Go fast not slow!: Thailand's speed limit set to be raised from 90 to 120 kmph

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, jvs said:

Three different speeds on the same road but on different lanes,i have no

idea how this will work but i have a question.

Can speed cameras handle this?

Approaching a right hand U-turn, already problematic, is going to get very interesting if the 120kph limit is approved.

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

if your gf or Mrs drives ask them if they know what the speed limits are ???? or almost any rules of the road.

You hit the nail right on the head mate They dont even know what the speed limit is here.Its supposed to be 90klm open highyway but i do that speed they fly past me like i am standing still lol. As for rules just a minor detail here Who needs rules because the Thais dont obey them anyway and the cops dont enforce them

All over the world we are reducing speed limits to solve the problem with CO2, NOx and in poluted Thailand we jncrease the polution by increasing the speed.

Over 150 km there is a small time advantage due to overall average apeed one drives in 150 km.

And in Thailand with the way most road drivers are educated also and increase of fatal or terreble accidents.

When the raod users and the driver get popper education and learn to drive in dense high speed traffic you not need an increase in speed.

Also remove the u-turns and make long lanes for people who nedd to enter the main road. before the exit mak more clear where the exit is like 1200 600 300 and gave a start narker of the exit in the side of the road.

Improve the overall toad look and impression as well add sings and singals per lane so it is more clear what is to expect and what is comming.

Remove the yellow center line and make it white so you have a better reflextion regardless of day and night.

Small improvement that makes traffic flow faster with out the need to increase the speed limit. Due to the average speed it not has a higher traffic flow

The increase if a speed limit works better when you increase it from 90 to 140 or 160 km/h.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, jackdd said:

Now people who drive 60km/h will not be allowed to overtake somebody who is driving 30km/h on the left lane if they can't drive faster than 80km/h?

This only applies in the right-most lane of roads that have four lanes or more. So unless someone is driving 30 km/h in the third lane from the left, the problem wouldn't arise.

Of course, since it's not an unusual situation for all four lanes to be grid-locked, especially in built-up areas I don't see how they could enforce this 100% of the time.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, webfact said:

The law is being adjusted to allow for prosecution for those who do not go fast enough on the right

Completely unenforceable as are all moving violation.  Why?  Thailand has zero patrol cars on the roads.  They don't cite driver for moving violations.  I doubt that average cops even have enough knowledge of traffic laws to issue a ticket.  Other than that?  Expect Thailand to move back into First Place as the world's most deadly roads.  Most Thais simply have abysmal driving skills.  They can't handle the speeds right now, to up them by 30 kpm with the average Thai's completel lack of spatial awareness, planning, and reaction-time is simply going to add to the slaughter.  Add to that the added aggressiveness once those travelling at 140 (you think they're going to limit themselves to 120?) met the morons who pull out from the sideroads and shoulders and the U-Turns-Of-Death without looking and right into the path of overtaking cars.  It's gonna be ugly as the aggressiveness and road rage increases in proportion to the stupidity.  Oh well - Darwin Awards will abound!

On 12/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, snoop1130 said:

The three highways are divided into three traffic lanes for different speeds, namely under 80kph, between 80-100kph and 101-120kph.

The speed limit for public transport, such as buses and trucks, remains at 90kph.

So, trucks get two lanes, but not the full speed of the middle lane, and no one can legally pass a truck because the middle lane is limited to 100 kph, whereas the right lane starts at 101 kph and goes up to 120 kph.  There is no lane in which, say, 100.5 is legal.  Because there is no overlap between lanes, technically no passing is ever allowed. 

And what about all those wonderful U-turns?  The fastest traffic is pitted against the slowest by all such, thus maximizing road carnage.  Roads need to be better engineered before these new speed limits will see much benefit.

For now, it looks like the trucks will still rule the road.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, Dmaxdan said:

I'm not even sure if most Thais know which of the dials on their dashboard is the speedometer.

Well they sure don't know what that little stick thingy is that makes amber lights flash on an off, when turning or changing lanes.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:09 PM, spidermike007 said:

I completely disagree. Right now, I see really careful drivers going 90-100kph. I see alot of highly skilled drivers like myself going 110-120, depending on conditions. And I see alot of unskilled maniacs going 150kph. It does not matter what the speed is. A low speed is not a deterrent, on any level. In the US it is, as the people have a great deal of fear of law enforcement, the high fines, points off their license, and being arrested. But, here? Have you ever heard of anyone being cited for reckless driving here? It never happens, as the highway patrol just sits around and plays cards, until an accident happens. The police here are like Laurel and Hardy. We may get a good laugh on their expense, but what are they good for? Do any of us have any fear of them? Or course not. They are just local franchisees, looking to collect lunch money. 

It is never about law enforcement here. They are simply revenue collection agents. 

I don't get it.  If they are simply revenue collection agents then why not go after speeders, issue a ticket on the spot and require payment right then and there?  sitting around and playing cards seems to cut against your argument that they're simply revenue collection agents.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, LennyW said:

This has got to be one of the worst things to <deleted> me off when driving...people sitting in the fast lane at 70 or 80 and refusing to move over, this does cause a lot of accidents and near misses!!, glad to see they will start to get fined for dawdling along!!!

undertake  ,  pull  in front of  em then slow right down................they soon change  lanes  then

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Well they sure don't know what that little stick thingy is that makes amber lights flash on an off, when turning or changing lanes.

works  great though when they need to inform you they are going straight on............. totally  unnecessary eh

This is great news.  

no more frustrated drivers pulling of dangerous stunts due to frustration.

I would prefer if they had road side execution of slow drivers, it would be mercedes benz drivers all lined up waiting to be disposed of

go government maybe there is some sensible thinking going on

20 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

I don't get it.  If they are simply revenue collection agents then why not go after speeders, issue a ticket on the spot and require payment right then and there?  sitting around and playing cards seems to cut against your argument that they're simply revenue collection agents.

That would require some effort. Easier to just set up the standard road block, and collect a fortune standing around. And besides, pulling over speeding vehicles and reckless drivers would be the actual engagement in traffic safety, something they seem to want to avoid at all costs.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, spidermike007 said:

Nobody respects the speed limit, because it is way too slow. Who goes 90kph on a four lane divided road? Or 80-90 on an elevated toll road.

This is precisely why the roads of Thailand are so badly designed - they encourage high speed yet the awful reality is that they are not of sufficient specification to support this.

Archived