Morocco praises Thai health system as a role model

webfact

Morocco praises Thai health system as a role model

By The Nation

800_cdf860d6685c943.jpg?v=1575878631

Dr Abdeliah Boutaleb (Left) and Dr Sakchai Kanjanawatana (Right)

Morocco’s secretary-general of the Health Ministry paid a visit to Thailand to study how the kingdom manages its universal health coverage (UHC).

Dr Abdeliah Boutaleb led executives from the country’s Health Ministry and representatives from the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Morocco to study the implementation and management of the UHC in Thailand.

He believes Thailand’s UHC is a robust role model for Morocco, which is in the process of expanding its own coverage to include 93 per cent of its citizens by 2030.

“Now, public insurance, the National Fund for Social Security, and the National Fund for Social Welfare cover 63 per cent of Morocco’s population. We are looking forward to increasing this coverage as much as possible by 2030. To achieve that goal, Morocco is seeking strong knowledge and looking forward to having a close relationship with the NHSO,” Boutaleb said.

Morocco-5.jpg

He also said the Moroccan team is attracted to the principles of Thailand’s UHC, the development of a benefits package, financial management, collaboration between the government and private healthcare facilities, and also NHSO governance, which Morocco aims to apply in the current situation.

In 2002, Thailand introduced the UHC scheme, which now delivers health access to more than 49 million Thais regardless of their economic status.

“The key highlight of this visit includes a memorandum of understanding on collaborating with Thailand, which will mark a significant milestone between the two countries,” he said.

Dr_Abdelilah%20Boutaleb.jpg

The major problem with the Moroccan public health system is human resources management. Morocco still lacks sufficient health personnel. It has a ratio of 0.5 doctors per 1,000 population and one hospital bed per 1,000 population. Physicians and health personnel have demanded reasonable compensation and a reduction in workload.

Moroccan King Mohammed VI stated last April that the country’s primary healthcare system needed reform to achieve its goals by 2030.

“Primary healthcare will be a huge challenge as the country currently lacks healthcare centres. Public health personnel lack the incentive to work in remote areas, and the private sector is not interested in managing primary health systems sufficiently,” Boutaleb added.

In a step to tackle these challenges, WHO, the United Nations and the Moroccan government will hold an international conference on primary health system development and universal health coverage on December 18 and 19, inviting representatives from Thailand to share their experiences and knowledge both in terms of fund management, financial management and cooperation with the private sector, which will be a cornerstone of the Moroccan health system.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379234

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-09

The health care system in Thailand is the same as most things in Thailand; it's designed so that poor people in Thailand will be grateful to have it. Which is fine so long as there aren't any muppets claiming its wonderful - for everyone else.

It's a lot better than what was in place before Thaksin but let's be honest. Someone in Morocco thinks it's good... really?

Terrific. A real feather in Thailand's cap that is...

Did not know that Morocco's standards are that low. Thaksin introduced a populistic system which is better than nothing - agreed, but there could be much better systems with higher efficiency by offloading 90% of the bureaucracy in those government hospitals.

My favourite anecdote based on a hospital stay in the public system in New Zealand (for an accident) was the medical staff telling various patients who'd been admitted for smoking-related illnesses that as they had not acted on or made a decision to stop smoking they could clear off; the hospital wasn't interested in them any more

I was unfortunate enough, to have daily visits to the hospital over the last 2 weeks.

Though I was very happy with the diagnosis, treatment and care I received, here are some things, that I found irritating:

1) every time I went to check myself in for wound- dressing, the process was different. One day, the passport- photo that I have on my mobile was enough and the registration just took a picture of it with their phone! Next day, that wasn't enough: I had to send an eMail with the photo to registration. Next day, they additionally took a picture of me with their desk- cam! One day I got a wristband, the next day I got none...

You really get the feeling, these registrations will just be done in whatever way the registration- officer feels on that day! 

2) every day I came to the emergency- room, someone took my blood- pressure (okay, makes sense), my weight (14 days in a row...every day...) and - wait for it- measured, how tall I was! 

3) I am a "regular" at this specific hospital, go there (rarely) for treatment of "emergencies",  but regularly for my diabhetis - check up.

Although, the doctor who treated me this time, asked me if I have any permanent health- problems...seems, there is no sufficient filing- system with any kind of patient record!

...which makes me question the whole registration- song & dance and all the checking, day in and out, if something potentially threatening like diabethis is obviously in no record.

Again: medical assistance is good...but the whole administrative sutff, seems to make little sense!

The major problem with the Moroccan public health system is human resources management. Morocco still lacks sufficient health personnel. It has a ratio of 0.5 doctors per 1,000 population and one hospital bed per 1,000 population.

Then they already have more doctors per patient than Thailand does. 

It's better not to get seriously sick in LOS after 4 pm and on weekends.

There's no emergency operation that would save somebody's life where I live. 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

The major problem with the Moroccan public health system is human resources management. Morocco still lacks sufficient health personnel. It has a ratio of 0.5 doctors per 1,000 population and one hospital bed per 1,000 population.

Then they already have more doctors per patient than Thailand does. 

It's better not to get seriously sick in LOS after 4 pm and on weekends.

There's no emergency operation that would save somebody's life where I live. 

yes there are

ie;  chest tube is lifesaving for trauma

as is pericardiocentesis post trauma

intubation and respirator placement 

and lots of non surgical lifesaving stuff

2 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Making this a racist issue!

Well done!

????

What on earth is racist or false about in the post you've quoted. When the racist card is played for no good reason you actually encourage real genuine racism.

And Moroccans are citizens of Morocco which is a nation not a race.

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

What on earth is racist or false about in the post you've quoted. When the racist card is played for no good reason you actually encourage real genuine racism.

It really is a sad state of affairs when someone uses a news article like this to play the race card and I can see I'm not the only one who shares this view..

I can see Khunken agrees with us. Thank you Ken.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, sirocco said:

Why Moroccans would like good doctors, good hospitals.
It is not in their interest, they come to France for treatment free and, moreover, they stay there.

Citation!

Needed!

On 12/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, sirocco said:

post 10, I would say from 6 years would be fairer.

POST 13, this is not racism, but of reality.
Either you're blind or you do not know recognize an Arab.

I recognize "an Arab" - obviously you don't, because people from Morocco are North - African and not Arabs!

On 12/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, yogi100 said:

Oh, right! Because every Moroccan who comes here for healthcare or as a tourist will just naturally become violent and burn down stuff ! 

Nothing wrong with that absolutely fact based opinion!

23 hours ago, yogi100 said:

It really is a sad state of affairs when someone uses a news article like this to play the race card and I can see I'm not the only one who shares this view..

I can see Khunken agrees with us. Thank you Ken.

...and even if the Chinese Emperor would agree with you: I don't care and you are wrong! 

10 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:
On 12/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Thian said:

Since when is moroccan a race?

You know exactly what I am talking about and you really should crawl back under the rock, you crawled out from under!

Please answer the question, do you even know the difference between a race and a nationality??? 

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

Citation!

Needed!

I recognize "an Arab" - obviously you don't, because people from Morocco are North - African and not Arabs!

Oh, right! Because every Moroccan who comes here for healthcare or as a tourist will just naturally become violent and burn down stuff ! 

Nothing wrong with that absolutely fact based opinion!

...and even if the Chinese Emperor would agree with you: I don't care and you are wrong! 

"Oh, right! Because every Moroccan who comes here for healthcare or as a tourist will just naturally become violent and burn down stuff !"

Is that not being rather prejudiced towards the people of Morocco?

OK they may not have quite the best reputation when it comes to civilised behaviour but I'm sure they're not as bad as you paint them.

The Thais would not tolerate such antics anyway.

And you probably would not agree with me if I told you there is no Chinese Emperor. However I can assure you that you'd be wrong.

From Wikipedia....................

"There is no current emperor of China. The last emperor of China was Puyi of the Qing Dynasty who abdicated the throne in 1912."

Archived