Jump to content
BANGKOK
Golden Triangle

Does anyone here have an Alexa or Echo & do they work okay ?

Recommended Posts

I have been thinking of buying an Alexa or Echo just for the radio and possibly video chats with family back home, do any of you have one and how are they in Thailand, I have heard some conflicting reports, some say very good, others say don't bother.

 

Your thoughts, Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had one for about a year. It's plugged into my stereo so I just ask Alexa to play my favourite streaming radio like Radio Paradise and listen to uninterrupted music all day. The choice of streaming music is massive, but I can also ask Alexa any question, eg like time in New York, how many grammes in an ounce etc. I have used it to chat with a mate in the US without any problems as well.

Edited by giddyup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Have had one for about a year. It's plugged into my stereo so I just ask Alexa to play my favourite streaming radio like Radio Paradise and listen to uninterrupted music all day. The choice of streaming music is massive, but I can also ask Alexa any question, eg like time in New York, how many grammes in an ounce etc. I have used it to chat with a mate in the US without any problems as well.

Thanks for that, I want to listen to live radio from the UK like Absolute radio or Virgin radio and some of the BBC stations, any problems ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks for that, I want to listen to live radio from the UK like Absolute radio or Virgin radio and some of the BBC stations, any problems ? 

 

I'm no expert, but I guess as long as it's a radio station that streams it should be available on Alexa.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of upgrading my AV receiver so I can take advantage of 4K, HDMI eARC connectivity, and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X technology.

 

Most modern receivers these days also come with Alexa Voice Control so you can enjoy hands-free control of your entertainment system.. adjust the volume, skip to the next track, switch inputs for your different media players and more.

 

As the AV receiver is the hub of any home entertainment system, I would have thought that it would be better to have an Alexa based receiver, rather than a standalone piece of kit.

 

I am yet to see one demonstrated though.

 

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I want one is because at the moment I am listening to the BBC via Chrome via my Minix box through my LG TV, it can be on for over 12 hours a day and I realised that it's not doing my TV any good in respect of screen life as there is no way (tat I know of) to blacken the screen so one day it will just stop, as has happened to me before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Jai Dee said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my AV receiver so I can take advantage of 4K, HDMI eARC connectivity, and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X technology.

 

Most modern receivers these days also come with Alexa Voice Control so you can enjoy hands-free control of your entertainment system.. adjust the volume, skip to the next track, switch inputs for your different media players and more.

 

As the AV receiver is the hub of any home entertainment system, I would have thought that it would be better to have an Alexa based receiver, rather than a standalone piece of kit.

 

I am yet to see one demonstrated though.

 

Any thoughts?

An Echo Dot runs about $20-30, how much is a new Alexa based receiver?

Edited by giddyup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have both. Alexa better quality sound, google does more including translation  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, giddyup said:

An Echo Dot runs about $20-30, how much is a new Alexa based receiver?

 

About US$1,000 for the one I'm looking at... however I want the other goodies too...  4K, HDMI eARC connectivity, and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X technology, which my current receiver does not have. 

 

And rather than being Alexa-based, it is supported... as you can speak commands with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Your thoughts, Thanks in advance.

it has been proven that these devices listen to everything that goes on in your home. 24/7.

sure, they are listening 24/7 and waiting for commands. but they are doing something else.

 

don't think so? invite a friend over and begin talking about something you want to buy. Something you have never expressed a interest in before. It will not be long before your targeted ads begin the reflect that conversation.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golden Triangle, I have a 1st generation Echo Dot and to speak to it you say "Alexa" so I thought they were one and the same? However I'm no expert so I could be wrong. What I do know is that as I write this, I'm listening to BBC Radio One. Can you hear in the background? 😜

 

I also listen to TalkSport and Smooth Radio with no probs whatsoever. 

 

Can't comment on video calling as I have no probs with Skype or Messenger. Hope this helps. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to use Alexa and Echo, do you have to have a subscription to Amazon Prime, or will they just pick up via WiFi anything your PC or phone can receive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

it has been proven that these devices listen to everything that goes on in your home. 24/7.

sure, they are listening 24/7 and waiting for commands. but they are doing something else.

 

don't think so? invite a friend over and begin talking about something you want to buy. Something you have never expressed a interest in before. It will not be long before your targeted ads begin the reflect that conversation.

 

Yeah I had heard that, I think it's likely to be very disappointed with the conversations between me and the other half 🙂 

 

On a more serious note I will forgo the ad intrusions on FB etc if it prevents me having to spend big money for a new smart TV. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

If you want to use Alexa and Echo, do you have to have a subscription to Amazon Prime, or will they just pick up via WiFi anything your PC or phone can receive?

I'm not sure, someone will inform us I'm sure, I think you only need an Amazon account for software updates & that sort of thing, but someone will hopefully clue us up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...