Car wrongly parked in handicapped space at shopping mall damaged by protester

webfact

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've never seen one either, but there again I've never looked. If there was such a beast, I'm sure someone in Khaosan Road would be selling them.

Some people have injuries which aren't obvious, leading the budding Dr/security guards to do the ol' 'you ain't disabled!' followed by the 'whistle-and-semaphore' routine ????

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I don't ever recall seeing a wheelchair or stick user getting out of offending cars.

Is there a blue badge equivalent here & if so how does it work?

There is a scheme apparently, the disabled badge  for vehicles can be got at the DLT offices.

7 hours ago, BestB said:
7 hours ago, ripstanley said:

It is not only Thailand. 

True. Difference is in other counties penalties are so severe that it hurts your backside having to pay the fine .

back in Oz , 20 years ago from memory fine was around $300, persons weekly salary 

The point being that the entitlement mentality isn't unique to Thailand.   Enforcement is the only reason there are ever handicapped spots available around the world.

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done Peerapong, more people like you needed.

A very large percentage of drivers dont give a rats a++e about disabled parking places, just think i can park there no problem.

I agree 100%. I do act, but I don't publicise it, or say where, or how, for obvious reasons. Needless to say that if there is no CCTV present, and only if I have seen that the driver is able-bodied (and especially if it's an expensive car). I only do this as nobody else will act as the poor old security guards are afraid of these people and won't (can't) enforce the rules.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

it was one person, sick and tired of the law not being followed.

We can agree and not agree, that is our free choice. ???? 

However, all the answers is in your first paragraph. One person sick and tired of the law not beeing followed, and his best way to address that was by breaking the law himself. Great!

Indeed, seen this many times, but I suggest a reason and a perhaps how it might be solved. Where are the most disabled parking spaces situated? Close the entrance of the shop? Of course they should be so that disabled drivers have a minimal distance to negotiate and that, I think is why able Thai drivers park there, to get as close as possible to the entrance. So perhaps shift the disabled parking spaces further away from the entrance? Well not really because that would defeat part of the object for serving disabled drivers. Perhaps a better idea would be for disabled drivers to on ticket, that is to apply for ticket from the/a service counter. But then that would require at very least a 'guard', either human or mechanical, to recognise the ticket and I can't see that happening. On the question of law, would I be correct in saying that parking areas on private/shopping are not covered by law?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

has admitted that he had deliberately smashed the vehicle’s windscreen because it was parked in the zone reserved for disabled people,

But did he verify that the person owning the vehicle didn't drive a disable person to the shopping centre.
Or did he just presume that as no identification was on the vehicle he could go ahead and damage the car?

22 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Indeed, seen this many times, but I suggest a reason and a perhaps how it might be solved. Where are the most disabled parking spaces situated? Close the entrance of the shop? Of course they should be so that disabled drivers have a minimal distance to negotiate and that, I think is why able Thai drivers park there, to get as close as possible to the entrance. So perhaps shift the disabled parking spaces further away from the entrance? Well not really because that would defeat part of the object for serving disabled drivers. Perhaps a better idea would be for disabled drivers to on ticket, that is to apply for ticket from the/a service counter. But then that would require at very least a 'guard', either human or mechanical, to recognise the ticket and I can't see that happening. On the question of law, would I be correct in saying that parking areas on private/shopping are not covered by law?

I think a better solution would be for security guards to be equipped with locking tire boots that make it impossible to move the vehicle or even to remove the locked wheel and replace it with a spare. But of course this would require building owners to buy these devices and that would be a huge nonstarter. It would also necessitate training security guards in the employment of said devices. Likewise, totally unlikely to happen.  There is no solution really except to publicize the perpetrators acts in the media. Even a toll-free nationwide phone number (or via the hallowed Line app?) where witnesses could send photos could become a deterrence.  

I can say that every time I visit our local Rimping Supermarket here in Chiang Mai, there is always a car without a disabled placard parked in the lone, well-marked, reserved spot for disabled customers. And invariably the violator turns out to be a Thai matron in her 50s who feels her sense of entitlement allows her to override any common decency she might have.  More often than not, she is not driving a fancy make either.  At any rate, it is maddening to see this continually happening all over this “Me first” nation. 

I agree, handicap parking should be limited to those who are handicapped.  I am 79 and cannot walk more than a few meters without pain causing me to stop and rest for a minute.  Yes, when possible I do use a handicap parking spot.  I was told at the Bangkok Rayong hospital that ANYONE over a certain age, I believe it was 60 was entitled to use any handicap parking space.  What I do not know is if this applies at any other location.  And, where would one obtain a window sticker, tag or placard to display to indicate they were handicapped and authorized to use handicap parking?  Some other countries have some way to indicate a vehicle can be parked in a handicap space.  Of course the problem arises when another person, not handicapped, uses the vehicle and parks in a handicap space.

In the Netherlands parking a car on a handicapped spot will cost you € 380,-. If there also is a parking meter € 95,- will be added to that. Than you will have an administration fee for each violation of € 9,- each.

So in the worst way your banking account will be credited by € 493,-. That is about 16,000 - 17,000 ฿ with those ridiculously low exchange rates now.

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

He should have taken the subject up with security, and they should have dealt with it. However, that means they actually have to do their work too, which is not the fact today.

I read this story on Sunday.  The incident happened on Saturday.  He did take it up with the store who put a message on their speaker system.  The guy went to eat with his family then came back and the vehicle was still there.  He smashed the window then waited for the owner to return and explained his action and offered to pay for the damage.

The owner apologised claiming he never saw the sign and never heard the broadcasted message.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How did the protester know this was not used by a handicapped person?

I.e. it would be possible that a non handicapped person drove that car to that spot to pick up a handicapped person.

He saw the occupants leave the car and were obviously not disabled.  He said he couldn't chase after them as he was with his family.

Anyway, he paid 10,000 baht and that was the end of it.  His motivation for the incident was to highlight the problem.

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I read this story on Sunday.  The incident happened on Saturday.  He did take it up with the store who put a message on their speaker system.  The guy went to eat with his family then came back and the vehicle was still there.  He smashed the window then waited for the owner to return and explained his action and offered to pay for the damage.

The owner apologised claiming he never saw the sign and never heard the broadcasted message.

He saw the occupants leave the car and were obviously not disabled.  He said he couldn't chase after them as he was with his family.

Anyway, he paid 10,000 baht and that was the end of it.  His motivation for the incident was to highlight the problem.

yep! as far as he's concerned... "Job's Done!" 

it's also a fair cop that he recompense for causing Wilful Property Damage, as he is not a Duly Authorised Enforcement Uniformee (only 'they' are allowed to created collateral damage)

In the Netherlands parking a car on a handicapped spot will cost you € 380,-. If there also is a parking meter € 95,- will be added to that. Than you will have an administration fee for each violation of € 9,- each.

So in the worst way your banking account will be credited by € 493,-. That is about 16,000 - 17,000 ฿ with those ridiculously low exchange rates now.

In many Dutch cities the car is towed away within 30 minutes costing € 350,- to a government controlled lot and parking there will be € 15,- per hour.

This happened to me in 2011. Visiting a friend and legally parking on the street with a parking meter after the hours, so free parking. A supplier of a store couldn't park his truck in the spot in front of me so they just moved my car a bit and having the rear bumper just going over the line for the handicapped parking I parked in front of. There were witnesses of this action. One hour later my car was gone. I thought it was stolen but the witnesses told me it was towed away. Ended up paying € 882,- on the spot before I could get my car back. I had to pay on the spot because my car had a licenseplate from another country than the Netherlands.

Here in NSW (Oz) the fine for parking in a disability spot without displaying the right sticker is $519 or about 10,500 baht plus demerit points on your licence. Those who choose to go to court rather than pay up, usually get short shift from the Judge - fines of up to $2000 are the norm, especially in WA. Trouble is, I see too many obese slobs who have convinced their doctor to approve a disability sticker for them, when the doctor should have recommended exercise !

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

(from the linked article:)

"Commenting on the incident Mr. Manin Inpim, a campaigner for the rights of disabled people, said that he disagreed with any form of violence, but asked all shopping malls and department stores to ensure that their parking regulations are strictly enforced."

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but there will inevitably be the usual, "Do you know who I am?" c.rap from the ones who think they're entitled to park anywhere, by intimidating the security staff.

In some malls, I think you're right.

Have to applaud the management of Fashion Island. They have one complete parking floor assigned for only disabled, the elderly, mothers with children, etc. All different categories have their own color coded parking spaces on the floor with disabled being nearest to the door. They have a security guard permanently stationed at the entrance who check the category you think you're entitled to. 

I will keep my eyes open and report if I see any gate-crashers!

At out local Big C there are always able bodied people grabbing the disabled spaces.

There is a store in Mukdahan that has at least ten spaces reserved for the handicap or expecting mothers. All of them are always filled. But in the store I have not seen a handicapped person. Maybe a requirement to have a handicapped notice hanging from the morrow that's issued by the motor vehicle department plus a hefty fine would help. Never mind, TIT

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to human intelligence? A widespread debate???

Morons! Of course his actions were not justified, if we do not want a vigilante mob deciding what is the best way to follow the law.

He should have taken the subject up with security, and they should have dealt with it. However, that means they actually have to do their work too, which is not the fact today.

If anyone is genuinely wronged and the authorities are told about it and do nothing, then of course you should take it into your own hands, just make sure you don't get caught, I have lived by that all my adult life.

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Sounds like a good idea. I searched youtube for a clip. All those I saw blew the potato out of the exhaust, but didn't stall the engine.

Perhaps this might be more entertaining:

What you do is push the potato far up the exhaust pipe with a stick.

Archived