Disrespected and insulted at the US embassy. Tourist visa denied to wife of US citizen for no specific reason.

8 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Both Neo-liberal democrats and republicans (mostly through manufacturing consent via tv).

It sounds like you have been reading Noam Chomsky. Bravo. He is a national treasure and has fought tireless for the rights of common people who make up the vast majority of any society.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I went to Thailand in 2010 to look for her family after she lost contact with them for over 30 years. When we located them Her niece and nephew wanted to come to visit us here in the US. I paid for the Passports and the visa application fees to visit, looked into the flights and like your wife they were going to stay for about 2 months. Even after speaking to the  Immigration office about what they needed they needed to bring, they were turned down after about 5 minuets of interview.  I wrote the American Embassy and asked them what went wrong and they said that during the interview they determined that they were going to come to America and stay. My niece and nephew both have property, jobs and children in Thailand. The Ambassador told me to just re-apply for the visas and they would probably pass this time. That is a lot of money to pay for probably. Sometime I think it's just a money thing.    

14 hours ago, Nanglon said:

UK Citizen, married 17 years to Thai, had single and 5 year tourist visas all that time, until this year's application ...... denied - no refund of US$891 fee nor right to appeal. Changes - outsourced to VSF Global Visa Application service, decisions made in Delhi; we did not prove stays were less than 6 weeks, passport had eleven stamps into Heathrow but only one out!! (which proves they have no clue whatsoever as to who is in the country), I am now retired and so suspected of trying to bring spouse into country for good, despite the two homes we have back here and none in UK. Take your pick - May's hostile environment, or the £1.6 bn earned last year by said "not me, Gov" visa service?

This thread is about US visas, not UK ones.

17 hours ago, kralledr said:

no, all he said : you are done you can go...

" If your visa application is approved, your visa will not be issued on the day of your interview. Your passport with your visa will be returned to you by Thailand Post. "

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Probably assumed she knew the above since it is posted on the instructions for visa application

16 hours ago, newnative said:

Thank you for the information.  We were not aware that the K-1 visa was a requirement and not an option.

It is not a requirement and once married to you she is not eligible for it. Would rather have to apply for either an Immigrant visa or a Tourist visa depending on intention.

14 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

She never should have told them you were going to visit family. you only tell them a vacation and if they ask you give them some details on the places you will visit. Same for when you pass through US immigration.  Your family gives her a place to stay and hide. The long length of stay could have also been a problem.

I do not think any of these were factors. Certainly not proposed the length of stay which was quite normal for a trip from Thailand to the US.

Recent-ness of the marriage coupled with lack of property owned here or a job may have been factors.

I too would like to know if the interviewer was American or Thai, and also gender.  I find that some upper/upper-middle class Thai women (which any employed in high enough capacity at US Embassy to conduct visa interviews would be) can be rather judgemental of lower class Thai women married to foreigners. (And their American husbands, something many TV members experience themselves at Immigration). Unconscious biases can certainly influence decisions.

yes i feel sorry for you, my friend met a thai *massage* girl, in Korea flew her back to Thailand, i met them in Pats 12 months ago, next thing i know she is in the UK for 6 months ?  they are back in Thailand now, he leaves here the first week in January, then she will follow him, yes i agree,  it seems so unfair to genuine people, its like sticking a pin on the donkey game, and we let immigrants into a UK without a pot to pis in

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I too would like to know if the interviewer was American or Thai, and also gender. 

Believe all interviews are done by Consular Officers (US Citizens).  That said the applications and any notes made to them are likely local nationals in the pre-screening process (as was done in person previously).  

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Was it an american who conducted the interview or some local employed staff ?

In my wife's case it was an American both times, female IO first time...denied, male IO second time with same documentation, approved. 

I read comments/complaints on the Thai visa process being vague, at least Thailand tells you what you need, US is a different story; just rumors that you have to show proof or reason a Thai citizen will come back to Thailand. You show up with numerous documents then are denied for a general reason, no specifics........pretty vague compared to Thailand.

i really wonder why she got refused, my wife got asked the 4 same questions, he only looked at our thai marriage certificate, and said ok u can go, this was yesterday, today in the morning visa was approved...

he not even checked any documents .

On 12/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, pgrahmm said:

We had zero problem under Trump's presidency.....I think that's an easy blame, but not necessarily a truth.....

That's great for you. Please inform us of the reasons you attribute to your success. What questions were ask, how did she respond, what supporting documents did you use, etc?

thanks

37 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

That's great for you. Please inform us of the reasons you attribute to your success. What questions were ask, how did she respond, what supporting documents did you use, etc?

thanks

We went through Star Visa in CM....They built the case file - and, for what we were told was needed they really over built the file with us supplying as requested....Lot's of pics from over the years, as I remember. ...One thing they stressed for Q/A was that visiting family was important & it was my wife's answer when they asked why/where she wanted to visit...She knew their names & where they lived.....

Star Visa submitted our file online prior to the interview & we carried papers as I recall....

My wife does have a Degree + had worked 17 years in management in a Nissan supply company, so that stability might have helped - although she hasn't worked for years....

Nothing more remarkable than that....The farang interviewer spoke in Thai, so my wife's fluency in English never came into play - as far as I know, it's possible a few words were exchanged....I don't know how in depth the questions/answers were....My wife carries herself well & dressed casually smart... Many of the others I watched come out didn't, to say it politely.....

We did a Shengen? (also through Star) visa prior & have travelled a few trips internationally so that might have helped....It was my wife's 1st passport.....

13 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

We went through Star Visa in CM....They built the case file - and, for what we were told was needed they really over built the file with us supplying as requested....Lot's of pics from over the years, as I remember. ...One thing they stressed for Q/A was that visiting family was important & it was my wife's answer when they asked why/where she wanted to visit...She knew their names & where they lived.....

Star Visa submitted our file online prior to the interview & we carried papers as I recall....

My wife does have a Degree + had worked 17 years in management in a Nissan supply company, so that stability might have helped - although she hasn't worked for years....

Nothing more remarkable than that....The farang interviewer spoke in Thai, so my wife's fluency in English never came into play - as far as I know, it's possible a few words were exchanged....I don't know how in depth the questions/answers were....My wife carries herself well & dressed casually smart... Many of the others I watched come out didn't, to say it politely.....

We did a Shengen? (also through Star) visa prior & have travelled a few trips internationally so that might have helped....It was my wife's 1st passport.....

Thank you. That is helpful and gives me some hope and some good suggestions for success.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:31 PM, mfd101 said:

Much the same as for Thais who want to visit Australia, and indeed for falangs living longterm in Thailand or just visiting Thailand: Those (all too many) who break the rules make life difficult for those who don't.

You seem to forget, however, there are always "civil servants" with warped ideas about the meaning of that "civil servants" by showing their powerful status and often giving a personal turn on what is in the books.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:15 AM, natway09 said:

I would be surprised if any country had a law that said a full explanation of denial is required

Just keep lightly knocking on the door. Good Luck

Continuing to knock is unlikely to help.  Once an applicant has been rejected, there is an institutional predisposition never to reverse the decision.  The immigration officer who did so would have no upside and a considerable downside risk for his reputation/career.

@op

please tell me why your wife got refused and mine accepted,same time slot same day and some farang interviewer, asked her 3 question... why you go us. how long. what you do... not even asked who pay for it..

he not looked any documents only our marriage  certificate, and her passport that has a few schengen visas...

i guess he was i a bad mood....

Does it make a difference if the applicant is married to a non-US citizen?  I'm British, so is my 4 year old son, but my wife is Lao (with no money or anything else to her name, as she is entirely supported by me).  What chance would she have of getting a Tourist visa so we can take our son to Disneyland?

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Does it make a difference if the applicant is married to a non-US citizen?  I'm British, so is my 4 year old son, but my wife is Lao (with no money or anything else to her name, as she is entirely supported by me).  What chance would she have of getting a Tourist visa so we can take our son to Disneyland?

I would give it a try - she does not have the stay/change of status issue and as she is married with your child overstay should not be a high concern as long a your status indicates financial ability.

On 12/11/2019 at 6:28 AM, Onrai said:

It sounds like you have been reading Noam Chomsky. Bravo. He is a national treasure and has fought tireless for the rights of common people who make up the vast majority of any society.

Sure. But what is really positive, is that more and more folks are becoming aware of his works along with the views towards what is really going on. Particularly, Israeli atrocities. On the other hand, back to US politics, it has gotten to a point where as Chris Hedges points out to us, that 'civil disobedience' will be needed to make the change and stop the degradation of the middle class along with the continued wars. Not to mention the destruction of our environments.

It is those who are caught up in bi-partisan politics along with corporate talking points/views,  lacking any empathy towards their fellow countrymen who are the real rot of America. #MAGA #Bernie2020

Archived