Mosquitoes

scubascuba3

Recently a new breed of mosquito has started appearing in my Pattaya apartment. The dengue ones are quite disciplined in that they are usually only dawn and dusk, this new larger brown variety seem to bite night time when you are asleep, mosquito frame across the window doesn't appear to stop them.

Also no sign of them the next day, I've hunted around 2 days after now and can't find them anywhere, so maybe they are smarter and better than the dengue ones at hiding.

Anyone have experience of these bigger brown ones? not as serious as dengue ones but still annoying, 4 bites last night

Don,t know where you are based in Pattaya but here off 3rd road I,ve never experienced what your referring to....I use an oil based plug in repellent and never in the 5 years living here me or my GF have ever been bitten in the room........:thumbsup:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, petermik said:

Don,t know where you are based in Pattaya but here off 3rd road I,ve never experienced what your referring to....I use an oil based plug in repellent and never in the 5 years living here me or my GF have ever been bitten in the room........:thumbsup:

I'm off 3rd road also, my barber she also recommended the oil based plug, maybe I'll buy later today.

What make is yours? she mentioned from Big C Extra

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

seem to bite night time when you are asleep, mosquito frame across the window doesn't appear to stop them.

Also no sign of them the next day

Are you sure you are talking about mosquitoes?

Bedbugs maybe?  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, VocalNeal said:

There are two main Thai brands. Caution the refills are not interchangeable between brands.

Oh but they are.....

And non-brand refills are available on Lazada are much cheaper and equally as efficient....:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

Oh but they are.....

And non-brand refills are available on Lazada are much cheaper and equally as efficient....:thumbsup:

Can be screwed in cross threaded maybe but not a perfectly designed fit. At least not the two in 7-Eleven. Baygon and A-something.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:24 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm off 3rd road also, my barber she also recommended the oil based plug, maybe I'll buy later today.

See above....they fit the Thai brand units also.....cannot understand how you can be living here and never bothered to protect yourself before :whistling:

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Can be screwed in cross threaded maybe but not a perfectly designed fit. At least not the two in 7-Eleven. Baygon and A-something.

Nope they fit fine...the Baygon one,s tube is slightly longer but it does not stop it working....threads are the same ARS is the other brand your thinking of and their refills work out cheaper but as I,ve posted the Lazada link these are the cheapest and work fine....been using them a couple of years now nightly :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I,ve got malaria,caught it in africa,I take it your gaff isn,t a/c,this normally keeps ,em  out,failing that tried mosquito coils?they can hustle a bit but tend to keep ,em out.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

See above....they fit the Thai brand units also.....cannot understand how you can be living here and never bothered to protect yourself before :whistling:

Only very recently had a problem, why buy one if you don't need to?

Bought the ARS one and used last night and no sign of mosquitoes but also the window was closed, I'll need to try it with the window open with mosquito net

Edited by scubascuba3

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Only very recently had a problem, why buy one if you don't need to?

The cost....1 baht/night?...is insignificant compared to catching Dengue fever...that,s why you need one here especially in Pattaya....but if you had one in the first place you would not have been bitten and you would not have needed to post the question..........:whistling:

Edited by petermik

On 12/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah it's AC but i only use in spurts during the night if it gets too hot. The problem started when i started opening a window at night

Solution ???? close the window, put AC on higher setting then you wont have to breathe in the noxious fumes from oils or coils & polluted air? ????

On 12/10/2019 at 11:59 AM, petermik said:

The cost....1 baht/night?...is insignificant compared to catching Dengue fever...that,s why you need one here especially in Pattaya....but if you had one in the first place you would not have been bitten and you would not have needed to post the question..........:whistling:

so you think people should buy a repellent plug even though nothing to repel? ok, thai logic, you've been here too long. As for dengue most of us know its dawn and dusk so not an issue during the night

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Solution ???? close the window, put AC on higher setting then you wont have to breathe in the noxious fumes from oils or coils & polluted air? ????

Yes close the window, but i was surprised the new mosquito frames don't seem to stop the Culex mosquito, maybe smart enough to get through the holes

On 12/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, petermik said:

Understanding other humans can be a daunting process and always a work in progress. Persevere. ????

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:59 AM, petermik said:

I have never been bothered by mosquitos. I probably do get stung but i dont develop the itching. Whomever i sleep with always gets stung.. so they are around. They either dont sting me or i just don't get the allergic reaction. In my 13 year never caught anything. But sure it pays to be safe.