BANGKOK
simon43

I was disrespected (he said)

Myself, reading the title of this message, I suspected insults, the file thrown in the face of the applicant and other incivilities. (In my job, it happened to me often).
But this is a refusal, justified or not.
Bah! you have to take things philosophically and start over again. There is no death of man, just a stay to move.

But I hope that his request will succeed and especially that he avoids writing to the whole world.

• Like 1

I don’t like the term “disrespected” either, and the US expat really means that he wasn’t treated fairly or well. Which may indeed be true.

If his wife was German, Swedish, Japanese ... it probably wouldn’t have been an issue ... as these are considered developed countries were citizens are less likely to stay illegally. That seems to be the thinking.

• Like 1

Read the post. Other than a son, from another man, I didn't catch any compelling reason for her to return to Thailand.

• Like 2

That post starts with the word disrespected without any attribution as to who has been disrespected so one can only assume THAT OP thinks his wife was disrespected, ergo, he has been disrespected? Kinda like an American style loss of face thing and he's probably getting it in the ear big time from his old lady for her being cheated (her opinion) by his embassy. Maybe his expectations of the US Consular service afforded to US citizens and their foreign born wives abroad is far removed from reality? Maybe he didn't do due diligence on A ) her application, or B ) her life before he met her 6 years ago.

Back to THIS OP's suggestion that it doesn't matter if one thinks one has been disrespected and personally not caring if he is disrespected. I can see where it may matter to someone in authority to be seen to be disrespected by someone either less educated, younger or subordinate. A student getting smart-mouthed with a teacher for example? I guess it's all down to ones own perceptions and expectations really. If the teacher can see the student for what he is, a grandstanding juvenile, then it shouldn't rent too much space in teachers head.

Now if my kids or my wife disrespect me, well that's a whole different kettle of wombats IMHO.