TAT sees steady growth in tourist arrivals from Vietnam

snoop1130

By The Nation

800_bfb6fe217e23f4f.jpg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is looking to fast growth in tourist arrivals from Vietnam following the expansion of direct flights between the two countries by several carriers. 

Napasorn Kakai, director of TAT office in Ho Chi Minh city, said today (December 9) that it will benefit the first-time visitor market, especially from secondary cities in Vietnam, such as Hai Phong, Nha Trang, Da Lat, and Can Tho.

After Thai Vietjet, Thai AirAsia, Bangkok Airways, and Vietnam Airline have all launched new direct routes and added flights from Vietnam to Thailand’s tourist destinations, such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.

The total number of direct flights has now risen to 301 per week, from 288 last year.

Moreover, Thai Vietjet is set to inaugurate a new service from Ho Chi Minh city to U-Tapao on December 23 with one flight a day.

“Vietnam has a population of 97 million people, there is still room for growth in first time tourists,” said Napasorn.

“According to the marketing base of Vietnamese tourists traveling abroad in 2018, 1.07 million people from almost 9 million chose Thailand as the first tourist destination for two consecutive years since 2017.”

“We expected continuous growth of 2-3 per cent a year in the number of Vietnamese tourist, while growth of the country's tourism market is forecast to reach 8 per cent next year.”

The main competitor of Thailand in the Vietnam market is South Korea with the country's airlines having launched new routes and added flights to more than 403 flights a week. In addition, South Korea has been successful in promoting its products and tourist attractions such as K-Pop and cosmetic surgery services.

In the first ten months of this year, Vietnamese tourist arrivals in South Korea rose to about 500,000. 

“Competition with other countries is not a major factor because the Vietnamese economy has been growing well,” said Napasorn.

“Besides South Korea, Japan and Indonesia are also strong competitors of Thailand in the Vietnamese market, but TAT is still confident of Thailand's products and tourist attractions, especially the retail shops in Pratunam, Ratchaprasong and Ratchadaphisek areas”.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379247

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-09

Yes, there are many Vietnamese tourists in Chiang Mai. I am not sure if they will come back if they find out that they, as foreigners, have to pay a 6 time higher entrance fee to visit the Doi Inthanon than the Thais. The average income of Vietnamese is less than the average income of Thais.

46 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, there are many Vietnamese tourists in Chiang Mai. I am not sure if they will come back if they find out that they, as foreigners, have to pay a 6 time higher entrance fee to visit the Doi Inthanon than the Thais. The average income of Vietnamese is less than the average income of Thais.

If they keep their mouths shut they look like locals and will get the local fee. Sometimes silence truly is golden ????

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

There'll always be San Marino, Andorra and Liechtenstein to fill the gap.

And the Vatican.

Oh wait, they've had that one.

Was the Pope and his entourage counted in the tourist arrivals.?

2 hours ago, DLock said:

310 direct flight to Vietnam per week?

Thats 44 flights per day.

That is much higher that I would have ever guessed.

Is BKK just a convenient hub and easier to get to Vietnam than from other countries? 

A lot of Thai visit Vietnam also.

My friends go before. Is easy, cheap, quick to go.

2 hours ago, DLock said:

Is BKK just a convenient hub and easier to get to Vietnam than from other countries? 

From Europe it is sometimes cheaper to fly to BKK and from there to Vietnam. Especially if you want to go to a smaller city.

3 minutes ago, CLS said:

Right, from Vietnam, but not Vietnamese. Europeans flying from VN via Bangkok back home.

People doing so are counted as 2 tourists. One is coming from Europe. The second one arrives from Vietnam :clap2:

"TAT is still confident of Thailand's products and tourist attractions, especially the retail shops in Pratunam, Ratchaprasong and Ratchadaphisek areas"

Yeah right, that must be it.

They fly all the way just to go shopping.

Buy stuff at 5 times more the retail price of their own country.

And then fly back.

It could be they come for the famous Thai cultural dances, temples, food, beaches

but wouldn't think so.

Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laos come here to prospect jobs.

The other numbers in flights are from foreigners who fly back and forth to pick up their stuff they left behind when moving to Vietnam  ????

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

yes they went there first and their flights happened to connect via Thailand

these stupid people need to wake up before its too late 

oh wait 

5 hours ago, dimitriv said:

People doing so are counted as 2 tourists. One is coming from Europe. The second one arrives from Vietnam 

Now you know how they count and get their "tourists" numbers, The Pope also did not came alone for sure and up the numbers go.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Vietnam has a population of 97 million people, there is still room for growth in first time tourists,” said Napasorn.

Yes, and they are in the process of passing up Thailand.   As their numbers increase, use that a barometer  that things need to change in Thailand. 

There are currently 16 return flights each day Hanoi to Thailand. I would estimate from my own experience that 75 per cent of travellers are Vietnamese.

The main attraction is shopping in Bangkok where the variety of products available is greater and often a lot cheaper than in Vietnam.

I wonder how TAT calculate this. I flew in from Vietnam a few days ago, and the flight was nearly full..... Of Thais, returning from their Vietnam holiday! Here's betting that they count the number of passengers on the incoming flight as arrivals from Vietnam, but don't worry about the nationality of the passengers. ????

13 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

The National Park staff will not charge them like Western tourists because they won't realize that they aren't Thai.
Same as they don't stop talking Thai with Philippinos. 555

12 hours ago, DLock said:

That's about 14 hours landing and taxiing wow what chance has any other country got .

9 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

I wonder how TAT calculate this. I flew in from Vietnam a few days ago, and the flight was nearly full..... Of Thais, returning from their Vietnam holiday! Here's betting that they count the number of passengers on the incoming flight as arrivals from Vietnam, but don't worry about the nationality of the passengers. ????

Yes, and they also have plenty of Westerners on these flights as well; more people take two or more centre holidays.

I know someone eelse said it but I burst out laughing when I read that the Vietnamese come to go shopping in the likes of Pratunam. Vietnam has so many equivalents. I'm sure TAT just make these things up.

Archived