Pattaya shamed into action on safety and scams after German TV show exposes Thailand

webfact

21 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Every time I see the name Pattaya, I can not understand how it is possible that at the end of 2019 there are still people who wonder about that dustbin in the open air, a place of absolute vice for the losers from all over the world. I really never cease to be amazed at the human race. 

Been down Soi 22 Sukhmvit in Bangkok......?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Every time I see the name Pattaya, I can not understand how it is possible that at the end of 2019 there are still people who wonder about that dustbin in the open air, a place of absolute vice for the losers from all over the world. I really never cease to be amazed at the human race. 

Dustbin in the open air !!!! and your location say Bangkok one of the most polluted city in the world lol.....

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya can expect a greater police presence - at least in the coming days and weeks

Days, yes, weeks..........Nah.......way too optimistic.........

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This prompted the upper echelons of government - the Interior Ministry - to order Pattaya officials to get serious on crime and scams against the resort's 10 million annual foireign tourists.

After which they put the phone down, congratulated themselves on another job well done, and went back to the serious business of which model Mercedes to buy next, because we all know there will be zero follow up. The local plod etc also know the interest from higher up will fizzle out in a few days as the Government has a shorter attention span than a Goldfish.

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

Now if maybe Panorama could do a show about Thailand's inconsistent immigration policies then we'd be cooking on gas.

you mean how many people who are clearly no tourists use tourist visas in order to stay in the kingdom long term? or how many people work here without the relevant visas. inconsistencies certainly, though i doubt uk television audiences would be interested in watching such a programme.

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

Now if maybe Panorama could do a show about Thailand's inconsistent immigration policies then we'd be cooking on gas.

Panorama hahaha that show has zero integrity after they tried to destroy Tommy Robinson's life with their lies and fake news.

6 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I lived in Manila for 11 years back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked. As in most red light districts there was a mafia that protected the area and they policed their own. They were smart enough to realize that a few bad apples would destroy the business for everyone, so they dealt with them immediately without the necessity for police intervention. Why oh why are the Thais not wise enough to figure that out for themselves. It's not rocket science!

It was the same in Pattaya in the 80's/early 90's, everything was controlled from Chon Buri. That was what made Pattaya tick, what made it a proper party town. Then the whole tourist trend changed with the arrival of the Russians (no blame on the average Russian visitor) who brought their own brand of mafia with them. Thai control was lost, the police became empowered sorting the mess out, and we're all in this situation now. That's the way I saw it happen.

I witnessed how Manilla (Ermita at that time) was controlled in the 80's, Wan Chai in Hong Kong controlled in a similar fashion making it safe to have a fun night out. Not condoning criminal organizations (that would be very hypocritical of me) but sometimes it takes the person with the biggest stick to make it work.

IMHO of course......................

5 hours ago, mercman24 said:

called a meeting, that will sort it, i like the *formed a committee,* sounds a bit more *official* remember the  famous US guy (name slips me) who shamed them into getting rid of the power lines, and the farangs picking up trash, its sad they should  have to be shamed just to do normal every day jobs

Farangs picking up trash?  That's grounds for a fine, imprisonment and deportation right there!  No work visa, no volunteer visa.  All you need is an over zealous officer and your life will turn into a living hell!

The level to which the Pattaya authorities take for granted the tourists that bring them their money was underscored to me when I went to a beach over towards Jomtien about 9 months ago where there are several large apartment or condo developments right at the beach. That day I saw a roped off swimming area and these large sewage pipe/hoses from the Jomtien complexes which I assume were emptying raw sewage out right dead center in the roped off swimming area. The "sewage" hoses were two in number and rather large and occupied quite a significant part of the swimming area, so that I couldn't help but think that to go swimming in the swimming area would amount to swimming in a sewage tank. If what I saw at the Jomtien beach was what I think it was, they seem to think that investors in their condos and tourists should literally have to swim in their poo. Too many of these lapses seem like cruel and sadistic jokes on people who spend significant amounts of their hard earned and saved money to come here. The seemingly deliberate set up of foreign tourists for accidents, fatalities, misfortune, humiliations and drama etc seems to be a permanent feature of the psychology of the "planners" and authorities in Pattaya, as though they suffer a blow to their pride and egos to allow foreigners to enjoy themselves in their country  such that you have little faith they will ever change their ways because of one news expose or a hundred. How many stories has there already been? It is too late anyway, the word is out about Thailand and it is too expensive to have to put up with the nastiness of people running things here.

The corruption at all levels, the deflection and the finger pointing is cured by pronouncements, proclamations and edicts from all high. Tomorrow, it is business as usual; with the sharks feeding on the unwary tourists, taxis not using meters, scams, shams and fake smiles; accompanied by check point on-the-spot fines and other assorted dysfunction. 

Okay.  Apparently the snatch thieves and scam artists only operate between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. so strong police presence during those times.  These acts go on all day every day.  A strong police presence from 8 a.m. until 4 a.m. seems more appropriate.  And yes, without the prostitute sniffing/seeing eye dogs along on the occasional walks looking for evidence of prostitution none will be found. 

2 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

The level to which the Pattaya authorities take for granted the tourists that bring them their money was underscored to me when I went to a beach over towards Jomtien about 9 months ago where there are several large apartment or condo developments right at the beach. That day I saw a roped off swimming area and these large sewage pipe/hoses from the Jomtien complexes which I assume were emptying raw sewage out right dead center in the roped off swimming area. The "sewage" hoses were two in number and rather large and occupied quite a significant part of the swimming area, so that I couldn't help but think that to go swimming in the swimming area would amount to swimming in a sewage tank. If what I saw at the Jomtien beach was what I think it was, they seem to think that investors in their condos and tourists should literally have to swim in their poo. Too many of these lapses seem like cruel and sadistic jokes on people who spend significant amounts of their hard earned and saved money to come here. The seemingly deliberate set up of foreign tourists for accidents, fatalities, misfortune, humiliations and drama etc seems to be a permanent feature of the psychology of the "planners" and authorities in Pattaya, as though they suffer a blow to their pride and egos to allow foreigners to enjoy themselves in their country  such that you have little faith they will ever change their ways because of one news expose or a hundred. How many stories has there already been? It is too late anyway, the word is out about Thailand and it is too expensive to have to put up with the nastiness of people running things here.

I sold my condo at a considerable loss after just a few years the new complex started to fall apart, render falling off and crashing to the ground, cracks in the walls, rusted rebar protruding and not fit for purpose around salt water pools, leaking rooftops, broken down Jacuzzis that are never properly fixed after months of waiting, landscaped gardens dead, rotting and broken fixtures and features, paper-thin non-soundproofed walls, non-compliance of yearly maintenance fees by a large % of owners, etc, etc, etc. 

Ended up in a terrible legal stalemate with the developer and construction company.  A dream purchase had become a depressing nightmare.  Committee meetings were screaming matches with stressed and angry owners. 

Years on after the boom, there are empty shells of construction sites where poor investors have lost their hard earned money.  Company spruikers keen to take your money and update Facebook pages showing construction progress where there is none.  

It seems that empty failed sites or crumbling condo complexes, are eventually re-sold, demolished and the cycle begins again to unwary tourists ... rinse and repeat.  The construction industry here has no proper oversight and consumer protection is zero. 

Now as well with the very high Thai baht I cannot understand why any sane person would buy.  Of course any agent will always tell you, "Now is the right time to buy" or "the right time to sell"!  

And then to wonder down to Jomtien beach to see it looking like an unflushed filthy toilet and garbage everywhere - hmmm.  You scratch your head and wonder what the hell was I thinking!!!

It is LOST OF FACE!  when that happens they JUMP, PHOTO OP, we mean business, then the next morning back to the same old stuff do nothing but it has the Thai thinking " something is being done "  wait it takes time Mai Pen Rai.

Maybe they can get the fire department to respond to a fire that is next door behind them Holiday Inn Express on Soi Baukhao.

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Another pathetic non response from the authorities.  They didn't need a meeting to know that Pattaya is a (deleted) hole full of scams and criminals. As usual they wring their hands, but will do nothing.  I wonder how the farang apologists for this dump of a  City will react to this German programme.  That will be more interesting to me.   No doubt the " I have lived here for 20 years and I have had no problems at all, it's a lovely place" , brigade will be up in arms shortly.  ????

I couldn't open the link to the video, could you give a brief outline

of the list of scams, just to see if there are any new ones that haven't been disclosed 

here on a regular basis.

For the record, I have certainly been overcharged for beer, been over generous to more

than one lady of dubious virtue but I don't see them as scams, more a failure of my 

common sense.

The only taxis I use are pre-booked to and from the airport, or the occasional motor bike.

I have never been near a jetski of any kind, dual pricing I don't consider a scam as

entry fees are clearly stated at the entrance giving you the choice to visit or not.

I do enjoy my visits to Pattaya, I'm not looking for love short, or long time as I have

a lovely little lady who keeps me more than busy. I acknowledge that it is not perfect,

there may well be a mafia running the place, but I'm yet to wake up with a horse's 

head in my bed.

I prefer it as a city to Bangkok as everything is a lot more compact and accessible and 

most shops, restaurants and services are there. 

I don't live there, when I'm in Thailand I spend most of my time in Ubon, but spend a few 

days there before and after my international flights.

7 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I lived in Manila for 11 years back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked. As in most red light districts there was a mafia that protected the area and they policed their own. They were smart enough to realize that a few bad apples would destroy the business for everyone, so they dealt with them immediately without the necessity for police intervention. Why oh why are the Thais not wise enough to figure that out for themselves. It's not rocket science!

"back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked"

That was ~40 years ago in Manila. Now people get mugged and killed everywhere. I have been in Pattaya/Jomtien since -94, and there's been no big problem until quite recently. There's been reports about crazy farangs on the street attacking people and ladyboys scamming people. 

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

why should they? People in the UK have absolutely no interest in how expats who have managed to escape to the 'tropical paradise' of Thailand have some small local issues with immigration.  Tough luck they would say and they would be dead on. Suck it up and get on with life,

Those that haven't been actually think that there are ladyboys on every street corner. 

????

So...I guess no more muggings, no more attack on Tourists, no more overcharging, no more bar rip offs, no more Police  / immigration extortion, no more beach walk nightime attacks, no more bike accidents, no more bar druggings, no more hassles...well thats the end of Pattaya...a place rich in local cultures and filthy beaches and dirt everywhere!  In your dreams!!!

Archived