Go fast not slow!: Thailand's speed limit set to be raised from 90 to 120 kmph

webfact

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

This is a great idea. I can't wait to see these crackpots driving at 120 upwards and leaving one meter between their vehicle and the one in front. Never mind the crashes.

Obviously the transport minister has never driven in this country or like usual has no common sense.

Raising the speed limit to 120kph (on motorways) makes sense as this seems to be the speed that most drive at anyhow. The issue is that 140kph+ becomes the new norm.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Raising the speed limit to 120kph (on motorways) makes sense as this seems to be the speed that most drive at anyhow. The issue is that 140kph+ becomes the new norm.

I find the issue is the A-holes that sit in the right hand lane driving at 100km/h, I drive at 120km/h and have no problem to slide over a lane to let the faster cars through.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

About time they did something along what they are proposing! slow drivers are a bigger problem than fast drivers in some areas as they create bedlam with backed up traffic & drivers who lack basic driving skills in the first place, who then have to "undertake" to get past.

Agree, what comes to mind are those pickups with speakers on the top that go along at 40kph , the fellows in the seat trying to get us to stop him to buy sun blinds etc.

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Agree, what comes to mind are those pickups with speakers on the top that go along at 40kph , the fellows in the seat trying to get us to stop him to buy sun blinds etc.

They are just one of the many offenders IMO, then you have those that will be making a U turn about ten miles in front and lack the skills, coordination and consideration for others so just Hog the lane along with those who's driving abilities are tested just getting from A to B, so they stay in the lane that affords them the most room! 

It's a losing battle unfortunately as most Thai's are all about Me, me & me, whatever they consider is easiest for them is what they will do! have to say the further North you get the drivers tend to have a little more consideration, the road signs "keep left" help as well, though not all abide by them.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

+ The standard "exceed by" percentage (min 25%) =  looking forward to speeds of at least 150kph.

There will be no reduction in the number of people breaking the speed limits.

There will be no reduction in the number of tickets issued.

There will be an increase in really spectacular accidents.

No-one will accept responsibility for the increase.

I completely disagree. Right now, I see really careful drivers going 90-100kph. I see alot of highly skilled drivers like myself going 110-120, depending on conditions. And I see alot of unskilled maniacs going 150kph. It does not matter what the speed is. A low speed is not a deterrent, on any level. In the US it is, as the people have a great deal of fear of law enforcement, the high fines, points off their license, and being arrested. But, here? Have you ever heard of anyone being cited for reckless driving here? It never happens, as the highway patrol just sits around and plays cards, until an accident happens. The police here are like Laurel and Hardy. We may get a good laugh on their expense, but what are they good for? Do any of us have any fear of them? Or course not. They are just local franchisees, looking to collect lunch money. 

It is never about law enforcement here. They are simply revenue collection agents. 

If you want to save thousands of lives a year. Get the Thai drivers to move over when a faster vehicle approaches from behind. It seems like most people here feel it is matter of life and death if they allow someone to overtake. Regardless if they are driving a broken old farm truck at half the speed limit, or indeed a nice new vehicle at the 70% of the limit. They won't go faster and they won't get out of your way.

I drive the speed limit, but I get out of the way as soon as I notice someone is going faster. I want them gone as soon as possible, not trying to kill me while passing uphill around a corner.

Expect to see a few more dead people in the future, only 4-5,000!
Come on Thailand, you're on the right track to reach the top spot in the rankings!
The next step ... highways without speed limits!
The morons are those who change the world!

5 minutes ago, 30la said:

Expect to see a few more dead people in the future, only 4-5,000!
Come on Thailand, you're on the right track to reach the top spot in the rankings!
The next step ... highways without speed limits!
The morons are those who change the world!

Motorways without speed limits aren't a problem, the Autobahn is one of the safest roads in the world. Why ? Because German drivers know how to drive, they pull over to let faster cars pass, don't undertake and have a good awareness of the road.

In Thailand however your point is well founded.

Ya baby! Put the pedal to the metal. This is exactly the reason I got a big car. I laugh when I see some old, fat farang getting out of a small car... I wonder was he thinking about his gas mileage and not his life? It always makes me laugh.. .

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The speed limit in the right hand lane will be 120 kmph. In addition the proposal is that traffic in the right hand lane must travel at speeds of at least 80 kmph. 

And what happens when you reach an infamous U-turn.... a right hand lane driver will hit you up the <deleted> at 120 kph as you slow down to make a turn into what will be the 120 kph lane coming towards you..

Not sure if the minister has thought this one through properly!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The speed limit for cars on many of Thailand's roads is set to be raised from 90 to 120 kilometers per hour.

I renewed my driver's license a couple weeks ago. At that time, the mandatory "training" movie stated that the maximum speed limit was 120 kpm. I guess "transport minister Saksayam Chidchob" didn't get the news!

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

If you want to save thousands of lives a year. Get the Thai drivers to move over when a faster vehicle approaches from behind. It seems like most people here feel it is matter of life and death if they allow someone to overtake. Regardless if they are driving a broken old farm truck at half the speed limit, or indeed a nice new vehicle at the 70% of the limit. They won't go faster and they won't get out of your way.

I drive the speed limit, but I get out of the way as soon as I notice someone is going faster. I want them gone as soon as possible, not trying to kill me while passing uphill around a corner.

This has got to be one of the worst things to <deleted> me off when driving...people sitting in the fast lane at 70 or 80 and refusing to move over, this does cause a lot of accidents and near misses!!, glad to see they will start to get fined for dawdling along!!!

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

And what happens when you reach an infamous U-turn.... a right hand lane driver will hit you up the <deleted> at 120 kph as you slow down to make a turn into what will be the 120 kph lane coming towards you..

Not sure if the minister has thought this one through properly!

Handbrake turn? 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is already a law which says you have to drive in the left lane unless you are overtaking or turning. It's just not enforced.

Now people who drive 60km/h will not be allowed to overtake somebody who is driving 30km/h on the left lane if they can't drive faster than 80km/h?

I've seen signs on some roads slower traffic in the left lane

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Motorways without speed limits aren't a problem, the Autobahn is one of the safest roads in the world. Why ? Because German drivers know how to drive, they pull over to let faster cars pass, don't undertake and have a good awareness of the road.

In Thailand however your point is well founded.

And it is probably well maintained

Archived