Immigration chief: Don't scare the tourists away by being too strict - we need them and their money

webfact

Just now, Filipplenoir said:

Just last week a russian lady was bitten by a monkey in Phuket. Pharmacy sold her some pills. On way back from the hospital friendly police decided to check her passport. And also her bag. Found pills without prescription. She spent 2days in prison. Now on 10 k bail. Lawer wants 1.2 mil to speedify the case. Otherwise could take 3 months to return to st Petersburg. Read it on newsru.com

Insanity.  

If you can,t do the time,don,t do the crime.????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Tell that to the Tourism Minister! Oh, and give him a hug while you're at it!

TNA reported that the Minister for Tourism and Sports went to Koh Samui on a fact finding mission to hear local opinion as the tourism sector suffers a downtown in the number of visitors. 

I'm not claiming that tourist numbers are increasing, I'm merely pointing out to the moaners and complainers on this thread that the tourists haven't stopped coming, just that there's less of them. Tourism remains a major income stream for the kingdom.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but IMO they don't want retired expats in LOS...

Sorry, not agree,

if they wanted to do that, they would have changed the Immigration rules for everyone. 

See my previous post here above. 

But once again, I am conscious that everything can change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Maybe not for tourists, but as replacements for the single-use plastic bags. now that really would be win-win ????

Neil Wraggs is your man.

Fair idea. But would there be enough vinyl to supply the entire retail sector in Thailand?

I suspect not unless Big Joke's secret stash could be plundered. 

Rooster

• Haha 1

The OP is a bit missleading.

Big Oud said this to the immigration officers in Mae Hong Son, he didn't address the immigration officers country wide.

Mae Hong Son doesn't have a real(*) border crossing, so the question is: About which situations exactly was he talking? It was probably not related to foreigners entering Thailand.

(*) There are crossings where people do some border trade, but afaik there is no crossing where a non-Thai and non-Myanmar citizen could officially enter the other country.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Westerners living in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Myanmar are now limited to two free land entries per year.  Because of this rule, Thailand is foregoing millions of baht in purchases that these foreigners would have made if able, as before, to conveniently shop in Thailand.  (Flying in, or paying 1000 baht per entry, with the loss of two business days' time to visit the embassy for each such entry, is decidedly not convenient.)  When will a new visa category be made to accommodate these non-resident guests?  I personally know many who have been adversely affected by the rule change, some who now go to other countries instead of to Thailand, despite the longer journey to do so.  I wonder if anyone in Thailand has been tracking the numbers on this to see how much they have lost.

Vietnam isn't connected to Thailand by land ????

The foreigners could get a METV if they really visit Thailand often through land borders, of course the price for a METV could put some off

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Good thinking. Have you got Pat. Pending on that idea?

Never thought of that...is there a patent office in QUOTES?

Rooster

No, only in capital letters.

I think you'd have a better idea than me. Doesn't it probably come under IPR, if at all?

It's a hard life being a wit. Pity I'm only halfway there.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Sorry, not agree,

if they wanted to do that, they would have changed the Immigration rules for everyone. 

See my previous post here above. 

But once again, I am conscious that everything can change. 

They have changed the rules. Used to be easy, but last time I extended I used an agent as it's become so barking with invented new rules that are not nation wide. I miss LOS, but immigration not a jot.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

No, only in capital letters.

I think you'd have a better idea than me. Doesn't it probably come under IPR, if at all?

It's a hard life being a wit. Pity I'm only halfway there.

Half way if you are a DIMWIT or a NITWIT but three quarters if just a TWIT.

regards,

Rooster

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

Ah...the classic "I personally have no problems. so naturally there are no problems"!

Please don't forget to ad the "If you don't like it, go home"- BS!

Can you read? I never said there are no problems, I merely provided a counterpoint plus asked in what way Immigration could ease up on expats. And don't ever assume you can read into my inner thoughts with your "don't forget to ad, etc". Mind you, I note you are a "senior member" so perhaps your faculties are failing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They have changed the rules. Used to be easy... 

I am conscious that the Australia, Great Britain, U.S.A. citizens represent the biggest % of the expats here.

However we, the rest of the world, are still a great number.

They haven't changed the rules for us;

so still "easy". 

So far. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Half way if you are a DIMWIT or a NITWIT but three quarters if just a TWIT.

regards,

Rooster

But not a halfwit though?

You could probably tell me in less than two seconds which of those words has the higher scrabble score too.

• Like 1

geez, my ex must have his DNA? 

the topic for me is a de javu, minus the dress!

I recall at one point, one of her GF confidantes' came and told me (after the Ex split and long gone) 

- one of the Ex's secrets...

Ex had threatened each of her friends, to not tell me that she was cheating badly!

- the baby not his etc etc

She end that sequence by ordering them to not tell me, because...

well the words were:

"... don't tell him; for he will jump out the window!

- I want all his money first!..."

• Haha 1