Thai Health Promotion Foundation launches anti-smoking campaign

webfact

Thai Health Promotion Foundation launches anti-smoking campaign

2deb9f9a3e3f3542ce34423810de37a5_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Starting on December 9, all cigarette products sold in Thailand come in standardized, plain packaging, with packs stripped of distinctive designs and logos, in an effort to reduce the appeal of tobacco consumption. The Thai Health Promotion Foundation and its network of partners have launched an anti-smoking campaign, after a new study found that smokers are admitted to hospitals more than 500,000 times, at a total medical cost of 21 billion baht.

At an anti-smoking forum, Dr. Kumnuan Ungchusak, a senior expert in preventive medicine and a member of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, said today the foundation recognizes the importance of tobacco consumption controls and efforts to encourage people to quit smoking.

Public health volunteers in villages and subdistrict health promotion hospitals, have worked together to encourage patients to stop smoking. Their efforts are associated with the social and cultural environment.

The project intended to build a smoke-free society and emphasize factors contributing to a general cessation of smoking, has been initiated in 12 provinces nationwide, and in three workplaces.

At the forum, seminars were arranged for representatives of subdistrict health promotion hospitals in Nakhon Pathom, Pathum Thani and Lopburi provinces, youth members and former smokers to share their knowledge and experience.

Today is the first day that all cigarette products sold in Thailand must only come in standardized, plain packaging according to the Ministry of Public Health’s regulations.

The packs must not display distinctive designs, logos or advertising messages. Offenders will face a maximum fine of 40,000 baht for violating Section 38 of the 2017 Tobacco Control Act.

nnt.jpg

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

It is beyond me how anyone can smoke. As is if there was ever a more obvious thing not to do.

Respectfully, that is not quite the correct question. It should be 'how can anyone continue to smoke in light of all the things medical science has learned over the last years'.

I got hooked as a teenager when I was too dumb to know any better, and it took years and years to finally be able to stop.

I have tremendous sympathy for any/all who are trying to quit; it ain't easy, but it can be done. Can I suggest a look at the various threads in the 'Stop Smoking Forum' (Health and Medicine sub-forum)? There is great information there, and FWIW, it did help me.

To those who are smoking now and aren't trying to quit, I have a message; you might be telling yourself that you don't want to quit, but your body is singing a different tune. The simple fact is that you are addicted to a substance and the people who got you addicted have made a great deal of money off of you, and continue to do so to this day.

There are many, many, many good reasons to quit, but the best argument should be simple; Smoking Causes Impotence. If you are okay with your limpness and floppiness, then...

image.jpeg.009525512c27932e8adbcec1dcdcbf6d.jpeg

Have a nice day.

Just curious ............ who owned the main tobacco company TTM here up until 2018 and had a monopoly on it as well????....Hmmmm ......... was it the Thai government?  ????

And now, due to the fact that foreigners can own up to 49% in a tobacco firm since the Asean fair trade agreement in 2014, it needs to be curbed. 

However, the newly named TTM is now the TOAT who still control the market and so they are responsible for tobacco sales in Thailand.

I'm 78 and have been smoking a pipe for 57 years. I just found out I have cancer. No, the doctors say my heart and lungs are fine. I have a spot of skin cancer from too much sun while doing all my swimming. I guess I'll live a healthy, happy life and smoke my pipe in the shade.

Archived