BANGKOK
bronzedude

Disrespected and insulted at the US embassy. Tourist visa denied to wife of US citizen for no specific reason.

2 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

It looks like a general catch all statement that supplies no specific reason for denial 

Yep, got it in one

• Like 2

"At the discretion of the official"? 

The least easy place to take one's wife is anywhere one can claim residency.

Many years ago I looked into this and it seemed daunting/near impossible at that time.

Found this on a google, from Thailand Lawyer website, "In our experience, the following characteristics will assist in granting a tourist visa:  professionals employed by large or multinational companies, high status Thai government civil servants, the very wealthy, and elderly persons seeking to visit relatives."

They only say "assist" not "allow", so no guarantees ever it seems

I was there as well this morning 5 min interview but they keeped her passport i wonder why?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Get in the back of the line. Your story is only the one of many Similar ones over the years. The same happened to my wife, and we had a stronger case than yours. They gave us a list Of excuses and we went back the next day (when you could just get in line). The second lady talked to the First Lady and she rejected the application, too.

However, an obvious working girl with a tank top, super short and tight skirt, many tattoos, high heels and at least 15 baht of gold adorned in various places got a 10-year visa at that same time. I overheard her boyfriend (not legally registered husband) say that they had been together less than a year and lived in Pattaya. 

Its a fairly subject process getting a visa at the US embassy. Especially under Trump. One point to note is that a travel history (with lots of photographs!) is important, but the trips don’t carry much weight if it’s to Asian countries. Trips to Australia or Europe carry a lot more weight. After we did a trip to the UK and Norway, had been together and I’d had my job longer, my wife was five a one-year and then a ten-year visa. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6