Immigration chief: Don't scare the tourists away by being too strict - we need them and their money

webfact

16 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

I finally figured out why the police always line up for a photo op behind the criminals they catch for a photo op. They remind me of the Japanese soldiers during WWII when a group of them would line up behind bodies of the dead for their photo op.

My stepdaughter just completed her booklet of accomplishments as a government English teacher to present to her superiors to plead for a pay raise. She included all the photos taken at all the various events in which she participated in the past few years, and those all serve to demonstrate her good works which might merit a promotion and pay raise. I guess the coppers have the same sort of system, so the more photos they produce with their mug in the background, the better chance they have for a nice pay raise. That, plus they use the photos/videos in an attempt to convince the public that they are actually fighting crime and not just robbing the public at police check points, extorting businesses for protection money, running drugs, massage parlors and gambling establishments....not to mention a host of other corrupt practices.   

I thought it was calculated from the number of 5% commissions they received from the DLT tickets written. 

So I'm wondering if folks entering on short visas and folks entering,

on say, a NON OA visa all get counted into the total tourist arrivals?

I will wager someone will soon notice that since the end of November applications for Non OA have gone from XXXX's.... to X......
or maybe even to a fat 0

Maybe this is the door opening for one of those classic Thai U-turns on policy??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

immigration officers should not be a hindrance and should show professionalism with humanity and compassion. 

lol, for real ?

a few months back, during divorce stage, was at immigration with my child, to provide me help in getting a visa to be able to stay with my child in thailand to raise her, as mommie is a psycho and left the building to go f. around.

the only thing they said was, after insisting with the head of immigration, even with my lawyer on the phone, that the head of immigration was right about LAW and not my lawyer, to get a tourist visa, not before ironically asking, who is going to do the TM30 when you return ...

being a tourist now after living here 10+ years as my <deleted> ex-wife does not want to provide some papers so I could go apply

1 hour ago, Stoker58 said:

Short term tourists come, stay for a few weeks, and leave. They rarely have any dealings with immigration.

it’s the long term ex-pats who are on the receiving end of all their bad attitude.

How true.

Last year I had a brush with my local immigration office. This year I was pleased to see the office had been closed and all the staff demoted due to concerns of corruption. Had a smile on my face for days after that...

• Like 2

So now you see the real reason for immigration, Money, Money, Money!

Long timers know how to spend money here and being so silly means he not have clue what he is doing. His job should be base on honesty fair and control all illegals living in Thailand, Instead he wish to impress is authority on all who obey Thailand Laws regardless. Authority of all Embassy abroad gave the vetting according to law, yet he instructed his own authority that will push more to leave Thailand.I bet he would not pass Police or Army inspection by his mother of doing a job to be proud by all. Just look at the payment rules. Just look at the Mess of the TM30.  So many good companies stated wrong to place on foreigners living in Thailand & following the Law.  It is about all "MONEY"with out a cashier, Why so? Each office can split up the money stolen from foreigners. Just look at the BMW and Mercedes in parking lots? Where is Cashier security room? Why not payment by ATM? It leaves a record! Do a Permanent Residence Permit payment of 100,000 must be in cash in Bangkok? Yes that is correct, not even a bank check. If you are not allowed to renew your Visa, You must leave Thailand regardless of Bank loans, Car loans or care for wife and kids support. Surprised? I am not as it has happen to me.

I wish all foreigners who know the good part living in Thailand without immigration always. The Thai people are very kind and a pleasure to live next to. Thanks to all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

But it's still "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!"

That's the Elixir on this planet! Who would say no to money?

Plenty money, plenty honey... isn't it what's everyone is talking about in here???

1 hour ago, Stoker58 said:

Short term tourists come, stay for a few weeks, and leave. They rarely have any dealings with immigration.

it’s the long term ex-pats who are on the receiving end of all their bad attitude.

Not always. My pal is retired and visits Pattaya for a holiday for a month 5 times year. He got detained at Swampy and was accused of working in the LOS. Although they finally let him in it was touch and go while they had him in an interrogation room and grilled him for 40 minutes.

He's not a long term ex-pat but the experience certainly left a bitter taste in his mouth.

• Like 1