Tourism minister in Samui: Hints at baht action and "new group" of tourists - all revealed next month

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better.   The people running the country are in dire need of attitude adjustment. Until that happens the slide in the economy , tourism include

These people better wake up. It was never all about the baht! Read my lips....NEVER about the BAHT   You think for instance an American is going to change vacation destination because n

"All would be revealed next month, he said before handing out shields to brave Thais who had helped tourists escape drowning and honest ones who had returned wallets."    WooHoo! Time to pic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, meechai said:

These people better wake up.

It was never all about the baht! Read my lips....NEVER about the BAHT

You think for instance an American is going to change vacation destination because now he only gets

30 baht for a dollar instead of 31-32-33??? Heck no !

Instead look at all the bad press Thailand has gotten

Start with a Military Junta/Seudo elected govt

Next add onerous immigration

Then look at things like visiting Thailand is dangerous to your health

60 dead per day on roads is not very enticing is it?

The list goes on & on  it is a cause & effect now in motion that will take years to clear

Because as this gets worse regular Thai's sellers/businesses get depressed / economically stressed

There goes the land of smiles

Next as folks move off to find better vacation spots they do not instantly come back because now you get 32 instead of 30 baht to a dollar

Instead they have already booked next years get away & will only return when they read once again favorable reviews from reliable sources

that Thailand is once again a nice vacation spot

The imbeciles confuse tourists with expats. Expats care most about income conversion to Baht tourist are tourist aka: two week millionaires

I cannot believe those in charge do not know this

Lastly do not forget there are still many folks in the world who will never support a Seudo govt like this no matter how good the

deal is

You are right but seriously I don’t think it’s the junta because the country was just as corrupt (if not more) before than it is today. Travelers would visit if the baht wasn’t overvalued, not because of politics. I’m not in favor but I’d say Thailand is way more stable & safe compared to rest of SE Asia.  

• Like 2

Um, while we’re on the subject of the high Baht—did anyone else notice the Chinese Yuan went up today vs. Thai Baht?  And at the same time, the USD sank 5 Satang vs the Baht?

So how about a bit less Chinese hot money inflow at Bank of Thailand?  It would go a long way—toward restoring tourism, and the economy.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, webfact said:

TNA reported that the Minister for Tourism and Sports went to Koh Samui on a fact finding mission to hear local opinion as the tourism sector suffers a downtown in the number of visitors.

All the resorts will take a hard hit this year, only the single backpacking persons usually book a late flight.
All the families with kids etc have booked ahead with a schedule to coincide with the school holidays.

A German friend of mine has booked a resort hotel in Egypt for a month in July with his Thai wife & daughter...

they say it's half the price of coming to Thailand for two weeks!

• Like 2

I’ll take a stab at the incoming “new group of tourists to arrive next month”.  The scientists at TAT have developed a time machine, and will set the date back to 2016–when all western (and OZ and NZ) currencies had normal valuations.  And there were no free Chinese visas.

I can dream, can’t I?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, racket said:

Another problem is that Thailand is marketing tourists to visit during the raining/monsoon season which is a deplorable time for travels since they expect sunshine and crystal waters, but upon arrival they will be welcomed by thunder showers and flash floods.

Sorry, but who booked a trip without taking a look before in the internet how the weather will be during his trip, deserves a lot of rain and thunderstorm.

• Like 1

Most of the "Koh's" in Thailand have become mafia run dens with corrupt and criminal oriented individuals and police,  on the hunt to scam, rob, trap and extort or sometimes harm,  foreigners.....some nations have published warnings on their homeland websites to warn on traveling to the thai islands.....shameful !!!

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 2