"Grab is welcomed" - changes to law expected early next year

webfact

"Grab is welcomed" - changes to law expected early next year

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The head of Thailand's Department of Land Transport said that public consultation over ride and cab hailing application service Grab had met with a positive response. 

He trevealed that Grab is welcomed after the DLT received around 1000 comments and observations up to the end of November, reported Sanook. 

He now plans to take the findings forward to the Transport Ministry for their consideration and is preparing - subject to their approval - to make the necessary changes to accommodate Grab. 

Thaivisa notes that the law has been a grey area in Thailand regarding such applications. There have been many turf wars as the Thais grapple to come to terms with a changing landscape in the sector. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-09

I take a Grab taxi whenever I need to get to the airport or across town. No need to go hail a cab from the curb, as Grab comes pick me up and my luggage right at my gate. There is no hassle having to haggle over the fare or watching out whether the driver "forgets" to switch on the meter. I pay the metered fare plus 20 baht extra as a booking fee, that's it. No gamble whether the cab is graciously willing to take me to my destination or flat out refuses because it's "too far", "too close", "too late", "too early," "too inconvenient", "too bothersome", "too rainy", "too sunny" and what not. And lastly no constant whining by the driver how little he earns by having accepted my fare.   

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Tell that to the Win-Guys

money grabbers they deserve all they get, clear rules in Pattaya for fare charges - a 2km Motorbike taxi ride should be 30baht (25baht first km plus 5 per km) - why are they asking farang for 50-60baht and when you question them they get aggressive - it is not about money for me - it is the principle 

Have often used them successfully in Chiang Mai (taxi meter averse) and BANGKOK ( to avoid the long way round journeys). 

Interested in the effect of Grab legalisation in places like Koh Samui, Phuket and Pattaya where tourists are easy victims for the taxi scammers.

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

money grabbers they deserve all they get, clear rules in Pattaya for fare charges - a 2km Motorbike taxi ride should be 30baht (25baht first km plus 5 per km) - why are they asking farang for 50-60baht and when you question them they get aggressive - it is not about money for me - it is the principle 

You are soo right. That´s also why they fear Grab coming keeping to the rules.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

There have been many turf wars as the Thais grapple to come to terms with a changing landscape in the sector. 

Not Thais, rather the taxi and motorci mafias. Grab can't become officially legal fast enough and the taxi and mocy guys will need to adjust - they've been ripping people off for far too long.

59 minutes ago, smedly said:

I can't get a motorbike taxi in Pattaya for less than 60 baht, regardless of distance.

11 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

public consultation?!!

so they can do it if they want to

now why do expats never get consulted when our rules change ????

I am a non-Thai, non-voting visitor, here in Thailand on a long-term visa at the pleasure of the Thai Government. I am not the center of the universe and do not expect the DLT to seek my input concerning taxis, Grab or any other transportation decision. Acceptance of such trivial matters allows me to sleep soundly at night. Sweet dreams.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, Sydebolle said:

Nice, that the government finally understood, that not everything goes their way. I've been using Grab for years and now it is even legal - how good is that! 

That doesn't stop the upcoming violence of the competitors.....

Archived