Canadian diagnosed with brain tumour in Thailand has travel insurance declined because he had the flu a month ago

webfact

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am an accountant / tax adviser. So no I don't but I have a pretty good understanding how a business works and find it strange that people seem to want the cheapest insurance and then moan when it does not pay. (as your correct there goes less out then is paid in but if you put even less in even less is paid out)

But i just see how all businesses need to make money. 

So you consider Allianz to be one of the companies offering 'the cheapest' insurance?

There's absolutely NO evidence that this Canadian guy 'went cheap'. He probably didn't read the small print though but beyond the numbers, the basic "what do I get and how much it costs", who does?

I can see where an insurer offering normal life insurance will seek to protect their profit by mandating that a nominal amount of time should lapse before the policy becomes fully functional. This is par for the course, notably with add-on dental coverage. In lieu of a full medical examination, this time delay protects them from any claim that can be attributed to a pre-existing condition. I was unaware that the same companies can tack on a similar waiting period AHEAD of the policy purchase and activation date for travel insurance.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

He should insist on going ahead with the treatment then do a runner when the hospital bill comes, like the Russians and Indians do 

Although this is notionally humorous and based on the recent 'blame the foreigner game' initiated by a local doctor, considering the fact that this Canadian guy could die on a regular commercial flight, I hope you can appreciate why I am not exactly splitting my sides.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He can't safely fly without at minimum medical personnel and equipment in attendance. 

And with each passing day it gets more dangerous.

Not sure how "minimal medical personnel or equipment can help with a brain tumor.  Though I admit Sheryl, your advice has always been the best, assume you were/are a doctor or medical practitioner. 

They did tell him at the hospital to fly home.  I would have gone straight to the airport, changed my return ticket and flown home.   

Insurance can be dealt with later.  

From the related news article: "The couple was then told the medication to reduce the pressure inside Alex’s head will only work for a few days and it would only be safe for him to fly home during that time." 

59 minutes ago, kingdong said:
1 hour ago, AussieBob18 said:

I use travel insurance evey time we visit Thailand.  But I know that it is for a serious accident or other illness caused by something in Thailand - not for something that is already going wrong inside and flares up/starts in Thailand. As others have said you should always have extra available funds to either pay for a medical treatment or to be able to get home for full diagnosis and treatment.

And my added advice would be to never start treatment in Thailand IF you can get on a plane quickly and get home. Once you start treatment in Thailand your passport etc is flagged and you will probably not be able to leave and the airline will probably not accept your booking.   If possible, say thanks - pay the bill - and say you are going to another hospital for second opinion - get to airport and get home.  In this case maybe some rizatriptan for the pain (or something stronger) would have helped and enabled him to fly home - but maybe not and that is why he is stuck waiting for medical evac.  

Right you are mate,I always get travel insurance but I always take an extra 3 large in cash in top of my spending money so if I need to ( and am able ) get home a bit lively after a medical mishap would be able to.

This Canadian hasn't 'started treatment'. His CATscan was diagnostic. He has only been receiving pain relief via medication.

All the rizatriptan in the world won't reduce the risk of dying if he takes a commercial flight.

It's brain cancer, not a gippy tummy or a broken leg.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

All the rizatriptan in the world won't reduce the risk of dying if he takes a commercial flight.

Are you saying they are prepared to do brain surgery in-flight on an Air Ambulance?

This Insurance company needs to be named so we can avoid it. 

I had a several 'back and forths' with BUPA International because they would not remove a UTI (from a year ago) as one of the pre-existing conditions for my Wife even though the issue was non-symptomatic. 

This meant that any abdominal issues could have been rejected based on the UTI a year previously.

It was similar to them counting a broken leg in the past as a pre-existing condition omitting medical cover for any future broken leg etc.

Ultimately BUPA agreed to remove the UTI from the Pre-existing  conditions on my Wife's Policy meaning that if at any time my Wife become unwell they were not able to 'wriggle their way out' of cover. 

-----------

In this case, it was a Pre-Existing condition, but there was no way the Canadian 'could' have known and thus he entered into the contract in good faith. 

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Not sure how "minimal medical personnel or equipment can help with a brain tumor.  Though I admit Sheryl, your advice has always been the best, assume you were/are a doctor or medical practitioner. 

They did tell him at the hospital to fly home.  I would have gone straight to the airport, changed my return ticket and flown home.   

Insurance can be dealt with later.  

From the related news article: "The couple was then told the medication to reduce the pressure inside Alex’s head will only work for a few days and it would only be safe for him to fly home during that time." 

Medical personnel can monitor for signs of increased intracranial oressure and administer intravenous medications if present. In a pinch they might have to intubate and manually ventilate him. That equipment along with IV supplies, oxygen, ambu bag, suction machine and intubation set would all need to be on board.

I very, very much doubt the hospital told him he was safe to fly on normal commercial aircraft with no special measures and signed a "fitness to fly" certificate to that effect. In fact 99.98% sure not. Had they, the insurance would not have initially offered to send an air ambulance. They do this only when the condition is so severe/unstable that commercial aircraft not a safe alternative. In fact had it been the case that he was OK to fly commercial without attendant etc there would have been no need to even involve the insurance co. Just change date of return flight and leave. 

But this is almost never the case when  a brain tumor has caused increased intracranial pressure.

15 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Are you saying they are prepared to do brain surgery in-flight on an Air Ambulance?

No. But they will provide a doctor specializing in the patients condition and have the option to fly at lower altitude or quickly change destination and land if the passengers condition dictates. As I mentioned earlier, medical repatriation may not necessarily mean all the way back home.

I have been involved with two medical evacuations of sick or injured employees from remote locations. In once case, a sick English guy had a very bad reaction to malaria resulting in renal failure. The life flight scrambled from England, picked him up in Lagos, Nigeria and flew him to Nairobi, Kenya. It was a listed as a 'center of medical excellence' with regard to his precise condition and was quicker to get to than a UK return flight. In another, a sick employee was life-flighted from offshore by helicopter to Auckland where plans were in place for a commercial flight home to France. The local doctors examination determined she had some form of encephalitis that ruled out commercial air travel and treatment commenced in New Zealand. She eventually flew home some 6 weeks later after the all clear was given.

Travel insurance is not general medical insurance. It on;y covers emergencies and accidents. It does not cover all medical conditions that you can travel back home for treatment, or that existed before travel. If the doctors told him he had a tumor a month ago instead of the flu, why hasn't he flown home already. He should read his policy.

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Medical personnel can monitor for signs of increased intracranial oressure and administer intravenous medications if present. In a pinch they might have to intubate and manually ventilate him. That equipment along with IV supplues, oxygen, ambu bag, suction machine and intubation set would all need to be on board.

I very, very much doubt the hospital told him he was safe to fly on normal commercial aircraft with no special measures and signed a "fitness to fly" certificate to that effect. In fact 99.98% sure not. Had they, the insurance would not have initially offered to send an air ambulance. They do this obly when the condition is so sevete/unstable that commercial aircraft not a safe alternative. In fact had it been the case that he was OK to fly commercial without attendabt etc there would havw been no need to even involve the ibsurance co. Just change date of return flught and leave. 

But this is almost never the case when  a brain tumir has caused increased intracranial pressure.

Understand, thought the 265,000 for air ambulance was just a scam from the company. Sounded like he had the headache for awhile and would be ok on the medicine for a few more days.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It can't be determined with any precision if any condition was pre-existing until it manifests itself. This guys brain tumor was only discovered a few day ago, not when he signed up for the travel insurance several weeks ago.

It is assumed that the guy had no migraines, malaise or other indicators of a serious illness when he signed up for the insurance. In this instance, I say the latter prevails.

To say otherwise, which appears to be the stance of the insurance company, is to suggest that the guy decided to go on holiday in Thailand knowing he had a serious illness. This is frankly quite preposterous.

I am not sure it is preposterous, but that depends a bit on if Canada has universal health insurance. If it has then yes its preposterous, if it does not then this might have been a way to get medical care on the cheap. 

There is two ways to read it but if Canada has universal health care then your spot on or if the guy has health insurance back in Canada then yes I agree.

1 hour ago, Rama said:

Travel insurance is not general medical insurance. It on;y covers emergencies and accidents. It does not cover all medical conditions that you can travel back home for treatment, or that existed before travel. If the doctors told him he had a tumor a month ago instead of the flu, why hasn't he flown home already. He should read his policy.

The dictors did NOT tell him he had a brain tumor a month ago .  

They told him he had the flu as he may well have had.

Because the flu symptoms were accompanied by headache (often the case) the insurance co is claiming this was a sign of the brain tumor. However examing doctor at tbe time did not think thete was anything other than flu.

He has only just now learned of the brain tumor.

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am not sure it is preposterous, but that depends a bit on if Canada has universal health insurance. If it has then yes its preposterous, if it does not then this might have been a way to get medical care on the cheap. 

There is two ways to read it but if Canada has universal health care then your spot on or if the guy has health insurance back in Canada then yes I agree.

Canada has universal health care.

And the insurance has now agreed to pay to bring him home.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

They only 'folded' after the issue garnered media attention. 

The manner in which this Canadian patient has been treated is atrocious. Imagine the turmoil of having just been diagnosed with a brain tumor, then to find out that your insurance company is abandoning you on technicality.

Absolutely atrocious - this guy should sue his insurance company for the additional stress caused by their inhumane response to someone who was by rights 'fully covered'.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Good for them, then yes with Canada having universal health care there is no way he knew before. That would just be real stupid otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They only 'folded' after the issue garnered media attention. 

The manner in which this Canadian patient has been treated is atrocious. Imagine the turmoil of having just been diagnosed with a brain tumor, then to find out that your insurance company is abandoning you on technicality.

Absolutely atrocious - this guy should sue his insurance company for the additional stress caused by their inhumane response to someone who was by rights 'fully covered'.

I wouldn't even call it a technicality.

They were clutching at straws in denying this and it would have been overturned on appeal. 

I have been under the mistaken assumption all my adult years that travel insurance would help me no matter what the medical emergency.  As a scuba diver it's of great importance to read the policy terms and conditions to know I will be taken care of if something untoward happens either in and out of the water.  Well,  in this case they are coming good with a flight home.....but once the plane lands and he leaves the airport the travel insurance policy is null and void. 

Archived