Bangkok Bank passbook stolen

I'm the guy who just posted about my US passport getting stolen in Nha Trang, Vietnam. Well, it gets worse. My Bank of Bangkok passbooks were also stolen in the same theft. Like an idiot I had brought them with me. The first was a blue book that showed the original FTT transfer, the second an orange book after I had transferred the 800k baht into a fixed deposit account. Now, I think I should wait till I get back to Pattaya to report these books "lost" (in Pattaya) for the requisite police report. Fortunately I know where my originating bank is and can get to it easy.  But my understanding is that Bank of Bangkok will close the original accounts before issuing new bankbooks. If they issue new books will they show the original FTT transfer of the 800k (which I understand I need when time comes for me to apply for a tourist stamp conversion to non-o based on retirement)? Basically, if they issue new books will this somehow mess me up when I apply for the non-o? I understand the non-o conversion requires no seasoning of the 800k, correct? So that shouldn't be an issue. 

What a mess. 

• Haha 2

Again? You will be arriving Los visa exempt due to lost passport in Vietnam.

Think you downplay ease of obtaining replacement bank accounts. They my want see your full replacement pp.

Also conversion to non o at Thai imm requires funds came from outside of Thailand. Anyway up to you!

4 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

At this point I would be more worried about the safekeeping of the funds in the account. With a passport and bank book any foreigner around your age can just walk into any Bangkok Bank and make a withdrawal and empty the account. Fat chance the cashier will look closely at the actual photo. 

My suggestion is to contact your bank ASAP to ask how to secure the funds for the time being. 

Good advice but note his pp etc was stolen in Vietnam. 

Vietnam does not accept visit to withdrawal at their banks with cards bankbook etc. 

I note you mention Bangkok bank. His pp etc is in Vietnam.

33 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

But my understanding is that Bank of Bangkok will close the original accounts before issuing new bankbooks.

Nope

Bangkok Bank can deliver you a new book bank without close your original account.

But you need to keep with you the police claim where you declare that your book bank

has been stolen.

If you have done your claim in Vietnam, the claim must be translated in Thai or

at least in english for the Thai bank and the Thai immigration

This Police record (Traducted in Thai) should be also useful for immigration

and prove why you can not show the old one with the transfer of money from abroad.

The bank can deliver you a letter with all the statements about your money (800 000 and

money come from abroad) for immigration use, (The cost of the letter is usualy 100 bahts)

good luck

and do not wait too long before to inform your bank about the theft of your bank book and

your passeport, the crooks are quick and Vietnam is not far from Thailand. Secure your account is a priority!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I think for most criminals it makes sense to take a flight from Vietnam to Thailand to have access to an 800,000+ Baht account. 

Ok Sherlock .... Whatever. So some Vietnamese thief gets to bkk. Arrange some farang of similar age and looks to enter bank and make withdrawal. Esp when accounts perhaps been frozen. Expensive round trip. Not to mention possible fraud.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Their websites says 24/7. I'm trying the listed overseas # 66026455555. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Relax. Yes I'm only one opinion, but think about it. I just few days ago had need for new bankbook. Previous was full. 

At issue I had to sign in 3 different areas on the bankbook. It's typical ultraviolet signiture. Prior to that I made 500k deposit into account. They of course insisted upon my pp and took good look at my handsome dial. 

I spend LOT time Vietnam. Theft there is common. Mostly snatch and grab or pickpocket. 

23 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't know what is your actual situation but imo you need to go as quick as possible 

to your bank in Thailand. You can not be sure at 100% your account is secure just with a phone call

His situation is that he is currently in Vietnam. So what's your idea. Make a call to Thailand and freeze bank account. Perhaps possible re credit card. 

BTW he can't "go to his bank in Thailand"

Mainly because he is in Da Nang.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So what's your idea.

my idea is he needs to secure his bank account

if you think a phone call is enough, let's go for it and do a prayer.

If he freezes his bank account, i hope he has another source of money available

because after that he will not be able to use his bangkok bank credit card anymore.

1 hour ago, OZinPattaya said:

Their websites says 24/7. I'm trying the listed overseas # 66026455555. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

On my card I see 

0-2645-5555

0-2645-1333

Don't you have to remove the leading zero for international calls ?

>> Yes, I've been trying to call Bangkok Bank from Vietnam but can't get through. I get a message in Thai, then it hangs up. Maybe they are closed right now, do not have 24 hour service?

Maybe that message says: "This number does not exist" ?

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 1

First, go to the ATM

get some money so you are sure you can get back home.

Then close your account ASAP.

They might try to go online or whatever they can to use your credentials.

Go to Vietnamese police station to file a stolen passport and bankbook etc.

That is just in case for future identity fraud.

Back in Thailand, go to the police station and say that your passport and bankbook are stolen on a trip and you do not know where exactly.

Could be Vietnam or Thailand.

With the police report, you can get a new passport, and then afterwards open a new account.

Maybe they reinstate the closed/blocked account. I don't know that. But your history is in their system, so any funds can be written in your new bank book.

Good luck there

• Like 2

If you can,t get through to them by phone, do you have a friend that can go to your branch and pass you on the phone to the bank manager? 

Their customer care has an email [email protected]

wouldn.t hurt to send an email too.

And I agree with the previous poster to say you don.t know where it was lost.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Locate-Us   this link gives branch telephone numbers.

Good luck

Edited by bigginhill

7 hours ago, OZinPattaya said:

I'm the guy who just posted about my US passport getting stolen in Nha Trang, Vietnam

I see in your previous OP you posted simply: "Suffice it say that my US passport was stolen." Could you give any details about the circumstances of the theft? That might help future travelers to Vietnam avoid a similar fate.

page 35

https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/Files/Personal/Other-Services/Branch-Services/International-Branches/ExpatBooklet_Jan2017.ashx?la=en&hash=15587776FB3E6C04F9DE10BC2742AFE153E20D44

Has the +66 2645 5555 number as we'll...

dialing 0066 2645 5544 should have worked ??

Edited by UKresonant

9 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I think you need a police report in Vietnam firdt about passport and bank books.

When you return to  Thailand bank  may ask you to translate the police report if they are not in English.

Good luck.

Often Vietnam police will not accept police report for stolen property. 

How do you come up with Thai bank story.

Please post FACTS!

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How would he do that that from Da Nang.

Esp without pp. 

Next idea?

By phone and Bank “app”, 

If he does banking by bank phone applications and his account is a savings, not a fixed deposit account.

but as I said, if it is possible

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

How would he do that that from Da Nang.

Esp without pp. 

Next idea?

Does he not have internet or mobile banking? Certainly can be done on the Blue Book account.The FD account presents more of a challenge. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:57 AM, DrJack54 said:

His situation is that he is currently in Vietnam. So what's your idea. Make a call to Thailand and freeze bank account. Perhaps possible re credit card. 

BTW he can't "go to his bank in Thailand"

Mainly because he is in Da Nang.

..plus he has no passport, how will he get back into Thailand without one, that will cause some delay.. my guess would be to contact his embassy if there is one in DaNang to get some sort of I.D. so he can enter Thailand again.. 

Edited by anicon
word deletion
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, anicon said:

..plus he has no passport, how will he get back into Thailand without one, that will cause some delay.. my guess would be to contact his embassy if there is one in DaNang to get some sort of I.D. so he can enter Thailand again.. 

That was discussed and advice was given on page one of this topic.

There is only a US embassy in Hanoi and a consulate in Ho Chi Minh City.

There is never more than one embassy for a country anywhere and it is typically only in the capital of a country.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 6:55 AM, Roy Baht said:

I see in your previous OP you posted simply: "Suffice it say that my US passport was stolen." Could you give any details about the circumstances of the theft? That might help future travelers to Vietnam avoid a similar fate.

second that, would love to hear a bit of details of the theft when you have time, could be useful.

UPDATE FROM OP:

Against all odds my passport and bank books were recovered by the police. They wouldn’t go into too much detail but apparently some good Samaritan reported on the individual who took them. They are not going to charge him since everything was “lost” but implied that he was detained for eviction from Vietnam. So obviously not a Vietnamese National who was the culprit. Hmm, I wonder who else it could be? The return-home baht is gone but I’m not complaining. Am now back in good old Pattaya just in time to witness the banner high in tourists here ????

thanks all for your helpful suggestions

• Thanks 1