fat loss not as hard if you commit

robblok

'Eating disorders in men can be expressed in a different way to eating disorders in women – men and boys may be more preoccupied with having a muscular physique than losing weight. Male eating disorders are often closely linked with exercise and initially appear to be healthy, masking the underlying problem. For example, sudden weight loss may seem the result of a training programme for a sporting goal.'

You may wish to check out this link.

https://www.newbridge-health.org.uk/eating-disorders-help/men-and-eating-disorders/

For me cutting out bread and more walking worked, weight dropped off me in no time 83 down to 74 in 5 weeks. Fish, eggs, salad but a good fatty protein meal after gym..it certainly can be done quite easily with a few tweeks to ones routine and diet

• Like 1

You seem to forget a lot of things. Some people have it harder than others, which is something you have to take in to consideration. Sometimes that makes it harder to really commit. In other cases there is a wide variety of different metabolism. Which means that some people have to work duoble hard to get rid of their fat, as well as putting on 3 kilo as soon as they see a cake.

After that I also find it hard to understand what you mean with fat people. For yourself you are talking about weight gain of 2,5 kilo and you rush to the gym???

2,5 kilo extra is not at all what many people consider fat.

5 hours ago, seajae said:

been doing the keto diet now since May and have lost 15 kg, weight varies as I do cheat now and then but I am feeling a lot better and able to do more around the house, I have not been this weight for over 20 years after suffering a spinal injury, you just have to stick to it

A friend of mine on the Keto diet collapsed one day apparently due to not enough sodium in his system. Hope you can keep a check on it.

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

'Eating disorders in men can be expressed in a different way to eating disorders in women – men and boys may be more preoccupied with having a muscular physique than losing weight. Male eating disorders are often closely linked with exercise and initially appear to be healthy, masking the underlying problem. For example, sudden weight loss may seem the result of a training programme for a sporting goal.'

You may wish to check out this link.

https://www.newbridge-health.org.uk/eating-disorders-help/men-and-eating-disorders/

I would not call what i have is an eating disorder, though people who are fat themselves often think it is. I mean if someone has visible abs and a great physique its often threatening to them. So to be honest I don't really get your comment. 

I do know that from now on I am going to bulk a bit, something that I havent done for years as I always wanted to diet down. Now I found a level i like and I want to keep it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I'm down 11 kilo. Move more (10,000 steps) eat less - it's not rocket science. FitBit helped me the most as I am fanatical about those 10,000 steps daily.

Anyone without health problems will lose weight if they have the willpower, just watch your diet and do regular exercise, there is no excuse for all these big bellies on most farangs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You seem to forget a lot of things. Some people have it harder than others, which is something you have to take in to consideration. Sometimes that makes it harder to really commit. In other cases there is a wide variety of different metabolism. Which means that some people have to work duoble hard to get rid of their fat, as well as putting on 3 kilo as soon as they see a cake.

After that I also find it hard to understand what you mean with fat people. For yourself you are talking about weight gain of 2,5 kilo and you rush to the gym???

2,5 kilo extra is not at all what many people consider fat.

I am someone with a slow thyroid, proven by tests so I already got it hard

I am also one of these guys with a slow metabolism (probably thyroid related)

So I know exactly how it feels I have always struggled to keep weight of had to do double what others had to do. Its not fair but if i can lose weight everyone can.

Its just lack of real commitment and finding other things more important. That is it there are few people who can't lose weight if they give up some things. Problem is they usually don't want to give up things or make changes.

If it was up to me id prefer to eat two pizzas at night and drink loads of sugary drinks. I don't because it would make me fat. 

Your right about the 2.5 kg, did not make me rush to the gym. I could not rush to the gym I had an shoulder injury. But its frustrating if you diet down to a level that is nice and then gain 2.5 kg. But happy to lose it all and more while being on vacation and all that I had to do is eat loads of salads and be a bit hungry and just swim / snorkel for 2 hours a day. 

I lost more on that holiday and faster then I ever have at home doing gym work. Why mainly because  of the food. At home the hunger pangs are worse and i need to satisfy them. On the holiday i could ignore them. 

56 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I'm down 11 kilo. Move more (10,000 steps) eat less - it's not rocket science. FitBit helped me the most as I am fanatical about those 10,000 steps daily.

No its not rocket science at all, great work mate. And you got it right those 10.000 steps help a lot. Then eating a bit less and there you go. But you committed to it many are not willing to eat less or change what they eat. 

Well done keep it up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Anyone without health problems will lose weight if they have the willpower, just watch your diet and do regular exercise, there is no excuse for all these big bellies on most farangs.

I dont mind, their choice not mine. But they fail to accept its a choice. They don't want change bad enough so they dont. They prefer beer and bad foods (understandable) but then don't say its impossible. Be honest and say i want to keep doing what i did before.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seajae said:

been doing the keto diet now since May and have lost 15 kg, weight varies as I do cheat now and then but I am feeling a lot better and able to do more around the house, I have not been this weight for over 20 years after suffering a spinal injury, you just have to stick to it

That is the point, you need to make a change and stick to it. Not go back to what previously made you fat. Its a lifestyle change, that is why people fail. They diet, lose the weight go back to their bad habits.

It happens to me too, usually when i cant train for a reason i mind my diet a lot less strict.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

come on hollander.... you are lean and train and have muscles

so off course it is easier for you than fat lazy slobs to lose weight

muscles burn extra calories even at rest, fat does not

Wish i was gifted with a fast metabolic rate. I am not quite the opposite always need to do far more then others. The amount of calories a muscle burns is a bit overstated but yes it does help.

Also the less fat you have the better your insulin response is (that helps too).

But in the end its all about food (and a bit about training)

Finally my shoulder injury is healed (2 months i could not exercise and before that i could not go full because of the injury). So I am happy i can go again. Slow and steady. 

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not fair but if i can lose weight everyone can.

Let´s just end the conversation there. In other words you just said, that if Zlatan can be a professional football player, then everybody can.

And you ignore your hunger on a holiday??? Sweet jesus!

@jak2002003

I can see how dieting can be dangerous if your anorexic. But I dont see that happening to people who value their muscles. I am now around 10% bodyfat and its good enough.

But I do understand how people jump to the its bad its an obsession part. It mainly happens by people who feel guilty about themselves. For instance my mom desperately wants to lose weight, but does not want to do any activity (i mean walking a few 100 meters is too much already). Plus she did not want to change her diet. 

So when I at the end of the holiday stepped on the scales and was shocked by the loss and happy too she was not happy as her weight has gone up. Remark, but your fanatic and crazy. 

But all I did was mind my food and do 2 hours of snorkeling (or diving). Quite easy to do if your on an island with a beautiful coral reef and like the ocean. One hour before lunch and later an other hour in the afternoon. I did it with my 72 year old dad who also values exercise. Though he is quite fat but still bikes many kilometers in Holland. But he never minds his food, i don't comment as he never complains about his weight. Its his choice to stay that way and I respect that but he does not moan about weight loss like mom does but puts no effort in.

I have no problem with those who are overweight and accept it and accept its their choice. My beef is with those who are overweight complain its all to hard and don't take action but keep on moaning.

I am just a guy who believes that you can control most things in life (within limits) and that if you want its possible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Let´s just end the conversation there. In other words you just said, that if Zlatan can be a professional football player, then everybody can.

And you ignore your hunger on a holiday??? Sweet jesus!

I am saying that if i with an impaired metabolic rate because of my thyroid problems can do this then its possible for most other people to lose weight. I was always heavier then my peers (never fat as we did not have the american diet in the Netherlands at that time, i guess if i had grown up later i might have ended up fat)

Its not possible for everyone to look the same or get to the same levels. Genetics play a role but almost everyone (who is obese) can drop weight.  That is what I say mate. I don't say that everyone can look like a beach model. I am saying that almost all obese people can lose weight and get closer to healthy levels. 

Life is not fair but if you want you can lose weight if you change your priorities. (is that offensive to you ?)

Yes for me its far easier to ignore hunger on a holiday then when I am working or at home. I always have food in reach at home. (i prepare my own food). Also snorkeling keeps the mind occupied (if you like that kind of thing and i really do)

Edited by robblok
  • Sad 1

i think its a whole lot about if you can exercise any kind of 

activity as distraction, im pain ridden and cant really venture out of my condo for over

1/2 hour, its boring to hell and the only activity i can do is lay down,

drink cappuccino, smoke, eat, rinse, repeat

Edited by brokenbone

2 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i think its a whole lot about if you can exercise any kind of 

activity, im pain ridden and cant really venture out of my condo for over

1/2 hour, its boring to hell and the only activity i can do is lay down,

drink cappuccino, smoke, eat, rinse, repeat

I agree about this, when I had my shoulder injury and could not workout my diet suffered too. So yes i agree 100% with this its harder if you can't do anything. At least it is for me. I know its mainly diet but my diet works better if i do exercise then im focused.

I am so happy that after 2 months of not being able to train I can do it again. Its real frustrating so i really feel for you. 

So, if the real secret is taking your parents to the islands - how much would they charge me to take them for a week?

9 hours ago, robblok said:

even at older age you can lose your weight

If you have parents that can go to islands, then you are still young... 

but congrats on your efforts and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

So, if the real secret is taking your parents to the islands - how much would they charge me to take them for a week?

If you have parents that can go to islands, then you are still young... 

but congrats on your efforts and thanks for sharing.

I am not that old 45.  

The secret is doing the snorkeling and diet ????  They were the ones convincing me to try to eat otherwise.

But really its a matter of choices I got visitors now and they are eating burger king stuff, while i chose not too even though I enjoy i too. Just choice what I want more, stay lean or eat fast foods (and yes I do like that too)

I'm not sure about your point. Weight loss/stopping smoking/gambling/paying for ladies/beating your wife/whatever isn't hard if you commit. 

If you don't really want it then it wont happen. I know that. 

Happy for you, of course, but you haven't given us any secret key. ????

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I'm not sure about your point. Weight loss/stopping smoking/gambling/paying for ladies/beating your wife/whatever isn't hard if you commit. 

If you don't really want it then it wont happen. I know that. 

Happy for you, of course, but you haven't given us any secret key. ????

There is no secret its about committing, and going for it. Giving up some things (permanently) so you can lose your weight. Thing is people don't want to make those changes or give up things. 

I get that but then calling weight loss impossible or hard is wrong.  Its just that the priorities are not there yet. 

11 hours ago, robblok said:

They were the ones convincing me to try to eat otherwise.

my parents are gone now but years ago when I would stop by to visit, when I walked in the door, my mother would say "you're getting fat, what can I make you to eat?" And then feed me as if I hadn't eaten since the last time she saw me... and great desserts too... but the most difficult part was their 10 yr decline into dementia, which I fought with logic, reason, heartache and comfort foods... 

as you get older, your body hurts.. my back hurts daily, nothing wrong, just achy, now I have an achilles tendon problem which limits the walking... when you see old people walking funny it is because of pain. 

Enjoy your battles and your victories.... you seem to be doing fine.