Polish tourist and Thai female remain missing after kayak trip off Phuket

webfact

Polish tourist and Thai female remain missing after kayak trip off Phuket

By The Thaiger

79182731_1316839888497582_48530735141539

PHOTOS: Phuket People’s Voice

A helicopter has now joined the growing fleet of vessels who have been searching for a Polish tourist and a Thai woman. The pair disappeared after hiring kayaks with friends at Ya Nui Beach in Phuket yesterday afternoon. Search efforts resumed early this morning after a fruitless search last night.

26 year old Mateusz Juszkiewicz from Poland and a female Thai friend, 23 year old Werakan Sirirakon from Nakon Sawan, were kayaking between Ya Nui Beach and the small island offshore with friends yesterday afternoon.

The group hired four kayaks to explore the island, just south of popular Nai Harn Beach. Whilst the friends were returning to Ya Nui at sunset last evening, the missing pair contacted their other friends and said they were quite far away and “not able to return to the beach”, according to the police report.

There has been no contact with the pair since.

The other members of the canoeing expedition contacted the Tourist Police who, in turn, put out the call to local volunteer organisations and the Navy. A search of the waters off Ya Nui Beach continued until almost midnight.

Navy helicopters and an armada of smaller vessels, some with the local Navy, have been searching for the pair, and their kayak, this morning.

Police say the search will continue around Phuket’s southern waters and local beaches this afternoon. Whilst there has been a strong offshore breeze, the conditions have been reasonable last night and today.

SOURCE: เสียงประชาชน คนภูเก็ต Phuket People’s Voice

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/polish-tourist-and-thai-female-remain-missing-after-kayak-trip-off-phuket

This is a weird story.............I kayak from Yanui beach frequently and even during rainy season when the waters are rough............its easy to kayak back to shore

The seas are calm at the moment and it should be no trouble for them to get back to shore......

There are also a lot of fishing/tourist vessels/yachts around that area for them to try and reach

Something dosen't add up

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

It's not exactly snow and ice weather in Thailand...ever

Do you at all know what you are talking about? Do you know how long time you last in 16 degree temperature, a little bit of wind and the possibility that your clothes are wet?

Think about that before you make another remarkable post.

23 minutes ago, Catoholic said:

? the weather report shows a high of 32 and a low of 24 degrees Celsius for Phuket? is hypothermia even possible at those temps?

Nope, but it will not be more than 16 in the water when 24 in the air. If even that much.

2 minutes ago, GBW said:

The average Phuket water temp in December is 28

???????????? Really???? Are you serious?

You do know that you have been reading the tourist beach temperatures during daytime, right?

So, what you are saying is that it´s about 28 degrees in the evening around 21.00 in the water around a kayak maybe 100 meter out?

Sure you do not want to reconsider that?

12 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You do know that you have been reading the tourist beach temperatures during daytime, right?

So, what you are saying is that it´s about 28 degrees in the evening around 21.00 in the water around a kayak maybe 100 meter out?

Clearly I said the average water temp is 28, so no reconsideration. 

20 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It sounds like you've never been to the beach in Thailand. 

11 minutes ago, Catoholic said:

It sounds like you've never been to the beach in Thailand. 

No use for further discussion. You go happy and believe that the water have a temperature of 28 degrees night time in December.

And no, I actually been to the beach a few times in my soon 23 years here.

22 minutes ago, GBW said:

Clearly I said the average water temp is 28, so no reconsideration. 

Yes, measured during the time the sun is up. Not with night time temperatures taken into consideration. Then it will sink drastically, hence why I asked you to reconsider.

Ok, not reconsider. Just look at the right number that are relevant to the news, and at the same time use common sense when you look at the wrong ones.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Hope they found some shelter or other place to hold up during the night... possibly waiting it out for morning to make the next move?

If they went to the west of that island the next land is about 500km away.

The easterlies were very blustery last night, unusually, the wife even commented about it.  I turned off the bed room fan last night as I felt colder than I had for a long time. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a kayak on the ocean. 

222.JPG

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, measured during the time the sun is up. Not with night time temperatures taken into consideration. Then it will sink drastically, hence why I asked you to reconsider.

Ok, not reconsider. Just look at the right number that are relevant to the news, and at the same time use common sense when you look at the wrong ones.

Be it day or night, the variable water temp is minuscule.  Do you really think that the seas and oceans temperatures fall considerably, if at all, when the sun goes down ?     

3 minutes ago, GBW said:

Be it day or night, the variable water temp is minuscule.  Do you really think that the seas and oceans temperatures fall considerably, if at all, when the sun goes down ?     

Why don´t you try it out yourself, and message the real life experience after.

4 hours ago, hydraides said:

This is a weird story.............I kayak from Yanui beach frequently and even during rainy season when the waters are rough............its easy to kayak back to shore

The seas are calm at the moment and it should be no trouble for them to get back to shore......

There are also a lot of fishing/tourist vessels/yachts around that area for them to try and reach

Something doesn't add up

do you mean "it smells fishy "   555

27 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
30 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It was a simple question, this you choose to not answer. 

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Do you at all know what you are talking about? Do you know how long time you last in 16 degree temperature, a little bit of wind and the possibility that your clothes are wet?

Think about that before you make another remarkable post.

Man, why so serious?

Everyone knows that you can drown in an inch of water but it doesn't mean it happens every time.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Water stays here 28 degrees year round at depth, surface maybe 30 centigrade.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Water thermal losses only occur when the air temperature is less than the water temperature.

During the day the water gains energy from solar radiation and transmission.

The water temperature variations are seasonal, not daily although a small temperature loss may occur at night. This loss is almost immeasurable.

Each cubic meter of water has 4.19 megajoules of enery per degree of temperature and transfer of this energy to the lower boundary layer of air is a slow process.

Depending on the water turbidity, stratification will occur more during still conditions, raising upper temperatures and cooling those lower.

Archived