fat loss not as hard if you commit

robblok

Just now, kenk24 said:

my parents are gone now but years ago when I would stop by to visit, when I walked in the door, my mother would say "you're getting fat, what can I make you to eat?" And then feed me as if I hadn't eaten since the last time she saw me... and great desserts too... but the most difficult part was their 10 yr decline into dementia, which I fought with logic, reason, heartache and comfort foods... 

as you get older, your body hurts.. my back hurts daily, nothing wrong, just achy, now I have an achilles tendon problem which limits the walking... when you see old people walking funny it is because of pain. 

Enjoy your battles and your victories.... you seem to be doing fine. 

I know what you mean about dementia, mom is going that way. Really sad to see. 

I had an shoulder injury put me out of the game for 2 months or more. Made it a lot harder. I know about a body hurting more then before. My dad still in good shape and also some funny walking at time but mainly still good. Why because he always exercised a lot. Ok that did cost him his knees (soccer and tennis). I know one thing I am now doing more corrective exercises and exercises that keep your joints healthy. 

I realized after my injuries (was injury free up until now) that prevention is something important. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I think this is very true... 

Food is so much more important than training. But training helps me keep my food under control. Just harder to think of a good diet when I cannot train.

But things for me changed once i made permanent diet changes. The only thing i struggle is that i like stuff like mango juice or soda with some syrup. Food wise i can control myself but this is a weak point. Usually this is the last thing i cut out when i want to lose fat. 

Everyone is different i know of guys who can drink tons of beer and stay lean. Its just that there are small things that make us unique but makes it harder for some (not impossible) and easier for others.

People can moan about how unfair this is (and it is in a way) but that wont solve the problem. One has to work with what he or she got.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Food is so much more important than training. But training helps me keep my food under control. Just harder to think of a good diet when I cannot train.

But things for me changed once i made permanent diet changes. The only thing i struggle is that i like stuff like mango juice or soda with some syrup. Food wise i can control myself but this is a weak point. Usually this is the last thing i cut out when i want to lose fat. 

Everyone is different i know of guys who can drink tons of beer and stay lean. Its just that there are small things that make us unique but makes it harder for some (not impossible) and easier for others.

People can moan about how unfair this is (and it is in a way) but that wont solve the problem. One has to work with what he or she got.

sweets are a battle for me - sugar is an energy boost... not a healthy one but when I am dragging and bothered by it, that is a lift... yes, I know how bad it is... the other big factor is genetics... I never was a drinker but have a beer gut from food... I eat. But my self image and satisfaction is mostly good...

sorry about your mom... if your dad is going to be the caretaker, keep an eye on him too, it is not easy stuff... 

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

sweets are a battle for me - sugar is an energy boost... not a healthy one but when I am dragging and bothered by it, that is a lift... yes, I know how bad it is... the other big factor is genetics... I never was a drinker but have a beer gut from food... I eat. But my self image and satisfaction is mostly good...

sorry about your mom... if your dad is going to be the caretaker, keep an eye on him too, it is not easy stuff... 

Chocolate is the only sweets that is a problem for me. But i just avoid buying it. I can't eat what is not there. That is my main defense making sure I dont got bad stuff in my home.

As long as your image is good and your happy, its not as if people have to lose weight or stay in shape. Its a choice my dad does 4 hours of biking and still is fat big beer belly because he drinks loads of sugary drinks like orange juice and so on, and likes to eat. I don't comment as he is happy this way. I do comment on mom as she is talking about weight loss but not doing a thing. 

Dad will be caretaker probably he already is i got a bit upset at first as i thought she was playing. Because before she often just forgot things because of laziness. She could remember but usually did not put effort in it. Now its real.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toany said:

by a study funded by whom

funded by science ! the link to high cholesterol foods and blood lipids is virtually negligible. Most high levels of cholesterol in blood are due to genetic markers. Cholesterol, particularly in men, is very important - if you doubt this, try super dosing statins and see what happens to your body, in particular your erections. 

• Like 1

You the proof that expats should matter for this country .

Your here so now your parents visited here because of you.

Perhaps they told some of their friends about their great holiday now their friends will also come to visit. Word to mouth works best. You went to islands stayed in hotels travelled etc although you didn’t spend much on food you sir are appreciated big thanks from all the locals????.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

There is no secret its about committing, and going for it. Giving up some things (permanently) so you can lose your weight. Thing is people don't want to make those changes or give up things. 

I get that but then calling weight loss impossible or hard is wrong.  Its just that the priorities are not there yet. 

will power can do it short term, but for long term you need an alternative activity

other then eating, i think that is what i can extract from experience

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

You the proof that expats should matter for this country .

Your here so now your parents visited here because of you.

Perhaps they told some of their friends about their great holiday now their friends will also come to visit. Word to mouth works best. You went to islands stayed in hotels travelled etc although you didn’t spend much on food you sir are appreciated big thanks from all the locals????.

I did spend ok on food just salads ???? Believe i paid 340 bt for a salad with advocado. One of the best salads I have ever eaten at the elephant in koh Lipe.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Move More, Eat Less not that difficult I set my target at 15 kilo off and I'm at 14.5 as of yesterday. Bought a treadmill and combined with walking I hit my 10,000 steps a day and one meal in the evening. Weekends little 'treats' to make life bearable but Mon to Fri it's veg soup every day followed by some Walnuts to snack when watching TV. Still drink red wine.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, justin case said:

come on hollander.... you are lean and train and have muscles

so off course it is easier for you than fat lazy slobs to lose weight

muscles burn extra calories even at rest, fat does not

Flat slobs have more to lose and can drop 4kgs in a week. They just cant keep it off.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, robblok said:

I dont mind, their choice not mine. But they fail to accept its a choice. They don't want change bad enough so they dont. They prefer beer and bad foods (understandable) but then don't say its impossible. Be honest and say i want to keep doing what i did before.

Same with drinkers and smokers. Quit easy. They don't really want too.

just go the pharmacy and get an 84 pack Orlistat. (you might not even need a repeat pack?) also known as Xenical.   

If you use this religiusly, you should easily lose those kilos

-but you 'will' have given up on fattu foods even quicker than reaching the end of the pack

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

just go the pharmacy and get an 84 pack Orlistat. (you might not even need a repeat pack?) also known as Xenical.   

-but you 'will' have given up on fattu foods even quicker than reaching the end of the pack

Commonly reported side effects of orlistat include: bowel urgency, frequent bowel movements, oily evacuation, oily rectal leakage, steatorrhea, and flatulence with discharge. Other side effects include: fecal incontinence.

• Like 1

I started my first ever diet a month ago, and I'm 70 years old, I set out to lose 8 kilo's based on diet alone, no exercise.

I cut out ALL snacks, ditched anything white such as potato, bread and rice. Then I bought a jar of protein powder and everyday I swap either lunch or dinner for a protein shake (almond milk, yogurt, banana or peanut butter and one scoop of protein powder.

A month later and I've lost 5 kilo's and I feel sooooo much better, it's a lot easier to manage down one or two kilo's at a time than it is ten or twenty so pretty soon I'll be going into management mode to maintain my weight loss. Once or twice a week I have a meal containing things I really like, even if they contain white food, the protein shakes make it simple to lose any weight that is gained.

Side effects of what I've done: really hungry at first but after the first 36 hours that goes away, my fasting blood sugar is lower, I'm not bloated, my pants fit, and an ultrasound last week shows I don't have fatty liver.

BTW, no booze so perhaps this is not for everyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UbonThani said:
12 minutes ago, tifino said:

-but you 'will' have given up on thefattu foods even quicker than reaching the end of the pack

Commonly reported side effects of orlistat include: bowel urgency, frequent bowel movements, oily evacuation, oily rectal leakage, steatorrhea, and flatulence with discharge. Other side effects include: fecal incontinence.

this is directly why one (who remains steadfastly self disciplined) gives up the fatty intake - totally! 

Maintain it (no fats/oils), and the symptoms disappear forthwith  

been there done that...

(especially the opened sluice gates...

which I observed with an objective frame of mind)

another less drastic alternative is 'Xantrax'

- this simply makes you drop by an initial 3 kilos, and keeps you there

Edited by tifino

I've been using a web site called, myfitnesspal.com which I think is really good. It let's you plan your meals at a detailed level and has a huge database which breaks ingredients into their core components so you can see if you are in excess or deficient in say fats or carbs or whatever you chose to track.

Something like this site is worth using when you start a diet because it helps you understand exactly what you're consuming.

21 hours ago, saengd said:

I've been using a web site called, myfitnesspal.com which I think is really good. It let's you plan your meals at a detailed level and has a huge database which breaks ingredients into their core components so you can see if you are in excess or deficient in say fats or carbs or whatever you chose to track.

Something like this site is worth using when you start a diet because it helps you understand exactly what you're consuming.

Cuttings carbs is easy. Just eat animal products for 2 days then look at the scales. I lose a kg a day when I do that.

5 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Cuttings carbs is easy. Just eat animal products for 2 days then look at the scales. I lose a kg a day when I do that.

A 1kg loss per day is not sustainable, as the previous poster said, that's just water.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

A 1kg loss per day is not sustainable, as the previous poster said, that's just water.

No but you can mix it up over 3 months or whatever. 5% one day, 0% the next 2 days, 8% the next.

Good to be flexible.

Eating the same each day is boring and not sustainable.

I ate over 2000 calories on Sunday with lots of carbs. Lost 0.1kgs.

Had 1 day in 33 where I gained weight, some of that just food or water.

15 hours ago, Kennycrossfit said:

Your just losing water weight. 

It is not all water weight.  You can get more accurate info by finding a scale that will give you the full body measurements.  I used Tanita's BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis) technology, the body composition monitors can measure #your: weight, body fat percentage, body water percentage, muscle mass, physique rating, basal metabolic rate (BMR), daily caloric intake (DCI), metabolic age, bone mass, and visceral fat.

There is one here in bangkok at the Olympic club and you can get a full measurement when you work out with a nice body composition maps.  I measured about every 4 weeks to track progress.  Low carb diets are not all water weight loss at all like so many people swear.  

On 12/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, robblok said:

I am someone with a slow thyroid, proven by tests so I already got it hard

I am also one of these guys with a slow metabolism (probably thyroid related)

So I know exactly how it feels I have always struggled to keep weight of had to do double what others had to do. Its not fair but if i can lose weight everyone can.

Its just lack of real commitment and finding other things more important. That is it there are few people who can't lose weight if they give up some things. Problem is they usually don't want to give up things or make changes.

If it was up to me id prefer to eat two pizzas at night and drink loads of sugary drinks. I don't because it would make me fat. 

Your right about the 2.5 kg, did not make me rush to the gym. I could not rush to the gym I had an shoulder injury. But its frustrating if you diet down to a level that is nice and then gain 2.5 kg. But happy to lose it all and more while being on vacation and all that I had to do is eat loads of salads and be a bit hungry and just swim / snorkel for 2 hours a day. 

I lost more on that holiday and faster then I ever have at home doing gym work. Why mainly because  of the food. At home the hunger pangs are worse and i need to satisfy them. On the holiday i could ignore them. 

A friend told me body building is 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 3:10 AM, BobBKK said:

I'm down 11 kilo. Move more (10,000 steps) eat less - it's not rocket science. FitBit helped me the most as I am fanatical about those 10,000 steps daily.

One thing I learned on the treadmill after my bypass surgery is that an hour of brisk walking eats up the calories in a small order of french fries.  That's over 6km.  Just the small fries.  Doesn't include the hamburger.  That's another 2-4 hours on the treadmill.

Bottom line, I can't exercise enough to compensate for a bad diet, no matter how many steps I get in.

The 10,000 steps are a great plan for keeping from the barstool atrophy suffered by many here in LOS.  But losing weight?  That's a diet thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1