Jump to content
BANGKOK
OZinPattaya

US Emergency Passport - okay at BKK?

Recommended Posts

Suffice it say that my US passport was stolen (along with my 10k baht for tourist stamp income purposes) in Vietnam the other day. Plan on getting an Emergency Visa at US Embassy in HCMC. I believe this is a full passport as opposed to an emergency departure doc. Are emergency passports valid/okay at Bangkok BKK? I emailed Thai Consulate in HCMC but so far no word. 

 

I am currently in Nha Trang. Is it possible to get on a plane with Vietjet with no passport? I have a police report from Nha Trang police stating that it was "lost." Police would not give report if I stated it was stolen. I tried calling Vietjet many times and I always get disconnected immediately. Otherwise should I take the train to Saigon? Bus? No passport needed then, only passport number? 

 

Thanks, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man that's bad luck. In Los you can fly domestic with photo ID. Such as DL.

Not sure about Vietnam. Nha Trang is a hike from Saigon but fall back position is train/bus. Check out Jetstar. Might be more helpful. Temporary pp consists of couple pages and is good for international travel. Can't advise on USA pp replacement time. Mine from OZ took very little time. Think 5 days.

Just to clarify you don't want emergency visa. You need emergency passport and obtain visa exempt entry at Los. 

Wait for better advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems Vietjet does allow a local police report in place of lost passport. I can't tell though if the police report is in addition to 'diplomatic document' or is an alternative. 

 

From their website

 

a. Foreign passport or laissez-passer, separate visa, permanent residence card or temporary residence card issued by Vietnam (these document must have Vietnamese exit and entry stamp as prescribed).

b. In case of losing passport, passenger must present diplomatic document from his/ her country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consulates or official letter of Department of Foreign Affairs, local police where the passenger lost the passport to confirm personal record or inform the case. Document must have passenger’s ID image and overlapping stamp. These documents will be valid within 30 days from the issued date;

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emergency passports are usually only good for a departure flight out of the country were issued. You can use them for hotel as well but have a short life span.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Man that's bad luck. In Los you can fly domestic with photo ID. Such as DL.

Not sure about Vietnam. Nha Trang is a hike from Saigon but fall back position is train/bus. Check out Jetstar. Might be more helpful. Temporary pp consists of couple pages and is good for international travel. Can't advise on USA pp replacement time. Mine from OZ took very little time. Think 5 days.

Just to clarify you don't want emergency visa. You need emergency passport and obtain visa exempt entry at Los. 

Wait for better advice. 

Correct. Emergency  passport, not visa, I misspoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, easy from couch in Thailand but I would go to airport and deal directly with staff either vietjet or Jetstar. Do you have photo ID. DL from home country? 

Fly to Saigon and obtain emergency pp there. I might even consider just saying that I lost it.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moe666 said:

Emergency passports are usually only good for a departure flight out of the country were issued. You can use them for hotel as well but have a short life span.

I thought that was only the case with the so-called emergency travel document, not emergency passport. Will call US Embassy tomorrow and see if they know for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, easy from couch in Thailand but I would go to airport and deal directly with staff either vietjet or Jetstar. Do you have photo ID. DL from home country? 

Fly to Saigon and obtain emergency pp there. I might even consider just saying that I lost it.

Good luck

Yes, US driver's license and picture/copy of passport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OZinPattaya said:

I thought that was only the case with the so-called emergency travel document, not emergency passport. Will call US Embassy tomorrow and see if they know for sure.

As I mentioned previously. Better advice will come along. Esp from Ubonjoe. Think he is USA so expert advice soon.

In meantime my concern is not just obtaining emergency pp.

Years ago I was about to travel from Los to Vietnam and realized my pp was about to end. I went to Oz embassy bkk and applied for replacement pp along with emergency pp.

I returned in 8 days and both emergency and new "normal" pp had arrived. Yes that's correct. So the embassy staff made me accept the emergency pp, sign doc. Then hand it back, cancel it and then hand my new full passport over to me.

Point is you would need apply for emergency pp in Saigon then pp in Thailand. How would that work.

BTW...I keep referring to it as emergency pp. It may have another name. Looks exactly same as normal pp. With one/2 pages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

As I mentioned previously. Better advice will come along. Esp from Ubonjoe. Think he is USA so expert advice soon.

In meantime my concern is not just obtaining emergency pp.

Years ago I was about to travel from Los to Vietnam and realized my pp was about to end. I went to Oz embassy bkk and applied for replacement pp along with emergency pp.

I returned in 8 days and both emergency and new "normal" pp had arrived. Yes that's correct. So the embassy staff made me accept the emergency pp, sign doc. Then hand it back, cancel it and then hand my new full passport over to me.

Point is you would need apply for emergency pp in Saigon then pp in Thailand. How would that work.

BTW...I keep referring to it as emergency pp. It may have another name. Looks exactly same as normal pp. With one/2 pages

Yes, my plan was to get the emergency passport in Saigon and then apply in person for permanent passport at US Embassy in Bangkok the day after I get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, easy from couch in Thailand but I would go to airport and deal directly with staff either vietjet or Jetstar. Do you have photo ID. DL from home country? 

Fly to Saigon and obtain emergency pp there. I might even consider just saying that I lost it.

Good luck

On their website JetStar says for domestic travel a passport is "usually" not required, just photo id, so I will probably go that way, thanks for the suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Yes, my plan was to get the emergency passport in Saigon and then apply in person for permanent passport at US Embassy in Bangkok the day after I get there. 

Think good plan. As I mentioned earlier I think just go to airport with your USA DL and after checking with airline purchase flight either at sales counter or online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for future reference to anyone who loses a passport in Nha Trang (and perhaps most of Vietnam in general).

 

1. Bring a translator! The officer insisted on my having a translator. My sweet mama-san hotel manager and husband met me at police station. God bless them.

2. If money was also stolen, do not report this. Just take it for a loss. They are extremely reluctant to file police reports over stolen income and may outright refuse to create a report at all.

3. Report passport as "lost" to police even if stolen. It amounts to the same thing anyway, and in my case they made me fill out a second police report stating that it was lost, end of story. 

 

If US passport, and I imagine other countries, you MUST get a local police report even for lost passports in order to obtain an emergency passport. This has to do with the now nonexistent entry stamp, I believe. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Just for future reference to anyone who loses a passport in Nha Trang (and perhaps most of Vietnam in general).

 

1. Bring a translator! The officer insisted on my having a translator. My sweet mama-san hotel manager and husband met me at police station. God bless them.

2. If money was also stolen, do not report this. Just take it for a loss. They are extremely reluctant to file police reports over stolen income and may outright refuse to create a report at all.

3. Report passport as "lost" to police even if stolen. It amounts to the same thing anyway, and in my case they made me fill out a second police report stating that it was lost, end of story. 

 

If US passport, and I imagine other countries, you MUST get a local police report even for lost passports in order to obtain an emergency passport. This has to do with the now nonexistent entry stamp, I believe. 

 

So correct. Think I mentioned above.... when back bkk and go through process of replacement full pp just say you lost it. 

Mention of stolen will open can of worms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So correct. Think I mentioned above.... when back bkk and go through process of replacement full pp just say you lost it. 

Mention of stolen will open can of worms.

You don't imagine Embassy will make a bigger effort to expedite if reported stolen than lost? Probably not. I think I'll take your advice.

 

Even worse in Thailand. You're liable to get charged with filing a false police report if you report stolen income or property. Risky. The backpackers committing insurance fraud to finance their holidays has led to this. 

Edited by OZinPattaya
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...