BANGKOK
Jazzius

Enter visa-exempt with unused SETV in passport?

Netherlands passport holder. I have an unused single-entry tourist visa in my passport, and I'm about to travel to Thailand. I got the visa because I plan to stay 90 days (60+30), but it now seems (due to unforeseen circumstances) I might have to fly home within a week or two. I'm wondering if I can ask the immigration officer to ignore the visa and give me 30 days visa-exempt instead, leaving the visa unused. That way I can still use the visa if I fly out to Thailand again within the visa's expiration date. Anyone know if this is allowed?

Edited by Jazzius

I don't think so. If you don't enter the visa number on the TM6 (AFAIK they are still using them), the IO may not see your SETV and stamp you in visa-exempt. However, if he/she finds the SETV, I am pretty sure he/she will use it. This opinion is based on a 'rule' that an IO supervisor made me aware of at BKK about 2 years ago that if you have two passports, one with a visa and the other without a visa and the non-visa passport qualifies for visa-exempt entry, only the passport with the Thai visa can be used.

I suggest that you delay your travel a week or two if you want to guarantee having the SETV. Returning within such a short spell with another SETV may open the increasingly prevalent 'you come here too much?' can of worms.

Can you not simply get a re-entry permit on the SETV (1,000 THB & can easily do it on your 1st departure at the airport).

That will enable you to re-enter on the same SETV within 60 days from the 1st entry then extend as planned to the 90 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why in the world would you like to do that? This is why they invented re-entry permit many years ago.

Therefore an immigration officer that does the work right, should refuse such a thing.

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can you not simply get a re-entry permit on the SETV (1,000 THB & can easily do it on your 1st departure at the airport).

That will enable you to re-enter on the same SETV within 60 days from the 1st entry then extend as planned to the 90 days

I understand, and I'm considering that as an alternative. But see, I'm not sure exactly how soon I'll be able to come to Thailand again. Using a re-entry permit it could be that I'll spend most of the 60 days back home, basically wasting much or nearly all of it.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Why in the world would you like to do that? This is why they invented re-entry permit many years ago.

Therefore an immigration officer that does the work right, should refuse such a thing.

See my reply to Mike Teavee above: I'll waste much of the 60 days granted on the SETV.

3 minutes ago, Jazzius said:

See my reply to Mike Teavee above: I'll waste much of the 60 days granted on the SETV.

So why not enter on an exempt visa first and apply for the SETV after that? Bad planning?

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I suggest that you delay your travel a week or two if you want to guarantee having the SETV. Returning within such a short spell with another SETV may open the increasingly prevalent 'you come here too much?' can of worms.

I'd take this option if I could, but I'm in a third country where my visa is about to expire, so I have to leave either way. As for the can of worms, probably not a problem in my case, as I don't come to Thailand often anymore. My last exit was a good 20 months ago.

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So why not enter on an exempt visa first and apply for the SETV after that? Bad planning?

No, unexpected last-minute circumstances have come up back home, after I got the visa, a couple weeks before my flight date, I don’t think that's unusual.

Edited by Jazzius
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

However, if he/she finds the SETV, I am pretty sure he/she will use it. This opinion is based on a 'rule' that an IO supervisor made me aware of at BKK about 2 years ago that if you have two passports, one with a visa and the other without a visa and the non-visa passport qualifies for visa-exempt entry, only the passport with the Thai visa can be used.

Yeah, that sounds pretty compelling. Pretty much in line with what seems to be the overall policy: discourage visa exempt and encourage visas.

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

That will enable him to enter on the re-entry permit, not the SETV. He would write the re-entry permit number on the arrival  card (if they are still in use) not the visa number. His permission to stay granted when he entered on the now marked "used" SETV will have been preserved.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I don't think so. If you don't enter the visa number on the TM6 (AFAIK they are still using them), the IO may not see your SETV and stamp you in visa-exempt. However, if he/she finds the SETV, I am pretty sure he/she will use it. This opinion is based on a 'rule' that an IO supervisor made me aware of at BKK about 2 years ago that if you have two passports, one with a visa and the other without a visa and the non-visa passport qualifies for visa-exempt entry, only the passport with the Thai visa can be used.

"However, if he/she finds the SETV, I am pretty sure he/she will use it"

Of course immigration will find the SETV, that's their job. I don't think any officer anywhere can miss it. 

Did nobody see it is a Hollander? He is just afraid he will pay 1000THB for a re entree he maybe will not use.....Does nobody knows what 1000THB means to a Hollander?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Of course immigration will find the SETV, that's their job. I don't think any officer anywhere can miss it. 

It has happened to me once. One IO may process, what hundreds of people during a shift? Of course they can make mistakes. I only noticed outside that I got only the 30 day exeption and it was quite annoying. The immigration in CW couldn't do anything about it so I had to fly away in 30 days time and come back and then use the visa. Always check that the visa has been stamped before it is too late.

Edited by rabang

3 hours ago, rabang said:
4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It has happened to me once. One IO may process, what hundreds of people during a shift? Of course they can make mistakes. I only noticed outside that I got only the 30 day exeption and it was quite annoying. The immigration in CW couldn't do anything about it so I had to fly away in 30 days time and come back and then use the visa. Always check that the visa has been stamped before it is too late.

I was going to post that it isn't unknown and has been mentioned on this forum before but would have been unable to link to any thread for the benefit of Max so thanks.