Jump to content

Elon Musk could face defamation retrial as Brit diver's lawyer claims jury blundered


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely right. It's gone too far already. Going for such absurdly high damages payments has tarnished Unsworth's rep much more than any tweet would have.

 

Now is the time to walk away with dignity fully intact.

This is wrong. Personal claims in US courts are always stratospheric, and considering the financial worth of the defendant, perfectly in keeping with an intent to punish him. Unsworth's counsel have not misadvised him on the level of damages to ask for. And it's time for Calif. courts to make it clear law that gross slander/libel is actionable in itself, whatever the effect or lack thereof on the injured party. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was quite clear and obvious that Musk was referring to Vern . So, you can say anything about anyone as long as you dont directly say their name when its quite clear and obvious that you are ta

I think Mr. Mark Stephen's, Esq. better come to grip with defamation laws as they exist in the USA. One of the key issues was that Unsworth had not shown any tangible damages - on the contrary - no on

Absolutely right. It's gone too far already. Going for such absurdly high damages payments has tarnished Unsworth's rep much more than any tweet would have.   Now is the time to walk away wi

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Speedhump said:

And it's time for Calif. courts to make it clear law that gross slander/libel is actionable in itself, whatever the effect or lack thereof on the injured party. 

I can tell, you didn't like the verdict.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So it  seems to transpire  that the  legal  beagles  who took on Unsworths  claim on a  pro bono  basis are attempting  to recover  lost  financial interest. An irritation to  Musk, a further  humiliation to Unsworth ?

Should  have been  left alone  from the  start. IMHO.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Unsworth should take his case to the Thai court. Jail time for Musk.

 

The Thai government and courts, of course, will just love it when Unsworth makes Thailand the center of some sort of "pedo trial." They'll just love what he does for the country's reputation. Can't imagine how popular he'll be with the authorities once the international press comes to Thailand to do background stories on pedophiles and dirty old men. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So it  seems to transpire  that the  legal  beagles  who took on Unsworths  claim on a  pro bono  basis are attempting  to recover  lost  financial interest. An irritation to  Musk, a further  humiliation to Unsworth ?

No, further publicity for themselves. Wouldn't surprise me if the Unsworth's lawyers knew quite well from the beginning they couldn't possibly win. And they also know there's not going to be any retrial, but they're milking the case for a little longer to keep their names in public view. For them the advantage is being linked to a case involving a billionaire celebrity like Musk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, further publicity for themselves. Wouldn't surprise me if the Unsworth's lawyers knew quite well from the beginning they couldn't possibly win. And they also know there's not going to be any retrial, but they're milking the case for a little longer to keep their names in public view. For them the advantage is being linked to a case involving a billionaire celebrity like Musk.

Great publicity for the Lawyers , sure they will get lots of other work through this case .

Clever publicity stunt from the Lawyers there  , all that free advertising .

Musk will probably hire them to represent all future opposition in his court cases ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Musk were to sue 50% of TV commenters for defamation, he'd surely would have enough money to pay Vern that comfortable pension he's so much after...


Or should we just regard all comments made the last few months as merely opinions and social media outbursts, unworthy of a trial?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MarcB said:

If Musk were to sue 50% of TV commenters for defamation, he'd surely would have enough money to pay Vern that comfortable pension he's so much after...


Or should we just regard all comments made the last few months as merely opinions and social media outbursts, unworthy of a trial?

Yes, we should do that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Great publicity for the Lawyers , sure they will get lots of other work through this case .

Clever publicity stunt from the Lawyers there  , all that free advertising .

Musk will probably hire them to represent all future opposition in his court cases ?

Lin Wood said in his closing statement that Mr. Musk dropped a 'nuclear bomb' on Mr. Unsworth. Given the outcome of this trial as it now stands, with a unanimous jury verdict in favor of Musk in less than one hour of deliberation, Mr. Wood may have very well dropped the bomb on himself.

Edited by SkyFax
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Why does Musk not just do whay he does best: shooting rubbish into space?

And why do you not do what you do best?

Nothing

 

Until you invent a proper solution for the world's garbage disposal

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pookiki said:

I think Mr. Mark Stephen's, Esq. better come to grip with defamation laws as they exist in the USA. One of the key issues was that Unsworth had not shown any tangible damages - on the contrary - no one paid any attention to Musk's comments and Unsworth's reputation remained unsullied.  Let it be!

Exactly, posters here think Thai law applies, thankfully not, now everyone knows he's not a pedo because of Musk's remark, if anything Vern's reputation is much better by the pedo remark, however the worst ordeal to suffer. Looks like Vern's lawyer is a snake as they usually are, he must have known there was no chance to win, did the lawyer benefit from the case. Lawyers are the biggest crooks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Business Insider yesterday:

 

Elon Musk's win over Vernon Unsworth was a miscarriage of justice, according to Unsworth's lawyer

 

Unsworth's lawyer (Lin Wood) did not take the jury's ruling lying down.

 

Wood added that his team would "explore legal options"  following the verdict.

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-defamation-win-miscarriage-justice-vernon-unsworth-lawyer-2019-12

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 6:07 AM, pookiki said:

I think Mr. Mark Stephen's, Esq. better come to grip with defamation laws as they exist in the USA. One of the key issues was that Unsworth had not shown any tangible damages - on the contrary - no one paid any attention to Musk's comments and Unsworth's reputation remained unsullied.  Let it be!

  • No that wasn’t the issue at all,if only you’d read the article- it was a question of identifying Vernon. Libel is indeed a tangible damage under US (and others) law . Financial detriment does not have to be demonstrated.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...