Car wrongly parked in handicapped space at shopping mall damaged by protester

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've never seen one either, but there again I've never looked. If there was such a beast, I'm sure someone in Khaosan Road would be selling them.

Some people have injuries which aren't obvious, leading the budding Dr/security guards to do the ol' 'you ain't disabled!' followed by the 'whistle-and-semaphore' routine 😐

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done Peerapong, more people like you needed. A very large percentage of drivers dont give a rats a++e about disabled parking places, just think i can park there no problem.

(from the linked article:) "Commenting on the incident Mr. Manin Inpim, a campaigner for the rights of disabled people, said that he disagreed with any form of violence, but asked all shopping ma

I get annoyed to Thais parking is disabled places.  I loathe every bit of their selfish, arrogant ignorance.

48 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I don't ever recall seeing a wheelchair or stick user getting out of offending cars.

Is there a blue badge equivalent here & if so how does it work?

There is a scheme apparently, the disabled badge  for vehicles can be got at the DLT offices.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

I asked you cos I assumed you had one.

No mate, when my wife went asking about it, the person who deals with them at our local office was not there, wife did not go back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, BestB said:
7 hours ago, ripstanley said:

It is not only Thailand. 

True. Difference is in other counties penalties are so severe that it hurts your backside having to pay the fine .

back in Oz , 20 years ago from memory fine was around $300, persons weekly salary 

The point being that the entitlement mentality isn't unique to Thailand.   Enforcement is the only reason there are ever handicapped spots available around the world.

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done Peerapong, more people like you needed.

A very large percentage of drivers dont give a rats a++e about disabled parking places, just think i can park there no problem.

I agree 100%. I do act, but I don't publicise it, or say where, or how, for obvious reasons. Needless to say that if there is no CCTV present, and only if I have seen that the driver is able-bodied (and especially if it's an expensive car). I only do this as nobody else will act as the poor old security guards are afraid of these people and won't (can't) enforce the rules.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

it was one person, sick and tired of the law not being followed.

We can agree and not agree, that is our free choice. 🙂 

However, all the answers is in your first paragraph. One person sick and tired of the law not beeing followed, and his best way to address that was by breaking the law himself. Great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, seen this many times, but I suggest a reason and a perhaps how it might be solved. Where are the most disabled parking spaces situated? Close the entrance of the shop? Of course they should be so that disabled drivers have a minimal distance to negotiate and that, I think is why able Thai drivers park there, to get as close as possible to the entrance. So perhaps shift the disabled parking spaces further away from the entrance? Well not really because that would defeat part of the object for serving disabled drivers. Perhaps a better idea would be for disabled drivers to on ticket, that is to apply for ticket from the/a service counter. But then that would require at very least a 'guard', either human or mechanical, to recognise the ticket and I can't see that happening. On the question of law, would I be correct in saying that parking areas on private/shopping are not covered by law?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

has admitted that he had deliberately smashed the vehicle’s windscreen because it was parked in the zone reserved for disabled people,

But did he verify that the person owning the vehicle didn't drive a disable person to the shopping centre.
Or did he just presume that as no identification was on the vehicle he could go ahead and damage the car?

• Thanks 1