Disrespected and insulted at the US embassy. Tourist visa denied to wife of US citizen for no specific reason.

53 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I wish all law abiding legally applying sincere requests could be approved but that is highly unlikely.  You can bet if there were not thousands of illegals running across the border every day and circumventing the proper process this would be a lesser problem for Thais.  Sadly the easiest route is simply to walk across the southern border. 

The majority of illegal immigrants are from over stays (61%). 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it an american who conducted the interview or some local employed staff ? 

Just asking as often in the past I have noticed when dealing with various embassies,  that the local staff hired, no matter in which country, often get their heads turned as they consider themselved above the others on getting a miserable job in a foreign Consulate or Embassy.

7 hours ago, khunyod said:

Welcome to America under the Trump regime. The State Department takes its lead from leadership, and aliens are suspect (especially from <deleted>hole countries https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/<deleted>hole-countries/580054/ ).

A complete BULL DUNG statement.  The tourist visa problem at the US Embassy has been a problem for a long time.  I am sad for the applicants, but Trump had nothing to do with this.

50 minutes ago, newnative said:

This is incorrect.  The Embassy had no idea what supporting documents we would be bringing to the interview and none of the documents we brought were examined before or during the interview.  We are told to bring documents to the interview that support the applicant returning to Thailand.  The main categories if I remember correctly are: Previous travel history; Family ties; Employment; Ties to the community; Property ownership and financial data.  None of the supporting documentation is downloaded to the on-line application.  You do the application on-line and get an interview date and time.  

Supporting documentation means documents proving/backing up the information provided in the application. And presumably the facts that are considered relevant to the visa decision are all asked on the application.

It may be that decision had already been basically made based on info in the application. Now they still should have at least glanced at the documentation; it can happen that a relevant fact was omitted in the application thst might turn up there and also it is just plain rude not to 

And no excuse at all for tteating her in an insulting manner.

That it was last interview of the day may have been a factor.

Re apply and make certain the application contains full details of any property owned, jobs held, finances etc.

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

A complete BULL DUNG statement.  The tourist visa problem at the US Embassy has been a problem for a long time.  I am sad for the applicants, but Trump had nothing to do with this.

Actually he is head of state so indeed his directives and tweets are taken with more than a little heed by those working in government.  

9 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I  wonder if they denied because of an issue they saw in her passport?

If they keep the passport, you are getting a visa, you will receive the passport back in a few days.

I’m a Brit’ who supported an application to the US embassy for a 12 week tourist visa for my then fiancé for the last few weeks of an assignment I was on in Texas. Embassy flat refused the visa on the basis that there was no evidence she would return to Thailand despite owning a pickup truck, a house and having a daughter. This was before Trump so they have always been anal about letting people in. For some strange reason they think the USA is gods chosen area.

Frustrating for the OP as well considering he is a US citizen in a long term relationship and now married. Hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

My wife had the same exact issue. We had been together for around 8 years, were married and registered our marriage at the US embassy before trying for a visa.

The first time we tried we got a female immigration officer that--in my opinion, had issues with Thai women getting visas. I was with my wife and explained many things.....denied. A year later my wife went by herself with the same paperwork, got a male immigration official, was asked a few questions about where she was going in the US, what I did for work, etc, and got a one year visa. Go figure, exact same paperwork but a different official.

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Agree 100%, it's always been very difficult to get a visa for the US for Thais

Some years ago the Mrs had a client from USA who had a gf from a posh hostess club in bkk, bargirl, who had a degree and previously a good job. No tats and did not dress like a slut. He asked the Mrs to go with her and help her apply for a visa, got tarted up in expensive clothes, bs story about work and walked out with a 10 year visa! It's a lottery like the UK ones.

58 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Not necessarily.....

We went through a visa service.....I thought what they wanted was overkill - much more than the process dictated as needed, but they built a complete history & file.....

This complete file was scanned & sent to the consulate prior to any physical appointment.....I'm assuming this was all reviewed before the appointment date....

On the day of the interview we were handed the actual file to go to the consulate.....I was not allowed in and waited outside with many others....In our case they kept my wife's passport so they could affix the visa....We did not know what the conditions/duration would be, but it turned out to be a 10 year visa.....

Thank you for the information. I didn't realize there was such a service available. May I ask if you did the application in Chiang Mai rather than Bangkok?  We applied in Bangkok.  We may try to use a service if we try again.  

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Thank you for the information. I didn't realize there was such a service available. May I ask if you did the application in Chiang Mai rather than Bangkok?  We applied in Bangkok.  We may try to use a service if we try again.  

Yes, CM....Star Visa did our packaging for us....I don't know if they are in BKK - but when we did our Schengen? visa they had people on the ground there at the interview sessions & might have a branch there.....

10 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes, CM....Star Visa did our packaging for us....I don't know if they are in BKK - but when we did our Schengen? visa they had people on the ground there at the interview sessions & might have a branch there.....

Thank you!  I appreciate the information.

UK Citizen, married 17 years to Thai, had single and 5 year tourist visas all that time, until this year's application ...... denied - no refund of US$891 fee nor right to appeal. Changes - outsourced to VSF Global Visa Application service, decisions made in Delhi; we did not prove stays were less than 6 weeks, passport had eleven stamps into Heathrow but only one out!! (which proves they have no clue whatsoever as to who is in the country), I am now retired and so suspected of trying to bring spouse into country for good, despite the two homes we have back here and none in UK. Take your pick - May's hostile environment, or the £1.6 bn earned last year by said "not me, Gov" visa service?

10 hours ago, henry2109 said:

This looks indeed not only unfortunate for you, but also not right.

It is my understanding that the decision has to be given to you in a written form and with a reason of the denial. So what I would do first and immediately send an registered mail to the head of the embassy, state what you did here (and add again all documents), and ask for a written and signed decision. Further, demand an answer to how and where to contest the decision.

I consider your chances well that they may approve the visa. Or at least you should get a way to contest.

It can be irritating but no consulate or embassy of any country can be forced to justify their decision to refuse a visa ....be assured they follow instructions given by their Foreign Ministry or State Department.

She never should have told them you were going to visit family. you only tell them a vacation and if they ask you give them some details on the places you will visit. Same for when you pass through US immigration.  Your family gives her a place to stay and hide. The long length of stay could have also been a problem.

Apply for a visa to Australia. If you get one just go for a couple of days . This is a huge us with the US Embassy.  I got my girlfriend a tourist visa  for our trip last June.

If I remember correctly section 214b-assumes that everyone visiting the USA intends on immigrating or staying past their visa. The person applying for the visa must prove otherwise, i.e. substantial assets and ties to their country to convince an immigration officer they are returning.

Clearly this provision is selectively applied or ignored depending on which nationality is applying for a visa. China, India and Mexico are listed as top immigrants to USA. I don’t think Thailand, comparatively speaking, is on the radar of those countries abusing US immigration policies, although they seem to get lumped together with those who more egregiously abuse the system. 

Trump is not helping the situation with his ever changing immigration policies. 

To quote Steven Miller- the guy that participated or wrote many of the new immigration policies under Trump 

Nov 22, 2562 BE · Trump aide Stephen Miller told Bannon immigration would 'decimate' America ... echoing racist and white nationalist themes at the heart of a current scandal that has seen growing demands ...

Conclusion- The next time my girl friend applies for a US visa I am going to to tell her to wear a tube top and mini skirt. That is something the US immigration officers seem to understand. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

My wife was denied ( In China) and I contacted US Citizens services in Guangzhou to find out why. Was told I’d need to go to the Consulate for reason. 

I think I had to make an appointment. Went to window when called

the Officer had a stack of papers we provided. He said the denial is

because invitation letter looks fake and they’ve seen same format 

which were concerns, 

i stated Ted I wrote the letter he typed something and said tell your wife make an appointment it will be approved. 

Worth a try... 

11 hours ago, khunyod said:

Welcome to America under the Trump regime. The State Department takes its lead from leadership, and aliens are suspect (especially from <deleted>hole countries https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/<deleted>hole-countries/580054/ ).

And that's the thing. You have so many Americans thinking 'the poor' and 'immigrants' are the causes of their decline in socioeconomic status throughout the years. It's actually their own leaders that have caused it. Both Neo-liberal democrats and republicans (mostly through manufacturing consent via tv).

I think the OP's experience is unfortunate but am glad you shared such experience along with your plan of action.

I understand the frustration of the OP and other guys whose wives are refused. 

I don't recall seeing whether she had ever been refused in the past.  One thing I saw in 10+ years in China is ladies who played "musical white guys", applying again and again for US or UK or Aus visas each time they got a new American (or Brit, or Aus) boyfriend.  Each time, it left another guy angry and frustrated at his own country's embassy.

In a lot of cases, the IO didn't actually stamp a refusal into the passport, which I took to be a humane gesture.  (I recall being rather cynical when the Chinese Australian Embassy claimed they approved 85% of visa applications.  Maybe only 15% got a refusal stamp, the rest got returned as if they had never applied)

Again, I don't know the OP or his wife or their situation.  I'm just suggesting that there may be more to some of these sad tales that the guys doesn't even know about.  In any case, good luck to the OP.  

The US Embassy has been hit or miss for decades. 

I tried to get a GF a tourist visa back late 90's, she owned a house up north, a condo in BKK, her and her sister owned and managed a small shop in BKK, money in savings and she had 2 kids. I had a project in the USA for 6 months tried to get her a visa for a few weeks and it was denied. 

Years later dating a girl for a year or so and decided to try and get her a visa to go home with me for Christmas. She owned nothing, had no job was still in university and they approved her visa.  

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

It also does not help that so many Thais break the law and stay illegally to work, often criminal work like sex work.

The ones I know all went over with full intentions to never return to Thailand and they have not. They are illegals but they have found ways to stay and work. It makes it harder for the ones that are legitimate and follow all the rules.

Archived