BANGKOK
webfact

Tourism minister in Samui: Hints at baht action and "new group" of tourists - all revealed next month

9 minutes ago, saengd said:

That would be a good trick, RMB is hard linked to USD and THB is a managed float (soft linked) against USD, any movement between the two would have been minor. Having said those things, RMB did fall quite substantially or so I heard, I don't track YUAN so I don't know by how much.

no problem..... as I said, it all depends where you look, there are always 2 versions, as I do have interests in China does have to follow the Renminbi as well as the Baht VS the USD

On 1/23/2020 at 11:11 AM, spidermike007 said:

Yes, but it sounds like you spend a significant amount of time here. For tourists, there are so many other factors. The high baht makes the trip 10% more expensive for them. A factor. But, perhaps not the deciding factor. 

I live in malaysia and go to thailand about 3 times a year, about a week each visit. Have done this for 5 years.

Im the last year I have chosen vietnam and manila.

Reasons were high baht and dont like getting so nervous at imm. 

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

no problem..... as I said, it all depends where you look, there are always 2 versions, as I do have interests in China does have to follow the Renminbi as well as the Baht VS the USD

Yes agreed. But for those who are simply trying to understand why the currency movement occurred it's important (I think) to make sure people look at all sides of the equation... what did USD do, what did RMB do and finally what did THB do, in the case of the latter not much happened at all, all the movement was in the other halves of the currency pairs. What all of that says is that BOT isn't doing anything much to weaken THB, they are relying on the movements of other currencies.

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

What all of that says is that BOT isn't doing anything much to weaken THB, they are relying on the movements of other currencies.

and there you just said it..... as always, Thailand relying on somebody else to solve their problems

On 12/9/2019 at 8:14 AM, webfact said:

He hinted that the government had plans for the baht and stimulus measures to lure foreign tourists.

hope he's not referring to the "rich" Indian (billionaires) as that was already proposed and didn't work out

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

and there you just said it..... as always, Thailand relying on somebody else to solve their problems

I'm not sure but I think if I was BOT and my currency was the size of a small town in Ohio yet I was soft pegged to the currency of the entire USA, I think I'd probably do exactly what BOT's doing, you'd have to be pretty foolish to do otherwise.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:04 AM, saengd said:

I'm not sure but I think if I was BOT and my currency was the size of a small town in Ohio yet I was soft pegged to the currency of the entire USA, I think I'd probably do exactly what BOT's doing, you'd have to be pretty foolish to do otherwise.

They cant find nobody else they gone through every country so they decide to stick with the Chinese and Indians and to be honest I cannot see the Chinese and Indians the type of people who will keep coming back here so wait and see how it play out they will run out of people soon

On 12/9/2019 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

He hinted that the government had plans for the baht and stimulus measures to lure foreign tourists. He promised a "new group" of tourists, more domestic tourism and sustainable tourism. 

Knowing the competence of most members of this cabinet, I'd wager Khun Pipat had no idea in hell what he was on about. He was probably just reciting from a script presented to him minutes before he went public. Plans and promises - we have all heard that before :cheesy:

10 hours ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

They cant find nobody else they gone through every country so they decide to stick with the Chinese and Indians and to be honest I cannot see the Chinese and Indians the type of people who will keep coming back here so wait and see how it play out they will run out of people soon

Unlike Europeans, the Chinese don't do the same vacation year after year; they like a new experience, so planning on them as long-term repeat tourists is not realistic.

1 minute ago, GalaxyMan said:

Unlike Europeans, the Chinese don't do the same vacation year after year; they like a new experience, so planning on them as long-term repeat tourists is not realistic.

I agree with you, I dont find the Chinese being repeat tourist even when they are here most stay 2 or 3 days and move on

On 12/9/2019 at 8:14 AM, webfact said:

He promised a "new group" of tourists

"Next month has come and gone - right along with the Chinese.  :laugh: 
In retrospect, what group did he pander too.  Indian tourists? <laughs>  Mid-February and the most predominate tourist demographic in Chiang Mai is - those 'da*n farangs' whom Health Ministry Anutin disdains. 
Thailand's on a roll.  Who will be left when the evil farangs leave? 

Edited by connda

On 2/12/2020 at 8:56 AM, GalaxyMan said:

You’re forgetting the fact that there are 1.5 billion of them. If 30 million of them visit Thailand every year and never come back, the supply won’t dry up in the next 50 years.