Car wrongly parked in handicapped space at shopping mall damaged by protester

webfact

Car wrongly parked in handicapped space at shopping mall damaged by protester

12.png

A video clip of a damaged car, posted on the Facebook page of a man who has admitted that he had deliberately smashed the vehicle’s windscreen because it was parked in the zone reserved for disabled people, has triggered widespread debate online over whether his actions were justified.

The perpetrator, who identified himself as Mr. Peerapong Amornpich, said he was fed up with able bodied drivers constantly parking in spaces reserved for disabled people adding, however, that he is willing to pay for repairs to the damage caused.

A complaint has been filed with the Muang district police and the management of the shopping mall in Chiang Rai.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/car-wrongly-parked-in-handicapped-space-at-shopping-mall-damaged-by-protester/

thaipbs.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(from the linked article:)

"Commenting on the incident Mr. Manin Inpim, a campaigner for the rights of disabled people, said that he disagreed with any form of violence, but asked all shopping malls and department stores to ensure that their parking regulations are strictly enforced."

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but there will inevitably be the usual, "Do you know who I am?" c.rap from the ones who think they're entitled to park anywhere, by intimidating the security staff.

Agreed... I sometimes feel like doing this when I see others park in Disabled places. 

What stops me is the possibility that the person has a disability I an unable to see (i.e. heard defect etc). 

Ultimately the security guards do nothing, in some cases they even 'move cones away' to permit parking for the fancy cars. 

The mentality is shifting, but the selfishness, me-ness and even Thainess (as described by some) shines through in the majority of cases - its an embarrassment for the nation on a whole. 

Thailand, this along with many issues are embarrassing you - its time to grow up, its time for the 'cultural shift' it's time to become a better Thailand, one we can continue to love while at the same time be less critical of. 

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well done Peerapong, more people like you needed.

A very large percentage of drivers dont give a rats a++e about disabled parking places, just think i can park there no problem.

people will break the law when it is not enforced

exactly the same reason for the carnage on the roads

When the to the lifts up to the Sky trains are locked the appalling attitude and lack of consideration for disable people is plain to see. 

When attempting something as simple a stroll with a push-chair down 'any' pavement (sidewalk) in Bangkok (and any town or city in Thailand) the offensively atrocious carelessness towards disable people is brutally apparent. 

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I get annoyed to Thais parking is disabled places.  I loathe every bit of their selfish, arrogant ignorance.

Me too and I am not even disabled. It's the principals with which we have been raised that makes us mad towards such behaviour. ????

46 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but there will inevitably be the usual, "Do you know who I am?" c.rap from the ones who think they're entitled to park anywhere, by intimidating the security staff.

Do you know who i am? Yes the somchai from that ugly pickup truck, you stand on the market or work in construction?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

has triggered widespread debate online over whether his actions were justified.

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to human intelligence? A widespread debate???

Morons! Of course his actions were not justified, if we do not want a vigilante mob deciding what is the best way to follow the law.

He should have taken the subject up with security, and they should have dealt with it. However, that means they actually have to do their work too, which is not the fact today.

A true Thai hero. Someone has to make a statement. We cannot count on the local police franchisees to stick up for handicapped people. The administration cares not one iota. So, who then?

Think of what would happen if all cars that parked in handicapped spaces were vandalized? Society would change overnight. A forced change, but a positive change nonetheless. Some skulls are thicker than others. Some require a bit of trauma, for the message to really penetrate. 

56 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

He should've deflated two tires instead...

And then it's stuck in the disabled parking bay for even longer.

Better to jam a spud well up the exhaust pipe and let them get out of the parking bay before stalling somewhere else.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And then it's stuck in the disabled parking bay for even longer.

Better to jam a spud well up the exhaust pipe and let them get out of the parking bay before stalling somewhere else.

Sounds like a good idea. I searched youtube for a clip. All those I saw blew the potato out of the exhaust, but didn't stall the engine.

Perhaps this might be more entertaining:

How did the protester know this was not used by a handicapped person?

I.e. it would be possible that a non handicapped person drove that car to that spot to pick up a handicapped person.

I agree these parking spots should only be used for the people who need them. And misuse should be punished. But no protester has the right to do that punishment. The protester could make a video and send it to the police or maybe publish it somewhere. He has no right to touch that car!

20 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

It is not only Thailand. 

True. Difference is in other counties penalties are so severe that it hurts your backside having to pay the fine .

back in Oz , 20 years ago from memory fine was around $300, persons weekly salary 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done Peerapong, more people like you needed.

A very large percentage of drivers dont give a rats a++e about disabled parking places, just think i can park there no problem.

I don't ever recall seeing a wheelchair or stick user getting out of offending cars.

Is there a blue badge equivalent here & if so how does it work?

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I don't ever recall seeing a wheelchair or stick user getting out of offending cars.

Is there a blue badge equivalent here & if so how does it work?

I've never seen one either, but there again I've never looked. If there was such a beast, I'm sure someone in Khaosan Road would be selling them.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:
3 hours ago, webfact said:

has triggered widespread debate online over whether his actions were justified.

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to human intelligence? A widespread debate???

Morons! Of course his actions were not justified, if we do not want a vigilante mob deciding what is the best way to follow the law.

He should have taken the subject up with security, and they should have dealt with it. However, that means they actually have to do their work too, which is not the fact today.

I agree and also disagree at the same time !!..   We do not want a Vigilante Mob deciding what is the best way to follow the law, agreed. But this is not what happened, it was one person, sick and tired of the law not being followed. 

The response [to damage the car] was morally justifiable, he was perhaps forced become someone he didn't want to be and to do something he didn't want to do in protest - a strong decision on his part. 

It is excellent that this has gained media attention as the 'naming and shaming' in social media with 'photographs' of exotic cars in spots reserved for disabled drivers (and their passengers) was clearly not working sufficiently. 

As far as taking up the subject with security?... No, these guys [security] just don't care. They are picked off the street and employed, they are not trained, there are no standards, they are not security guards or parking attendants they are simply random guys in a uniform, with a minimum wage who don't give a Shoot. 

In the past I've stopped and asked Parking attendants / security guards where I can park, their response was to move a cone away from a disabled spot !! - No !!!... they look at me as though I'm an idiot for not taking this free opportunity for a quick and easy parking space.

And... Don't tell me all the disabled people drive Porsches, Mercedes, BMW's etc.... no Disabled people driving normal cars??? 

And... Why does there need to be a 'cone' blocking the disabled spaces in the first place????  Is the distinction between being disabled or not being vocal enough to ask a security guard to move a cone? - A civilized and mature society would never need a cone to 'protect' the space for those with disabilities and need to park closer to an entrance. 

Archived