BANGKOK
lelapin

UK Pension for Thai wife

Just reading above .............if she has British Citizenship, is she entitled to the state pension if I die ?? even if living in Thailand

regards 

36 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Our marriage was registered in the UK over 12 years ago and my wife will get some State pension and 1/3 of my military pension. She also has a NI number but Pensions Office won't tell me what it is and she has to ask for it . Something to do with Private and confidential info !!

you could transfer 10% of her tax coding onto your tax account, saving if paying tax £250 a year, can be backdated to 2015

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oporhatch said:

Just reading above .............if she has British Citizenship, is she entitled to the state pension if I die ?? even if living in Thailand

regards 

she would have to have paid at least 10 years of NI contributions to get a pension in her own right

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

you could transfer 10% of her tax coding onto your tax account, saving if paying tax £250 a year, can be backdated to 2015

Very difficult to understand Humpy's post as very short on detail, steve187.  That the marriage was registered in the UK doesn't mean a lot.  He also states that she has an NI number but doesn't know what it is.  Humpy's further clarification would be most appreciated.  

My Thai wife is a British citizen, our marriage not registered as no point and one can no longer register a foreign marriage but we didn't bother when we could and we most definitely know what my wife's NI number is.  

2 hours ago, Humpy said:

She also has a NI number but Pensions Office won't tell me what it is and she has to ask for it .

This is also confusing without further clarification.  One has to apply for an NI number in the first instance.  It's obviously not automatic.  This was one of the first steps we took on my wife entering the UK on her settlement visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

With regards the UK state pension

It will have to be determined if the widow will qualify under the 2014 Pensions Act section 7 and Scheduele 3 .

See these explanatory notes 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/19/notes/division/6/1

from schedule 3 - 

A pensioner whose spouse or civil partner has died is entitled to an inherited amount under this paragraph if—

(a)the marriage took place or the civil partnership was formed before 6 April 2016,

so not applicable to the op

14 minutes ago, steve187 said:

from schedule 3 - 

A pensioner whose spouse or civil partner has died is entitled to an inherited amount under this paragraph if—

(a)the marriage took place or the civil partnership was formed before 6 April 2016,

Interesting as will be relevant to many.  A 'pensioner' whose spouse or civil partner has died is entitled to an inherited amount ... if formed before 6 April 2016.  

So if the spouse isn't of pensionable age then not entitled to an inherited amount is how I understand it.  My wife and I married formed our marriage prior to the aforementioned date.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

from schedule 3 - 

The OP did not disclose how old his wife is.

If his wife reached pension age before 2016 , the old rules would apply not the 2014 pension act.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The OP did not disclose how old his wife is.

If his wife reached pension age before 2016 , the old rules would apply not the 2014 pension act.

my reply was linked to a post about the 2014 act.