Bangkok Bank passbook stolen

On 12/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, freeman01 said:

second that, would love to hear a bit of details of the theft when you have time, could be useful.

Here’s the sad and comical story in a nutshell:

Bank books and passport were in money belt concealed under my shirt. No safe in hotel. I just didn’t trust the security of the hotel so I thought it would be safer to carry on my person. Too much to drink at Sailing Club with friendly and very drunk Norwegian guy. Made the bad judgement to stop at an after-hours bar on my way back to hotel. Fight erupts between two groups of Russians and I find myself in the middle of it. Beer bottles, fists flying everywhere. People grabbing at me because they think I’m part of it. (Every white guy in Nha Trang is assumed to be Russian until proven otherwise). Somehow the money belt goes missing during the melee.

Lesson same as in Pattaya: watch the alcohol intake and use your brain. I did neither and it bit me in the @ss.

Aside from this debacle I really did like Nha Trang. Very relaxing. Good option for expats/retirees looking for an alternative to LOS. Beautiful beaches, unbelievable promenades and communal spaces. More a cafe culture than a bar culture.

Edited by OZinPattaya
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OZinPattaya said:

Fight erupts between two groups of Russians and I find myself in the middle of it. Beer bottles, fists flying everywhere. People grabbing at me because they think I’m part of it. (Every white guy in Nha Trang is assumed to be Russian until proven otherwise). Somehow the money belt goes missing during the melee.

... Very relaxing.

Yes indeed sounds like it's a very relaxing place

????

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:12 PM, DrJack54 said:

Often Vietnam police will not accept police report for stolen property. 

How do you come up with Thai bank story.

Please post FACTS!

Thanks a lot !   I did not know that Vietnamese police did not do what they are supposed to do by making an official report of a stolen passport. Is it the same for stolen cars and motorcycle ?

Is it a fact of you personal experience ?

If it's just the bank book gone missing I don't see it as a big deal. Can't do much without ATM and pin. 

"Just get another farang to walk into bank with your passport and bank book."

Really? Hey I'd give you mine to try but that's illegal on my part.

If your really worried just transfer funds out of account if you can't block it.

You can fly back in get Visa exempt, sort bank out, transfer money back, still have time to apply for non O. Worst case, immigration wants to start seasoning again. Extend Visa ex, Lao run to get 60 days.

As long as you have police reports I don't think Thai immigration will be a problem. Contrary to popular belief Immigration is there to assist / help you. Your trying to do the right thing. You have the funds etc. Just a little hick up to get the blood pumping.

Block the account or transfer out. Rest will sort itself out.

Don't worry too much.

12 hours ago, Toadie said:

If it's just the bank book gone missing I don't see it as a big deal. Can't do much without ATM and pin. 

You probably only read the title of the topic

and you have missed the point where his passport was also stolen.

Anyway it should be interesting to know how the OP has handdle the situation now

and if he has been able to solve all the problems and how.

It could be handy for the members here

just in case

tyia

46 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Anyway it should be interesting to know how the OP has handdle the situation now

and if he has been able to solve all the problems and how.

See

On 12/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, OZinPattaya said:

UPDATE FROM OP:

Against all odds my passport and bank books were recovered by the police. They wouldn’t go into too much detail but apparently some good Samaritan reported on the individual who took them. They are not going to charge him since everything was “lost” but implied that he was detained for eviction from Vietnam. So obviously not a Vietnamese National who was the culprit. Hmm, I wonder who else it could be? The return-home baht is gone but I’m not complaining. Am now back in good old Pattaya just in time to witness the banner high in tourists here ????

thanks all for your helpful suggestions

• Thanks 1