BANGKOK
JungleBiker

Tyre pressure and front wheel alignment

Went to a tyre shop (in Ubon). 

To buy new front tyres.

I told the sales lady that I wanted the factory tyre

pressures: 28 psi all wheels. (Vigo 4WD) (Same pressure regardless of load or not). 

Lady said no, they recommend 35 psi for the first week to let the tyres "stretch". 

That sounded like BS to me but I'm not a tyre expert and did not want to argue. 

After the tyres/wheels were fitted and inflated, they put the vehicle on the wheel alignment rig. 

Later, it occurred to me that if after 1 week I deflated the tyres from 35 psi to 28 psi, the wheel alignment

would be then out of alignment..!?

I would welcome comments from people who know more about these things than I do, regarding...

- over inflating new tyres to let them stretch

- the importance (or not) of having the correct pressure when aligning the wheels. 

Thanks.

JB

A new tyre needs stretching? That, to me, is stretching the imagination. Sounds like another of the many Thai motoring myths.

And no, I wouldn't be concerned about the alignment. If it runs in a straight line with your hand off the steering wheel, everything is just dandy.

Edited by Moonlover

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A new tyre needs stretching? That, to me, is stretching the imagination. Sounds like another of the many Thai motoring myths.

And no, I wouldn't be concerned about the alignment. If it runs in a straight line with your hand off the steering wheel, everything is just dandy.

not sure that i agree with the bit about if it runs in a straight line ......., but a small decrease in pressure will not effect it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

not sure that i agree with the bit about if it runs in a straight line ......., but a small decrease in pressure will not effect it

Well you may not think so but, the first indication of a steering misalignment is when the vehicle doesn't run in a straight line.

Most shops will do an alignment check for you when you buy four new tires.

You would not notice a change in alignment if the pressure was dropped a few psi.

Your tire shop should be able to tell if you have an alignment problem just by looking at the tires. If your steering wheel is not straight when your car is going straight then that is a sign the alignment may be out. As mentioned previously, the car pulling to one side is another lndication of misalignment.

I will ignore the bit about stretching the tires........ But I believe I recall when tires were made of solid rubber many pumped them up harder for the first couple of weeks.......

Edited by JAS21

Wouldn't the tyre "stretch" when they belt it to 50 PSI to seat the beads ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well you may not think so but, the first indication of a steering misalignment is when the vehicle doesn't run in a straight line.

if they were over toe in then the car would still run straight, a good indication is if the white lines in the center of the road 'pull' you about

Tyre pressure can affect alignment if the tyres are not evenly inflated.

Set the tyre pressures according to the book. Get the alignment checked (and this is the hard part, ... by someone who knows how to use the freaking alignment machine!).

B-Quik do have the proper laser alignment machine and some of their guys actually know how to use it!

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

As mentioned previously, the car pulling to one side is another lndication of misalignment.

Not necessary road camber is present in many different surfaces.

9 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

over inflating new tyres to let them stretch

Only done as mentioned already to seat the tyre firmly on the rim.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Drop the pressures (cold) to what the door jamb sticker says...

You should know TA but I thought it was recommended 31psi all round? on a 4x4 Vigo. Long time since I had mine so I could be incorrect. But as you say it's on the door jamb.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Drop the pressures (cold) to what the door jamb sticker says...

And don't forget to use Nitrogen to ensure the tyre pressures are consistent through varying temperature ranges !!!! :coffee1:

Yes... I know I know, that old chestnut... couldn't resist !

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You should know TA but I thought it was recommended 31psi all round? on a 4x4 Vigo. Long time since I had mine so I could be incorrect. But as you say it's on the door jamb.

29psi on the Vigo with 265 tyres, higher on a Vigo with factory skinny tyres...

• Like 1