Go fast not slow!: Thailand's speed limit set to be raised from 90 to 120 kmph

webfact

Surely the minimum speed in the right hand lane won't apply to high-sided pickups with it's load covered by a blue and white striped plastic tarpaulin? I always though such vehicles were allowed to stay in this lane for as long as they wanted. ????

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god....more road carnage ahead ! Could be a good investment now to set up a funeral company with branches near all the major highways !

They should rather be putting speed breakers with exagerated road bumps that would force the indisciplined drivers of Thailand, both Thai and foreigners, to be forced to go DEAD SLOW !

New speed limit for private cars on trial on three highways

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM75M7PDZ7OKZJkiojlEDyRxKmHTD.jpg

A new trial speed limit of up to 120kph for private cars has been imposed on three highways, namely Asian, Pahonyothin and Mitraparb (Friendship), since Monday.

According to Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob, the increased speed limit is on a trial basis on the Asian Highway, from Bang Pa-in in Ayutthaya to Nakhon Sawan, covering a distance of 150km, Mitraparb highway from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima and Pahonyothin northbound from Bangkok.

The three highways are divided into three traffic lanes for different speeds, namely under 80kph, between 80-100kph and 101-120kph.

Mr. Saksayam said a recent opinion poll showed that 71% of motorists agreed with the raised limit, from 90 to 120kph, against the 29% who think road conditions in Thailand are not ready for increased limits and some motorists lack discipline and driving skills.

The survey also showed that 32% of motorists admitted they regularly exceed the 90kph limit.

To cope with the increased speed limit, the Highways Department and Local Highways Department have been instructed to install safety equipment, improve road barriers and lane markings and recalibrate equipment used to check the speed of vehicles.

The speed limit for public transport, such as buses and trucks, remains at 90kph.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-speed-limit-for-private-cars-on-trial-on-three-highways/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-12-10

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

I  find driving  slowly way  more  boring and liable to make me  drowsy, blatting it keeps  me more  alert

Driving slowly here IMO has more inherent risk involved than driving "fast" you have to be aware of what the driver in front is "doing" you have to hope the clown in the left lane isn't going to pull out on you all the time wondering if the idiot behind can really drive any closer than he is.

Far safer to get by the "masses" and get some road to yourself and get to where you are going quicker, the less time on the road , the less chance of an accident, works for me! 

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is already a law which says you have to drive in the left lane unless you are overtaking or turning. It's just not enforced.

I've had been fined for driving in the right lane in Buriram once, on a totally empty road, with the left lane full of potholes. So at least some policemen heard about this.

A transport minister whose family own a racetrack is responsible for speed limits. Could only happen in Thailand. The Thais are not fit to be let loose at the existing limits.

As for the new minimum speed limit.... Yep, they are so slow it drives me nuts, but I cannot see how this is going to be enforced.

120kph is fine in most countries but i often see people having to brake hard when on the Asian highway when a truck decides to pull out after doing a u-turn making everyone come to a stop .

Usually another 10 cars follow .

120kpm is not safe for many people who got their driving licence on the back of a pack of cornflakes.

I do realise so people worked really hard for theirs driving through a difficult set of cones and stopping in a box in their gruelling 15 minute test which i apologize to them for.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A new trial speed limit of up to 120kph for private cars

Wow, soon we will have the chance to go at full speed ...
Stop it, you have to slow down the speed and do more appropriate checks or you'll be really first in the squalid classification of road deaths!

I recall seeing a survey years ago that concluded that the vast majority of Thai drivers had no idea what statutory speed limits were on Thai roads.  I doubt much as has changed and making things vastly more complicated is not going to help educate the drivers or corrupt police.

I regularly drive Mitraparp at 120kph. It is the speed to go if you don't wish to change lanes every two minutes. What I have found is that as I have become older and my reflexes and concentration are not as good I seem to becoming involved in more accident situations. In Thailand you not only have to anticipate what a normal driver might do, but what a nutcase might do as well.....people who change lanes for no reason at all, for example or trucks using the third right hand lane to do a U-turn thus blocking it for fast traffic.

My biggest beef in Thailand is trucks and buses in the 4th right hand lane, especially going up the hill at Muak Lek where they might be traveling at 10 kph with the truck and the truck in the 3rd lane going 9kph. I also hate the ditherers. I am always happy to let traffic going faster than me pass by, but Thai drivers tend not to have cruising speed, so they pass you and they slow down, and you do this passing and repassing every few kilometers. It's tiresome.

Archived