Brit sailor adrift on stricken yacht rescued off Koh Lipe

webfact

Brit sailor adrift on stricken yacht rescued off Koh Lipe

By The Phuket News

1575801218_1-org.jpg

Ian Munro, 63, from Plymouth, England, and his yacht ‘Stormwitch’ were both safely recovered. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: A 63-year-old British yachtsman sailing to Langkawi has been safely recovered by a Royal Thai Navy boat after the engine on the British sailor’s yacht failed, leaving him adrift in heavy weather off Koh Lipe, south of Phuket.

Tourist Police on Koh Lipe alerted the Navy outpost in Satun to the call for assistance yesterday (Dec 7).

The Navy quickly dispatched a patrol boat to render assistance to the Brit, Ian Munro, from Plymouth, whose boat Stormwitch was drifting an estimated five nautical miles offshore.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-sailor-adrift-on-stricken-yacht-rescued-off-koh-lipe-73925.php#ghUJV2whKJKQkHvE.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-09

It's a sail boat. Even if very windy just use the storm sail. My motor packed in a few times and I just sailed to port or safe anchorage.  My RYA instructor had use practice docking under sail.  Tricky and cause nearby boat owners some panic. I used that technique a few times over the years.

Archived