B20k required on entry for 30 day Visa Waiver ?

I have UK family arriving next month for their annual 30 day visa waiver visit and they are asking me, because of what they have read in the UK press, if they need to bring cash of £500 (B20k) each to show at passport control.  I do believe that this may be one of those legislated but never enforced Thai rules, like 90% of the law, but am wondering if, in the present less than friendly climate, is it now being enforced ?

I have been coming and going, including several multiple year periods, for thirty-five years and I have never been asked on any kind of visa or waiver to produce cash.  But then for my first working period of five years, I never did a single nonsense 90 day report, nobody did, although it was there on the arrivals card. 

For a 30 day visa exempt entry it is 10k baht for an individual or 20k baht for a family. The 20k (40k baht for a family) baht number is for a entry with a valid visa.

Immigration seldom asks to see the 10k baht on entry. It appears they only ask to to see it if looking for a reason to deny entry due to a history of using them to liver here.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For a 30 day visa exempt entry it is 10k baht for an individual or 20k baht for a family. The 20k (40k baht for a family) baht number is for a entry with a valid visa.

Immigration seldom asks to see the 10k baht on entry. It appears they only ask to to see it if looking for a reason to deny entry due to a history of using them to liver here.

Thank you Joe.