flight running up to nearly $1000 US, you're booking your ticket at least a month in advance, unless you want that price to double.

My solution and many others, is to buy a cheap throwaway ticket. Nok Air into Laos, for under 1000 baht.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
Forgot stuff
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thus, the 24 hour thing won't work, because if you're like me taking an international flight running up to nearly $1000 US, you're booking your ticket at least a month in advance, unless you want that price to double.

When you buy a fly-onward rental ticket the price of the flight doesn't matter, as you have no intent to actually take the flight, but simply 'rent' a booking for 24 or 36 hours (cost between 8 and 12 US $).  So obviously you do that in the hours before actually boarding.

If I don't get the SETV organised and finish up getting a 30 day stamp at the airport, can I extend it for a further 30 days at immigration in BKK or HKT?