Immigration chief: Don't scare the tourists away by being too strict - we need them and their money

webfact

3 hours ago, Filipplenoir said:

Just last week a russian lady was bitten by a monkey in Phuket. Pharmacy sold her some pills. On way back from the hospital friendly police decided to check her passport. And also her bag. Found pills without prescription. She spent 2days in prison. Now on 10 k bail. Lawer wants 1.2 mil to speedify the case. Otherwise could take 3 months to return to st Petersburg. Read it https://russian.rt.com/world/article/693830-tailand-lekarstvo-apteka-tyurma-rossiyanka

Insanity.  

Makes no sense.  First there is pharmacy, then a hospital???  I hope she was at the hospital getting rabies and tetanus injections. I don't know what kind of "pills" she got from the pharmacy, maybe something for the pain.  I am a little bit out of the loop, but can you even get any "good stuff" at a local pharmacy without a connection?  Do they even have it? Something doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, banagan said:

Sort out the Thai baht.
Scrap the pointless T-M30.
Scrap the 90 day reporting for long term expats.

Fix the toxic air for 1/4 of the year up north.

Probably too late to un-5hit the bed.

Grant longer termers PR & tie it to good behaviour (drink driving an' all that!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Initially it was denied entry and flew out after two days in detention, but it then managed to get back in at the Laos border...

"It"???  Who are you talking about, the monkey that bit the Russian lady?  ????

• Haha 2

Mean while immigration extorts billions of baht from expats 800000 baht locked away at 1ercent interest while SOMEONE makes a bundle lending  it out at 7%. To me that makes 400000 baht i no longer spend in my local community each year .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure that means in plain Engrish:

We won't change the regulations and apply them consistently. We'll leave the regulations as they are, then when tourism picks up and have enough victims, we can start making money out of them again.

Always as before and after Asian financial crisis, Tsunami, Bangkok Burning etc., 

Yes, funny how they ignore the plight of expats.  We spend far more in a year than a dozen week-long tourists do,  

And we have enough connections in our home countries, that a negative reference can hurt future tourism.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

What and expats living here do nothing for the economy , maybe you should look at ways of helping us instead of making it harder .

Think its a bit late for this. On my last 3 occasions with TR I have been grilled by the IO time. And its a bit off putting to say the least.

Surely if my TR has been granted and paid for there should be none of the shenanigans that some of us have endured 

• Like 2