Sending money to the USA with PayPal - Possible?

I have PayPal set up with my K-Bank account. I went to send some money to someone in the USA but it kept asking me to input a payment method, even though I have already confirmed my bank account with PayPal. Does PayPal not allow you to send money from Thailand to the USA?

Normally it should not be a problem to send to another Paypal user/account, unrelated to what country the account has been opened in.

However, if you are trying to send money by registering another persons bank account, that will not be possible. Neither will it be possible to add a foreign bank acc to a Thai Paypal account.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Normally it should not be a problem to send to another Paypal user/account, unrelated to what country the account has been opened in.

However, if you are trying to send money by registering another persons bank account, that will not be possible.

It was from PayPal account to PayPal account. Weird, so maybe they were just having a temporary problem...

28 minutes ago, jakow said:

It was from PayPal account to PayPal account. Weird, so maybe they were just having a temporary problem...

Sounds wierd. It have been working before. Either it´s a problem like you say or it´s a new rule. I guess you do best calling support and ask.

1 hour ago, jakow said:

I have PayPal set up with my K-Bank account. I went to send some money to someone in the USA but it kept asking me to input a payment method, even though I have already confirmed my bank account with PayPal. Does PayPal not allow you to send money from Thailand to the USA?

You can't debit directly from your bank account, as you can in (for example) the US.

If you add your K-Web Shopping Card (assuming you have one) or your Visa debit card (again, assuming you have one, and assuming it is set up for online shopping), you should be able to fund the transfer that way.

18 hours ago, jakow said:

Does PayPal not allow you to send money from Thailand to the USA?

X-mas contributions to the good causes of SamAsh and Musician's Friend are going through without any problems.

18 hours ago, jakow said:

I do this regularly. Pay Pal Account to Pay Pal account in another country. Instantaneous transfer at very competitive rate. Check you are doing everything correctly.

Ask him to send you an Invoice or a Money Request from his account, then just pay it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

<><><><><><>
Be sure to check the "family / friend" option .... to cut the fee.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:01 PM, jakow said:

That's definitely not the issue.

Hmm, ok perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could be. You must have sufficient balance in your Thai PayPal account, or it will ask you for payment method. And linking a Thai bank account with sufficient balance does nothing to increase your Thai PayPal account balance. Your Thai PayPal account balance could be 0.0 and linked to a bank account with 1M baht, and it will still ask for payment method. The only way to increase your Thai PayPal balance is for someone to send you money, and you didn't mention that anyone had.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:26 PM, NotYourBusiness said:

Hmm, ok perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could be. You must have sufficient balance in your Thai PayPal account, or it will ask you for payment method. And linking a Thai bank account with sufficient balance does nothing to increase your Thai PayPal account balance. Your Thai PayPal account balance could be 0.0 and linked to a bank account with 1M baht, and it will still ask for payment method. The only way to increase your Thai PayPal balance is for someone to send you money, and you didn't mention that anyone had.

Edit: Removing my reply because I misunderstood the original post. I thought he meant a balance is required for all PayPal accounts, not just Thailand.

7 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Sending money by PayPal to or from India can also be iffy due to local currency regulations. It's all this money-laundering nonsense from the USA.

Yep, I think the people here saying it's definitely possible haven't tried sending from a Thai PayPal account to a USA PayPal account. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think you can do it. I'm going to call PayPal tomorrow and hopefully get a definite answer.

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

My Thai PayPal is linked to my Thai bank account and my non-Thai Amex credit card. I can only successfully choose the credit card as the source of funds, so that rather defeats the object of sending money from Thailand

That's exactly the issue I'm having. I have a Thai bank account linked and confirmed, but it won't let me use it. It keeps asking me to add a credit card.

19 minutes ago, jakow said:

Sorry, but that's just not true. PayPal even says it when you go to your Wallet:

I've used my USA PayPal account to send payments for probably 18 years now and I've never had a balance in my account, only a linked bank account.

Yes, it is true for Thailand. Paypal balance or linked card required to transfer.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it is true for Thailand. Paypal balance or linked card required to transfer.

Thanks, I thought he was saying for all PayPal accounts. That would explain the problems I'm having if that's the rule for Thailand.

1 minute ago, jakow said:

Thanks, I thought he was saying for all PayPal accounts. That would explain the problems I'm having if that's the rule for Thailand.

Thailand has exchange controls in place - quite low amounts of THB cash can be exported, for example. It's one of the reasons the banks have a near monopoly on sending money out of the country; probably why Dee Money as a non-bank entity has so many constraints about where it can send money

Archived