Immigration e-services app can track locations

9 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

So not much different to many other apps people use. Try reading the permissions you give apps from time to time. You grant permission for an app to read contacts,change or delete contacts, sends SMS and MMS, make phone calls.....the list goes on and on.

Of course, but they are not Thai immigration apps are they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that that is Immigration's long term plan. To have one app that you click on arrival and share location to say you are back in Thailand (replacing TM6 Arrival Card), then click again to share location for your change of location when you leave home (replacing TM30) and ultimately share location for 90 day reporting.

57 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

All this presumes that you have an Android smartphone.

No it doesn't. IMM eservices is in the app store. Or do u mean no phone at all?

Edited by Card

On 12/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, Vacuum said:

You could use two phones. One for Immigration purposes, which always stays at your home, the other one for 'normal' usage.

So now I got 2 phones, 2 bank accounts, 2 emails, a laminated ID and keep my money in 3 different pockets and an empty wallet in my back one..... life sure is complicated. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Burl Ives said:

I believe that that is Immigration's long term plan. To have one app that you click on arrival and share location to say you are back in Thailand (replacing TM6 Arrival Card), then click again to share location for your change of location when you leave home (replacing TM30) and ultimately share location for 90 day reporting.

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChristianBlessing said:

You can always disable location tracking for individual or all apps. You may get continuing nags to enable it, but the app should work just fine.

App works fine with location disabled. No issues.

Settings, Apps & notifications, Advanced, App permissions, Location, enable/disable by app.

Screenshot_20191211-083848.png

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

App works fine with location disabled. No issues.

Settings, Apps & notifications, Advanced, App permissions, Location, enable/disable by app.

Screenshot_20191211-083848.png

The app asks for location to set your address coordinates. All I am saying in my OP post is that it could track your subsequent locations if you do not cancel its permission to track location after making an application. I am not saying immigration is smart or devious enough to use it that way but just highlighting that privacy issue.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Card said:

The app asks for location to set your address coordinates. All I am saying in my OP post is that it could track your subsequent locations if you do not cancel its permission to track location after making an application.

It seems that the app relies on your last entry in Thailand, never mind when it was, and not on the latest information provided to your local immigration office.

Therefore, if, like me, you have renewed your passport while in Thailand, the app rejects all your reports because it only knows your old passport number...

23 hours ago, Burl Ives said:

1984 at power 10.

29 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Use a vpn with an auto gps mover in it example surfshark gives you the option to connect to say Singapore and at the same time your GPS says your in Singapore as well.

TBh everyone should be using a VPN nowadays anyway

Can u provide evidence that a vpn also relocates your gps location? I just tried tunnel (whole device, not just browser) connection with premium Psiphon Pro vpn for UK location then took a pic and the stamped gps coordinates on the pic details showed the correct location in Thailand, which tends to disprove your assertion.

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

Use a vpn with an auto gps mover in it example surfshark gives you the option to connect to say Singapore and at the same time your GPS says your in Singapore as well.

TBh everyone should be using a VPN nowadays anyway

Sorry, yes I checked. You are right.