Immigration chief: Don't scare the tourists away by being too strict - we need them and their money

webfact

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Shouldn't that be "fewer"? :whistling:

I wonder what happens to all the posters after they've been used (just once, can they be printed on the back too?), some of our local shops / food outlets have recycled advertising posters as blinds, not seen an immigration/police one yet.

saw this morning with my own eyes (didn't had my phone with me to take a photo) the vinyl poster store/maker was burning a lot of old ones, lots of heavy smoke

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not convinced they discriminate between an expat and a tourist.

We're all tourists to them.

I agree we are all tourists but we expats have more value because every month with us come to Thailand milliards baths, but I fear that this IO big boss has not yet understood

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:
1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

Half way if you are a DIMWIT or a NITWIT but three quarters if just a TWIT.

regards,

Rooster

But not a halfwit though?

You could probably tell me in less than two seconds which of those words has the higher scrabble score too.

It's a shame PRAWIT isn't allowed, it'd beat all three. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Vietnam isn't connected to Thailand by land ????

The foreigners could get a METV if they really visit Thailand often through land borders, of course the price for a METV could put some off

Apparently, you're not aware of the requirements for an METV.  Most of my friends who would like one are ineligible for one.  And, yes, the price is also part of why they don't go that route.  Who wants to spend money just to spend more money?  Just do your shopping locally, and maybe mail-order something from the homeland instead.

3 hours ago, digibum said:
4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

My goodness, what is this? An ounce of common sense? How the hell did that get into the country?

It entered on a 90-day tourist visa.  

Initially it was denied entry and flew out after two days in detention, but it then managed to get back in at the Laos border...

2 hours ago, digibum said:

Ahh, the classic, “There are legitimate problems with immigration so I’m going to denigrate the entire country and ascribe everything to some sinister plot directed against me.”  Please don’t forget the “Expats are leaving in droves.  The planes at Swampy are full of people fleeing the oppressive Thai immigration.  Thailand will soon become a failed nation without our money.” BS! 

Did I say any of the tosh, you attribute to my post?

Or are you just dreaming stuff up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

His statements seemed to be a softening of the "bad guys out" rhetoric replacing it with a "please come back to Thailand we need you" message, observes Thaivisa. 

I'm not sure that "bad guys out" and "please come to Thailand" are contradictory messages, unless they want more 'bad guys' to come... 

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

What and expats living here do nothing for the economy , maybe you should look at ways of helping us instead of making it harder .

exactly all these skilled and also unskilled tourists who could work and stay and pay taxes to thai government ridiculous how thailand does not want that , think its too late to get tourists to trust immigration anymore , GBP at 39 baht to pound scares me , also only a 2 month visa and cannot do more than 3 months a year , one squirt and its 2000 baht wish i was on 50 pounds an hour , they should be glad i did not go to another country that appreciates tourists , i will be next year going elsewhere 

Edited by hottrader77
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Probably, in his train of thoughts, we are "glorified" tourists.

This is telling!

The razzias and strictness are indeed very bad for tourism.

And Thailand is feeling the crunch.

Other countries will gladly take over from Thailand.

In my circle, two farang went back home, one went to Vietnam, two went to Phillipines and one is selling things for relocating to Indonesia.

Me?

I am, after living in Thailand since 2005, preparing things to be able to depart within a week and making things possible in Manilla.

even the thai's in my circle are now holidaying in Vietnam, one (my physiotherapist) has been there 4 times this year.

why?

"cheap cheap" he said - 1200 baht flights and 400 baht lobsters!

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

there's still well over 35 million coming here annually.

CM very dead now, words out.  i have been double charged by red cab drivers now to make up for the drop in numbers, thinking i am tourist man.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1