Traffic Fines Payment

Beggar

My Thai friend drives for Grab in Pattaya and got stopped by taxi drivers. They called the police and she got a fine of 2000 Baht. Does anybody know the current situation with non-payment of such fines? That's a lot of money for her. I know stories that she will have to pay at the next registration renewal. But there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet. 

It's a pickle indeed, the general consensus is that thai people don't pay their fines unless they absolutely have to, no one can say for sure weather this ticket will get lost in the bureaucracy or she will be flagged at her next car registration renewal, my advise pay it and forget about otherwise it linger in her minds for months to come...

Paying for a ride from an unlicensed driver is illegal.  She got "stopped by taxi drivers" 

So she admitted she was transporting people for money?  

Did she have a customer in the car who admitted to paying?

Am not sure how just working for "Grab" is worthy of a fine if no money exchange is in evidence.

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Paying for a ride from an unlicensed driver is illegal.  She got "stopped by taxi drivers" 

So she admitted she was transporting people for money?  

Did she have a customer in the car who admitted to paying?

Am not sure how just working for "Grab" is worthy of a fine if no money exchange is in evidence.

The customers were sitting in the car. Chinese tourists. The police told her no need to lie...

There was a discussion that perhaps in March next year Grab should become legal. Perhaps... 

These Grab drivers don't earn much and it is not legal. I told her several times already to do something different (she has a university degree - what doesn't mean much in Thailand). But she still has hope especially now in the Peak Season.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's a pickle indeed, the general consensus is that thai people don't pay their fines unless they absolutely have to, no one can say for sure weather this ticket will get lost in the bureaucracy or she will be flagged at her next car registration renewal, my advise pay it and forget about otherwise it linger in her minds for months to come...

She told me before that she will choose the "general consensus" ???? Next registration renewal is in the middle of next year. Many things can happen until then... 

As an FYI!  I was at the local Ban Amphoe Post Office today and saw that Traffic fines can be paid there.  I have not tried it and hope I never do but the local post office is generally more convenient than the police station.

So, the question is  - Is Grab legal or not.  Many Thai's are enjoying the lucrative business of an illegal operation (if it is indeed illegal) because  - let's face it - due to to internet availability of Grab (we are all connected!) and the complete dissatisfaction/scams of local operators - tourists are using Grab here (and worldwide). What is Grab's stance on it's operations in Thailand? This needs to be to established. ToT take note and adjust if you want to save your tourism industry and the livelihood of your traditional 'taxi' operators.  I was in Singapore recently and my taxi driver was connected to a number of ('Grab-like) internet providing companies - as well as being a regular freelance taxi.  He told me business has never been better.  

2 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

As an FYI!  I was at the local Ban Amphoe Post Office today and saw that Traffic fines can be paid there.  I have not tried it and hope I never do but the local post office is generally more convenient than the police station.

Yes - post offices are go - paid mine (it was the missus!) there yesterday.

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's a pickle indeed, the general consensus is that thai people don't pay their fines unless they absolutely have to, no one can say for sure weather this ticket will get lost in the bureaucracy or she will be flagged at her next car registration renewal,

Correct 

my advise pay it

No

and forget about otherwise it linger in her minds for months to come...

Probably not need.

i think 90%+ nothing will happen.

People say, that I it´s impossible to renew the car tax if you have unpaid tickets, but that´s not true. Not all cities are connected in the computer. I had no problem to renew my tax with 5 unpaid tickets. But they were all from other provinces. I could have a problem if they would be from Chiang Mai, the same province where I live.

1 hour ago, thenewgoo said:

So, the question is  - Is Grab legal or not.  Many Thai's are enjoying the lucrative business of an illegal operation (if it is indeed illegal) because  - let's face it - due to to internet availability of Grab (we are all connected!) and the complete dissatisfaction/scams of local operators - tourists are using Grab here (and worldwide). What is Grab's stance on it's operations in Thailand? This needs to be to established. ToT take note and adjust if you want to save your tourism industry and the livelihood of your traditional 'taxi' operators.  I was in Singapore recently and my taxi driver was connected to a number of ('Grab-like) internet providing companies - as well as being a regular freelance taxi.  He told me business has never been better.  

Grab is not world wide it only operates in Asia there is no Grab in Australia either

Grab is a Singapore-based company which offers ride hailing, ride sharing and food delivery services via its mobile app in Southeast Asia. In addition to Singapore, the company's services are available in countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines.

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

People say, that I it´s impossible to renew the car tax if you have unpaid tickets, but that´s not true. Not all cities are connected in the computer. I had no problem to renew my tax with 5 unpaid tickets. But they were all from other provinces. I could have a problem if they would be from Chiang Mai, the same province where I live.

She will find out. I was reading on the Internet that some never had to pay even at car registration - same as your experience. In the worst case they got a temporary registration for one month so that they had time to pay the fines.

12 hours ago, Beggar said:

The customers were sitting in the car. Chinese tourists. The police told her no need to lie...

There was a discussion that perhaps in March next year Grab should become legal. Perhaps... 

These Grab drivers don't earn much and it is not legal. I told her several times already to do something different (she has a university degree - what doesn't mean much in Thailand). But she still has hope especially now in the Peak Season.

She should be happy that she is a she. Because if she would be a he then maybe he would have been beaten up by other drivers.

31 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Grab is not world wide it only operates in Asia there is no Grab in Australia either

Grab is a Singapore-based company which offers ride hailing, ride sharing and food delivery services via its mobile app in Southeast Asia. In addition to Singapore, the company's services are available in countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines

The question wasn't 'is Grab world-wide?' as such - there are many Grab-like companies globally. Never mind - I take your point. I also see you note that Grab operates services in Thailand. Is this legally? Is the (only recognized) legal service Grab offer in Thailand the food? 

Archived