Pattaya shamed into action on safety and scams after German TV show exposes Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Many in Pattaya will be asking themselves why it takes foreign media to highlight issues in the city that have been known for years, notes Thaivisa

Because it takes foreign media to get anything done.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

And why such issues as scams and safety for tourists can't be solved by local action without the need for foreign prompting.

Because unless it involves Thais the local officials don't give a damn!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

why should they? People in the UK have absolutely no interest in how expats who have managed to escape to the 'tropical paradise' of Thailand have some small local issues with immigration.  Tough luck they would say and they would be dead on. Suck it up and get on with life,

Agree that the outlook by the “common man” would be less than sympathetic. Thus the UK can freeze your pensions if you do not remain trapped in the economy where the working middle class has suffered under the economic squeeze. Your not alone, of course, there are many working middle class who have managed to escape to a lower cost country for a higher standard of living in retirement than they could have had at home. I am one from the US but there are scores of working middle class folk here from Europe, N. America, Australia.

I wonder if the powers that be ever read Thaivisa’s comments ? They would have a clear picture of how LOS is run: corruption, road safety, scams, the list is endless.. 

I guess it wouldn’t make a difference. Or maybe they to read, dislike the comments and decide to make life harder to those expats who show the real side of the coin.. 

I dont how anyone would want to take a young family to Thailand never mind PUKE-It..Ive seen them buggies and kids in tow.The long haul flights,heat,pollution,insects,zero hygene and lethal roads test the strongest never mind babies and toddlers.Off their rockers.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hilarious thats what it is, German tv highlights the scams in Pattaya.

So nowthere will be a massive knee jerk reaction, from city hall, police, then in a week or 2 back to the usual, police sleeping, cameras not working, pityfull, pathetic situation.

24 hour crackdown. ????

9 hours ago, BestB said:

Thais should stop over reacting . Pattaya is one of the safest places on earth considering number of people and alcohol .

russians were dumb enough to wear huge gold chains in the evening, they could not do that back in their home town village .

So you blame the Russians? I know many places on earth where you can walk with lots of gold and diamonds around your neck without being robbed. But I guess you also blame girls with sexy outfits if they are raped.

12 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

500 baht fine.  Move on. 

Yeah - hard hitting consequences is the key - in their absence the problems will continue as a never ending story ... :thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, Elzear said:

I wonder if the powers that be ever read Thaivisa’s comments ? They would have a clear picture of how LOS is run: corruption, road safety, scams, the list is endless.. 

I guess it wouldn’t make a difference. Or maybe they to read, dislike the comments and decide to make life harder to those expats who show the real side of the coin.. 

It seems the only two things that drive change are: 1. Damage to the almighty image, 2. Loss of revenue.

Safety, law, ethical/moral behavior by public servants and honor are largely absent. Accumulation of wealth and power overides the teachings of The Great Teacher, and are respresented by ornate buildings, manmade icons and corrupt mortals.

Some may say that these are worldwide problems. My reply is that we are talking about Thailand.

12 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I lived in Manila for 11 years back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked. As in most red light districts there was a mafia that protected the area and they policed their own. They were smart enough to realize that a few bad apples would destroy the business for everyone, so they dealt with them immediately without the necessity for police intervention. Why oh why are the Thais not wise enough to figure that out for themselves. It's not rocket science!

in Amsterdam, at least in the red light district, trouble makers used to be given a free swimming session in the canal.

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not at all, except that I was freezing cold in bed last night, I just don't see that immigration issues are such a big problem in my live, irritating sometimes, but not so big a problem.  To be honest, I would rather see a programme on how to avoid green algae in my pool.  ????

Solution ,  remove the water ..

13 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I lived in Manila for 11 years back in the late 70's and 80's and ran the red light district waaaaay too much, but I never had a problem and never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked. As in most red light districts there was a mafia that protected the area and they policed their own. They were smart enough to realize that a few bad apples would destroy the business for everyone, so they dealt with them immediately without the necessity for police intervention. Why oh why are the Thais not wise enough to figure that out for themselves. It's not rocket science!

They were. Pattaya has always been a mafia protected town until recently.  The Junta has destabilised the system and the idea of Pattaya becoming a family resort has been ruinous in attracting inappropriate tourists especially fools who get mugged and expect police action. Flooding the streets with Paramilitary police just scares people and is really offputting for tourists.

15 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

" I never knew of anyone being scammed or attacked " ( in Manila in the late 70s and 80s) .   NOW YOU DO  ........... ME . scammed several times during that period . I also know several more people who were . 

Can ThaiVisa News please provide any objective information on the utilization of any Thai undercover LEO operations presently employed in these apparent high crime areas?

If in fact there are no 'decoy' teams being utilized it certainly would be a significant shortfall in LE protocol and techniques to serve the 'Public Good'.

16 hours ago, madmitch said:

Pattaya might have snatch thefts and scams but at least there's no prostitution!

That's so true. The Thais are generally easy going but when it comes to things that might reflect badly on the nation they put their foot down. You've got to respect them for that.

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not at all, except that I was freezing cold in bed last night, I just don't see that immigration issues are such a big problem in my live, irritating sometimes, but not so big a problem.  To be honest, I would rather see a programme on how to avoid green algae in my pool.  ????

Make a start by not peeing in it! ???? 

12 hours ago, Thailand Noobie said:

And what about daytime scams?

Jetski etc...

importance of that, according to some, depends::
the hip folks gettin home from the party and the good folks just got up
note:
omitted the bit about a crooked delegation
as that was a local issue, not applicable, only in Harlem.
(https://lyrics-keeper.com/it/bill-withers/harlem.html)

Totally correct .. a very uninteresting subject for those not affected or involved in any way. Any eejit knows what the levels of efficiency are in Thailand .. so if you want to submit yourself to those standards by living in the place .. well.. you have made that bed .. now live in it . I love visiting many times a year but I feel the frustration creeping in after 2 weeks just dealing with normal day to day stuff and know it’s time to leave. It’s kinda 3rd world really that’s wearing a mock first world cloak. No Hab ! 

Archived