Renting condo/apartment in Thailand as a foreigner

I am a US citizen and planning to stay 60 or 90 days in Bangkok. Initially I will book a place on Airbnb or hotel but they are very expensive as they are mostly for tourists.. is there an agency or website that helps foreigners rent a place in Thailand? I'm guessing it will be difficult to rent as a foreigners because extra paperwork will be needed and they wane someone who will stay long term, not a few months. Looking forward to your advice!  

Condos are usually rented out with a one year contract. In general no problem to rent one as a foreigner.

Shorter contracts exist, but are rare. If you want something for 60-90 days you might want to look at serviced apartments. They also provide bed sheets and towels and provide room cleaning. If you would rent a condo you would have to buy such things.

I would find a condo you like on airbnb and then negotiate a reasonable fee from the host for the length you want. I rarely pay the stated price and negotiate. Check the availability calendar of the property if it is fairly empty they will probably be open to negotiation.

13 hours ago, Swimfan said:

I would find a condo you like on airbnb and then negotiate a reasonable fee from the host for the length you want. I rarely pay the stated price and negotiate. Check the availability calendar of the property if it is fairly empty they will probably be open to negotiation.

@Swimfan that's a good idea. I was surprised to see how expensive Airbnb are in Thailand

One adjustment I had to make as an American to survive 12 years in China and 7 years in Thailand is that negotiation is an acceptable component of almost all transactions in Asia.  It's not frowned upon or dreaded like it is back home.  Just because they ask for a year, doesn't mean you can't negotiate that down to 3 months.  It may require a price adjustment, and you may have to try several different properties, but don't give up. 

I'd suggest getting a rental agent, telling them your needs and budget and let them find you a place.  Pick an agent in the area you want to stay.

Edit:  I'd add that if you're looking for 90 days, you may need to accept paying all up front to make a deal work.  It's normally a 1-2 month deposit on top of the first month's rent anyway.  But that's all part of the negotiation.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, danield said:

will book a place on Airbnb or hotel but they are very expensive

Expensive is relative. 

4-5 stars hotels can be "expensive" 

2-3 stars less. 

Airbnb has also different prices, depends on location and "luxury" of the apartment. 

When in Pattaya I stay in a Condotel, I pay ca. 20000 Thb a month (Rent, electricity, water, cable TV, Internet, cleaning and changing bed & bath linnen 1 time a week). 

There is a lift, swimming pool, fitness, sauna, relax area. 

Cheaper (smaller) rooms available. 

This based on at least 3 months stay.

Less : more expensive. 

I give the place  a 3-4 stars. 

I don't find it expensive for what I get;

others may have a different opinion. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:13 AM, gk10002000 said:

it is easy to rent.  Many many walk in agencies will help you find a place.  Go online and just search for Bangkok condos for rent and you will see dozens of sites with listings and good photos and descriptions at all price ranges.

for two to three month leases?

Most contracts in Thailand are for 12 months. It is possible to get 6 months at a slightly higher price, but not all landlords will agree to that. 60-90 days I don't think any landlord will agree to give you unless you pay significantly more. Your best bet is Airbnb or something similar. Try to negotiate with the owner directly and cut out Airbnb as they charge high fees you're paying extra.

In Pattaya it is easy to find apts and condos for 1, 2, or 3 month leases.  This is partly due to Pattaya having an oversupply of available units, and the tourist industry where you have many people there on shorter holidays, and "snowbirds" escaping the winter in their home country.  Bangkok is a little different in this regard but it can still be done.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Expensive is relative. 

2-3 stars less. 

Airbnb has also different prices, depends on location and "luxury" of the apartment. 

When in Pattaya I stay in a Condotel, I pay ca. 20000 Thb a month (Rent, electricity, water, cable TV, Internet, cleaning and changing bed & bath linnen 1 time a week). 

Many condo listing are also advertised on Airbnb, it's much easier for a foreigner to rent this way when out of the country. Most condos in pattaya are for rent on Airbnb, and everything is included, water electric, wifi, cleaning laundry etc etc etc. Pool gym.

and no problem with monthly rentals, no contracts, quite easy , no agents involved and legal.

10 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

just goto facebook marketplace...message the owners of the apartments in facebook saying you want the apartment for 2-3 months....Will be WAY WAY cheaper then airbnb!!

Definitely a good way to go. 

Also, there are plenty of serviced apartments of varying quality, budget etc which will give you a 2 month or 3 month deal. 

What / where all depends on your monthly budget. 

I have an english speaking agent that can help you out.

I usually rent a condo for 6 months, although for shorter terms I have stayed in the Boss Mansion near Soi 42 on Rama 4, a little old and worn but clean and nice staff and great location and resonably priced. Next year I will stay there or in another serviced apartment as I am going to split my time in a few places.

There is nothing like seeing the neighborhoods and facilities first hand. Might be a long walk down a side soi. Book a 3-day stay in a reasonable hotel. Have a list of 4 or 5 serviced apartments or condotels in your budget range. Hire a driver and check out the locations of each. Then inspect your top two and negotiate, or just grab the one you like. They might look fine online but a murky pool or musty bedroom can ruin your stay.

15 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Expensive is relative. 

2-3 stars less. 

20000 a month you’re being totally ripped off, I have all that in a 3 yr old condo. One bedroom and lounge not a studio for 11000.

7 minutes ago, looking for LIFE insurance said:

What no one has mentioned is you will be required to leave a deposit.

You will NEVER get that deposit returned to you, even if you leave the apartment spotless,

Fresh flowers in the bath, and a bottle of SangSom in kitchen...

really? I got my deposit back last year.

8 minutes ago, looking for LIFE insurance said:

You will NEVER get that deposit returned to you, even if you leave the apartment spotless,

Rubbish, that's like the 'foreigner is always wrong' myth perpetuated in these forums by the uninitiated....

There are a lot of stories of those who don't get their deposit back, some who seem to think minor damage is cheap to repair, or those who've been cheated. Then there are also many who've always had their deposit returned. 

20 years and about 7 different rentals - my deposit has always been returned. 

My last two rentals costs were taken out of the deposit for minor repairs (to repair a sofa which had a hole in it and to replace a fridge door which had dented when I opened it) - all fair enough. 

30 minutes ago, Caine said:

20000 a month you’re being totally ripped off, I have all that in a 3 yr old condo. One bedroom and lounge not a studio for 11000.

20,000 baht a month, or 11,000 baht a month - those places must be sh!t holes...  I've paid 70,000 baht for a decent 2 BR place in central bangkok, I gave the place 5*....

See what I did there? Horses for courses, everyones standards, expectations and understanding of value for money are quite different... 

19 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Most contracts in Thailand are for 12 months. It is possible to get 6 months at a slightly higher price, but not all landlords will agree to that. 60-90 days I don't think any landlord will agree to give you unless you pay significantly more. Your best bet is Airbnb or something similar. Try to negotiate with the owner directly and cut out Airbnb as they charge high fees you're paying extra.

I could also just make a deal for 12 months and lose the deposit if i leave after 90 days, as long as i will pay less than airbnb. It might be frowned upon but they will keep the deposit.

4 hours ago, looking for LIFE insurance said:

If that is the case there is no point negotiating 3 or 12 months. I will lose the deposit either way lol

11 hours ago, Caine said:

Interesting, 

This is where I stay :

WWW.MAXXCITY.COM

Can you please let me know where you stay? 

On 12/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, danield said:

If that is the case there is no point negotiating 3 or 12 months. I will lose the deposit either way lol

Lived in phuket a few years now, first apartment no need even for a deposit and I stayed for a year, had a wonderful thai lady landlord...Current place stayed for 3 months in low season 5,000 thb deposit rent was 11k( meant to be for a year but i got it for 3 months). I extended my current rental for the next year and the landlord was still happy with the 5k deposit(it's a fairly new apartment complex too). Facebook marketplace, message the owners and barter, there are TONS of empty places here right now so you have all the bargaining power!!

Archived