Pattaya: Foreigner and Thai girlfriend in hospital after motorcycle crash at Jomtien "Bend of Death

webfact

Pattaya: Foreigner and Thai girlfriend in hospital after motorcycle crash at Jomtien "Bend of Death

6pm.jpg

Thai caption: Bend of Death

Police and rescue services rushed to Jomtien Sai 2 after a foreigner and a Thai woman came off a motorcycle at a bend. 

Nongkhran, 35, suffered two broken legs and was found face down next to an unidentified foreigner who was unconscious after the 6 am accident on Saturday. 

CPR was given to the foreigner at the scene before both victims were taken to hospital.

They appeared to have lost control on their Yamaha T-Max motorcycle and collided with a tree. 

77kaoded said that locals have called that stretch of road the "Bend of Death" after a series of accidents where people have died and been injured. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-09

Welcome to Jomtien's Bend of Death.

Sounds like a 1950's Fairground attraction.

I suppose putting measures in to slow vehicles down is a bit beyond them, or possibly isn't being done as they'd be ignored and just result in more morons killing themselves and others. 

"bend of death".

Oh no.

It's on Jomtien 2nd rd at the fairly new high rise "The Grand" (monstrous twin tower)

Can't tell how often I passed there.

But bend of death????

Every bend can mean death for hools/drunks/racers.

Not excluding that there was 3rd party in the way.

bendofdeath.jpg

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"bend of death".

Oh no.

It's on Jomtien 2nd rd at the fairly new high rise "The Grand" (monstrous twin tower)

But bend of death????

bendofdeath.jpg

I know of two foreign riders who have been killed on that bend in the last 18 months..

Friends of friends.

No idea of how many Thai riders/passengers.

There may be an increase in the number of accidents there now that they have removed the roller-coaster effect after the recent re-surfacing of Sai Song Jomtien

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"bend of death".

Oh no.

But bend of death????

bendofdeath.jpg

That was my first thought. Riding sport 1000cc everyday in Jomtien, its pretty stright if you sober. 

21 minutes ago, bobbin said:

I know of two foreign riders who have been killed on that bend in the last 18 months..

Friends of friends.

No idea of how many Thai riders/passengers.

There may be an increase in the number of accidents there now that they have removed the roller-coaster effect after the recent re-surfacing of Sai Song Jomtien

Looks harmless in that photo. Maybe different if drunk and speeding?

38 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"bend of death".

Oh no.

But bend of death????

bendofdeath.jpg

Thanks for pinpointing this particularly wide, even, well-illuminated, clearly warning signed, divided carriageway's 'bend of death'.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for pinpointing this particularly wide, even, well-illuminated, clearly warning signed, divided carriageway's 'bend of death'.

Well I have hidden the fact that it is "downhill" before the bend in southern direction.

So another chance to "get the best out of" the little racing machine :whistling:

"Downhill": not really alpine but we are in Thailand, so....

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Well I have hidden the fact that it is "downhill" before the bend in southern direction.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"bend of death".

Oh no.

But bend of death????

bendofdeath.jpg

Double check your google map location. This is the Kawasaki test track. 

6 am..... I would hazard to guess copious amounts of alcohol which leads to ill thought out decisions and fearlessness on the bike. 

I particularly feel sorry for the Thai girl who I presume was on the back, We all make mistakes in life, hopefully they recover with no long term issues and a valuable lesson learned.

To be fair, I should point out there are plenty of "straight aways of death" available. Considering the awful driving here, I could include "sidewalks of death" as many motorcyclists here use them as convenient "secondary road" for a variety of reasons.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"bend of death".

Oh no.

But bend of death????

bendofdeath.jpg

Bend? All I can see is a very slight curve.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

They appeared to have lost control on their Yamaha T-Max motorcycle and collided with a tree. 

Did speed, first time in Thailand or beeing drunk had anything to do with the accident? Of course not, blame the bend or the tree.

11 hours ago, mercman24 said:

ok, not saying its the same guy but there was/is a guy racing round Jomtien a few days ago acting like a proper <deleted>. on a T max, shame about the poor lady, no sympathy for the idiot driver

The idiot is myself when I comment and label another as an idiot; concerning an incident I know only from reading a "news" report. Welcome to the club.

16 minutes ago, rech said:
8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Bend? All I can see is a very slight curve.

Really, I do not see how this road can be dangerous ?!

There is a fly over in Khlong Tan Junction (Sukhumvit 71 and Petchaburi rd) - there have been two motorcycle deaths (one Big Big Bike another a Scooter) on this fly over over the past 6 months, both accidents did not involve other vehicles.

The fly over has a couple of slight bends on it.

I fail to see how this fly over can be even remotely dangerous, yet accidents happen, kids ride too fast, are perhaps inexperienced etc...  

Just like this road in Pattaya, I just can't see how it can be dangers (unless a collision with a careless driver is also involved, which it seems it wasn't in this case). 

My suspicion is that people build up speed and then don't know how to counter-steer against the additional gyroscopic forces of a motorcycle which wants to stay upright and go straight ahead. 

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

EVERY street becomes a "bend of death" if the drivers are drunk and/or too fast. 

Archived