British serial rapist Joseph McCann given 33 life sentences

webfact

Serial rapist given 33 life sentences after UK rampage while wrongly free

LONDON (Reuters) - A convicted burglar who assaulted and raped women and children during a two-week rampage across Britain while wrongly free from jail was given 33 life sentences on Monday, with the judge saying he would never cease to be a danger to society.

Joseph McCann, 34, was convicted of 37 offences relating to 11 victims aged between 11 and 71, committed in April and May this year. He kidnapped seven people during the spree.

He will serve 30 years in jail before he is considered for release. Sentencing him at London's Old Bailey Court, judge Andrew Edis said he was "a coward, a violent bully and a paedophile".

"You have never expressed a word of regret or concern for your victims. You are entirely obsessed with yourself and believe you are entitled to use other people in any way you want," he said. "You are a classic psychopath; I don't think you will ever cease to be dangerous."

The head of Britain's probation service has apologised for mistakes in McCann's case, after it emerged that McCann should have been in jail at the time of his rampage, having been caught committing a burglary while on parole for an earlier one.

Britain's system for monitoring and rehabilitating criminals has become a political issue ahead of an election on Thursday, after a convicted terrorist on parole killed two people in a stabbing attack on London Bridge on Nov. 29.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson accuses the opposition Labour Party of being soft on crime; Labour accuses the Conservative government of making the public less safe by under-funding the parole system.

HEINOUS CRIMES

McCann's attacks began on April 21, when he kidnapped a 21-year-old woman at knife point in Watford, north of London. Four days later, he kidnapped two more women in north London and subjected them to repeated rapes and sexual assaults.

They escaped when one hit McCann over the head with a bottle of vodka, but he eluded capture.

He then detained a woman in her home in northern England and sexually abused her children, aged 11 and 17, before raping a 71-year-old woman he attacked as she got into her car. He then kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in the car before both escaped and alerted police.

The manhunt ended when police spotted McCann's car and cornered him hidden up a tree.

"McCann is one of the most dangerous offenders this country has ever seen and the sentence handed down today is a reflection of his heinous crimes," Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin said. "We all had one ultimate aim – to bring McCann to justice and make sure no-one else will ever have to suffer at his hands."

(Reporting by Alistair Smout; Editing by Peter Graff)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-10

16 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

There are occasions when I think we should bring back the death penalty...or at the very least a lifetime of hard labor breaking up rocks or something.

I don't believe on hell after death . so how about making hell for him in this life.I like your idea of a lifetime of hard labor, to which I will ad the occasional jail cell rape.  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

was given 33 life sentences on Monday, with the judge saying he would never cease to be a danger to society

and therefore:

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He will serve 30 years in jail before he is considered for release.

"He will serve 30 years in jail before he is considered for release"..... this after getting 33 life sentences? WHAT in the BLEEP is wrong with the judicial system in the UK? I wonder how differently it would be if one of the victims was a relative of the judge. 

When he was finally arrested, cowering up a tree in Congleton, Cheshire, he sneered at an officer: "If you had caught me for the first two, the rest of this wouldn't have happened

Nasty piece of S@@t he and his family were one of the first to be given a ASBO anti social behavior order his life of crime started when he was 14 

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't believe on hell after death . so how about making hell for him in this life.I like your idea of a lifetime of hard labor, to which I will ad the occasional jail cell rape.  

Remember that real human beings who are guards and administrators in those prisons. If you make prison hell, do you think that the prisoners are going to just take it? You will create an impossible to manage prison where no one would ever want to work.

Keeping a person like this alive has benefits.  They reason I say this is, over time, interviews with this person can give psychologists, psychiatrists and investigators into the mind of other people who may act this way.  The hope is that the intelligence gained can provide insight, allowing investigators to anticipate the next move, arresting the perpetrator before further damage is done.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What about the person /persons that "mistakenly" released him,

they should also be doing time,or at the very least be sued

by the many victims,whose lives will never be the same.

regards worgeordie

if there were  legal repercussions (including incarceration) for these people who have been entrusted to protect people, perhaps there would be a little care taken prior to erroneous actions which endanger lives..

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Keeping a person like this alive has benefits.  They reason I say this is, over time, interviews with this person can give psychologists, psychiatrists and investigators into the mind of other people who may act this way.  The hope is that the intelligence gained can provide insight, allowing investigators to anticipate the next move, arresting the perpetrator before further damage is done.

I would have thought one Usman Kahn was more than enough. Lock him up and throw away the key. 

7 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Remember that real human beings who are guards and administrators in those prisons. If you make prison hell, do you think that the prisoners are going to just take it? You will create an impossible to manage prison where no one would ever want to work.

Firstly, I ment make prison a hell for him.  But I see your point and I stand corrected. We should make prisons a very nice and pleasant place so that everyone would want to go there.

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

Who would you like to see carrying out the rapes ?

Its quite worrying  that you find sexually assaulting a person a valid punishment for any wrong doing .

Would you be willing to carry out the "punishment" yourself ?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Would you be willing to carry out the "punishment" yourself ?

No I am way to pretty and a caring and generous lover , I am afraid , with me it would be a pleasant experience, this needs to be a punishment. Perhaps you like to volunteer.

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No I am way to pretty and a caring and generous lover , I am afraid , with me it would be a pleasant experience, this needs to be a punishment. Perhaps you like to volunteer.

No, I would not rape anyone and I dont agree with rape, for whatever reason .

Rapists should be punished , even if their victim has done some terrible things .

What about if he gets freed from jail in 30 years ?

Would you find it acceptable that anyone could rape him then, or would that only be allowed whilst hes in jail ?

10 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

This lad's entire criminal history is a product of poor parenting and the liberal British justice system.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7760395/Joseph-McCann-tearaway-14-receiving-one-Britains-ASBOs.html

So why aren't everybodys children like this?

Mine aren't, nor are anybody elses children that I know of.

If it is as a result of poor parenting, how many generations back do you go?

Personally I don't give a rats arrrrrz if he dies in jail or even how he dies.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So why aren't everybodys children like this?

Mine aren't, nor are anybody elses children that I know of.

If it is as a result of poor parenting, how many generations back do you go?

Personally I don't give a rats arrrrrz if he dies in jail or even how he dies.

Don't shoot the messenger.  

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

No, I would not rape anyone and I dont agree with rape, for whatever reason .

Rapists should be punished , even if their victim has done some terrible things .

What about if he gets freed from jail in 30 years ?

Would you find it acceptable that anyone could rape him then, or would that only be allowed whilst hes in jail ?

I believe that if he got some of his own medicine , he might not like the taste .and perhaps learn how those he raped felt. A nice long term in hard labor with a bit of his own medicine I believe is appropriate. You know a bit of what's good for the goose is good for the gander,  

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

When he was finally arrested, cowering up a tree in Congleton, Cheshire, he sneered at an officer: "If you had caught me for the first two, the rest of this wouldn't have happened

Nasty piece of S@@t he and his family were one of the first to be given a ASBO anti social behavior order his life of crime started when he was 14 

That's my home town, I'd just walked out of the pub and it  was chaos with cop cars, he'd crashed into another car practically outside my local pub and made off I counted 3 armed response BMW's, if you'd have committed a crime in Congleton wouldn't have been a copper available .

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I believe that if he got some of his own medicine , he might not like the taste .and perhaps learn how those he raped felt. A nice long term in hard labor with a bit of his own medicine I believe is appropriate. You know a bit of what's good for the goose is good for the gander,  

What if he was homosexual and thus he would enjoy the experience ?

Archived