Elon Musk could face defamation retrial as Brit diver's lawyer claims jury blundered

webfact

11 hours ago, torturedsole said:

What utter nonsense.  In fact the most nonsense post since, well, the last nonsense post I've read on TV.  

What is nonsense is you can't even explain yourself or your view!  THAT IS WHAT IS NONSENSE LOOK IN THE MIRROR TRY TO HAVE AN OPINION AND WHEN YOU DO EXPLAIN IT OR YOU TOO AFRAID TO DEFEND YOUR POINT OF VIEW HERE AND NOW?

Everyone signing up has the right here but I wonder at times if people like you who respond the way you do already had their mental capacity expired?  I can see from your other responses it isn't all there when it comes to other opinions and your comprehension might be the reason you so torture?????

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

Name calling, really we have become so sensitive where money can be claimed as a payment, too right a slight.

This is not just a case of name calling, this is a spoilt child calling someone a peado to 29.8 million of his followers.

This is a vile accusation and the perpetrator should not be allowed to freely attack people’s characters.

Mr. Unsworth was absolutely correct to bring a law suit against this bully, if he had not then everyone would have presumed that he was a nonce.

By bringing this law suit against Musk, Mr. Unsworth has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is as clean as the driven snow, if he wasn’t Musk’s army of private investigators would have found something from his past and Musk would have used that to ruin Mr. Unsworth before it got to court.

How would you react to a public figure calling you a child molester to 29.8 million sheeple?

If Mr. Unsworth was primarily interested in bringing suit to clear his name regardless of the outcome, it seems he would have been much better off doing so in the UK and -- according to the linked Business Insider article above -- Unsworth's attorneys had filed in UK to do so but then withdrew the filing

On Monday, December 09, 2019 at 7:47 AM, Time Traveller said:

Sounds like his lawyer just found another way to scam more money in lawyer fees out of poor ol' Vern.

Wasn't the lawyers doing it 'pro-bono"? 

1 hour ago, SkyFax said:

Per Business Insider yesterday:

Elon Musk's win over Vernon Unsworth was a miscarriage of justice, according to Unsworth's lawyer

Unsworth's lawyer (Lin Wood) did not take the jury's ruling lying down.

Wood added that his team would "explore legal options"  following the verdict.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-defamation-win-miscarriage-justice-vernon-unsworth-lawyer-2019-12

Unsworth and his lawyers f&*%$(&^d up and they know it. After the decision, his lawyers raved on about the hours and the work they put into the case.  Guess what? They didn't get any money. Gee whiz, how sad! They wanted to milk Musk. Put on a big emotional scene in the witness box but the jury saw the truth. It's not about Unsworth and his family's reputation at all, it's about money, money, money.

I know Vern and consider him to be a good fella.

He got the ball rolling ,and without his help things could have Could have taken a turn for the worst.People in this neck of the woods have a lot of respect for him.

6 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Per Business Insider yesterday:

Elon Musk's win over Vernon Unsworth was a miscarriage of justice, according to Unsworth's lawyer

Unsworth's lawyer (Lin Wood) did not take the jury's ruling lying down.

Wood added that his team would "explore legal options"  following the verdict.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-defamation-win-miscarriage-justice-vernon-unsworth-lawyer-2019-12

Uh, oh. Same guy a few hours later: 

I congratulate Elon Musk and the lawyers on his team at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan for their efforts to achieve a verdict for their client that spoke the truth. Alex Spiro and Bill Price are exceptional lawyers. Their efforts contributed greatly to the verdict that spoke the truth: Musk’s July 15, 2018, comments about Vernon Unsworth were nothing more and nothing less than an insult. Insults by definition do not convey fact. And truth, even in the hands of skilled lawyers, does not change.  https://www.law.com/therecorder/2019/12/09/letter-to-the-editor-lawyer-for-man-who-sued-musk-claims-justice-worked-despite-defense-verdict/?slreturn=20191110014259

Unsworth's own lawyer admits he didn't have a case.

22 hours ago, Elkski said:

Peehaps Elons motivations were all good no publicity.    He used the wrong word in his tweet. He could have said many words but in 2019 for a Man living in SEAsia I think pedo guy had traction. I'm sure  this case is no upfront cost  to  Vern.  Contingency!   I do think more reasonable  number  like  2 months salary or 1% net worth would have better a better  number to seek. Oh 1% is 230,000,000$  either the judge or verns lawyer suck. 

A jury decided it not a judge

(DailyMail) EXCLUSIVE: Elon Musk will NOT sue British cave diver he called 'pedo guy' for court costs after the man agrees not to pursue a retrial in $190million defamation case

Elon Musk will not sue the British cave diver he branded 'pedo guy' after the billionaire was found not liable in the defamation case.  

Musk's decision not to sue for court costs comes after diver Vernon Unsworth, 64, agreed not to seek a retrial in the $190million defamation case, DailyMail.com has learned exclusively. 

Unsworth's team had initially planned to file retrial papers by Christmas, with his lawyer saying it was a mistake for the jury to find Musk not liable Friday for calling the diver a 'pedo guy' on Twitter.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7777437/Elon-Musk-NOT-sue-British-cave-diver-called-pedo-guy-court-costs.html

Note: From the actual court document:

The Parties THEREFORE, request the Court ORDER, ADJUDGE, AND
DECREE the following:

1. Final judgment is hereby entered in favor of Defendant Musk. Plaintiff
Unsworth shall have and recover nothing by reason of his complaint
against Defendant Musk.
2. Each party shall bear his own costs associated with this action.
3. Neither party shall seek to appeal or otherwise challenge any issue arising
from or relating to the action.
4. The parties fully and finally release any claims whether at law or in equity,
whether known or unknown, that the parties may have against each other. 

Elon Musk won’t counter-sue British spelunker for costs after winning defamation case, lawyer says

Elon Musk won’t soak Vernon Unsworth for his defense costs after winning the defamation lawsuit filed by the British spelunker following last year’s Thai cave rescue.

“We elected not to collect fees from Mr. Unsworth,” Musk’s lead lawyer Alex Spiro told the Daily News Tuesday.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-elon-musk-and-vernon-unsworth-agree-to-pay-own-legal-fees-20191210-nh37wfpanvgghjauirjzubeckm-story.html

5 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Elon Musk won’t counter-sue British spelunker for costs after winning defamation case, lawyer says

Elon Musk won’t soak Vernon Unsworth for his defense costs after winning the defamation lawsuit filed by the British spelunker following last year’s Thai cave rescue.

“We elected not to collect fees from Mr. Unsworth,” Musk’s lead lawyer Alex Spiro told the Daily News Tuesday.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-elon-musk-and-vernon-unsworth-agree-to-pay-own-legal-fees-20191210-nh37wfpanvgghjauirjzubeckm-story.html

To me, this just shows who the real man was in the situation.  A real man can admit he was wrong, say he is sorry, and forgive--some of the hardest things in the world to do.  Unfortunately, one of these two has not done any of these manly things.  At least one is proven to be a gentleman.

145 mil. it’s what lost Vern’s case. I mean, come on!!! IMHO that automatically turns Verny into a little desperate thai freelance gold digger kinda dude. He lost all my respect right when he asked such an amount. Ur a real gentleman, ask Musk to apologize on all media channels and stay a true gentleman, if ur reputation is really what ur mostly concerned in. If I were him, I would have seeked a role in the movie, would have brought him much more money or fame 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:47 AM, Time Traveller said:

Sounds like his lawyer just found another way to scam more money in lawyer fees out of poor ol' Vern.

Don't be daft.  All these cases in the USA are done on no win, no fee basis. The lawyer would have been in for maybe 40% of the winnings.  That's the way they work.

Elon Musk Beat The "Pedo Guy" Defamation Suit In A Dramatic Victory

“The people that read Musk's tweet wouldn’t have known who [sic!] he was talking about," one juror told BuzzFeed News.

Ryan Mac, BuzzFeed News Reporter

One juror told BuzzFeed News the decision came down to the notion that a reasonable person could not read Musk's "pedo guy" tweet and determine that it was associated with Unsworth. “The judge laid out five points for defamation as soon as we got to point two, which was about being acquainted [with the defamed person], we decided,” said Carl Shusterman, a Los Angeles attorney who served on the jury. “The people that read Musk's tweet wouldn’t have known who [sic!] he was talking about.”

Source: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-defamation-verdict-vernon-unsworth

Interesting insight into the actions taken by Musk against Unsworth in an attempt to justify his pedo comment. Musk acted disgracefully but the directions given by the judge was clearly the deciding factor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7792903/Hero-saved-12-Thai-boys-reveals-Elon-Musks-private-eye-rifled-bins.html#comments

After reading the DailyMail above to note:

The Musk 'pedo' tweet was on 15 JULY 2018

THE TELEGRAPH 

16 JULY 2018 • 9:27PM

(Excerpt)

British caver considering legal action after Elon Musk 'pedo' tweet  

Mr Unsworth told AFP on Monday he had not reviewed the tweets in full and had only heard about them.

Asked if he would take legal action against the billionaire over the allegation, he said: "If it's what I think it is yes."

The caver added that he would make a decision when he flies back to the UK this week, but said the episode with Musk "ain't finished".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/16/british-caver-considering-legal-action-elon-musk-pedo-tweet/

On 12/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, MarcB said:

Let Vern play it out.
And maybe start another trial in the UK, which will as easily be in favor of Musk.

My opinion, not so smart of Vern when Musk sues for lost time and spent costs.

I might see Vern having to sell his house....

If he's smart, he goes home now and have a beer

The only problem here is in Thailand Vern probably doesn't own 'his' house.

Archived