I was disrespected (he said)

simon43

On 12/10/2019 at 1:37 AM, stevenl said:

Op and his wife put in a lot of effort in a visa application to meet all requirements, including assembling a lot of paperwork. According to the OP the officer did not even have a look at it. So yes, I would call that disrespecting. The officer should at least have had the decency to have a look at all the, for the application required, paperwork.

Yes, that's exactly what they did in my case. "But you are free to reapply at any time for the $100 fee."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/10/2019 at 3:45 PM, Sheryl said:

The OP himself was not at the interview so no way he could have been treated disrespectfully.

But entirely possible his wife was, and perhaps he takes that personally.

There are myriad ways a person can convey disrespect to another. Tone of voice, facial expression, failure to use courteous phrases etc.

We have no way of knowing  what exactly about the interaction made the woman feel she was disrespected but I doubt it was "failure to doff their hats and bow low".

Since the Consular officer made a decision without examining any of the supportive documentation or asking much in the way of questions it sounds like they formed an unfavorable an opinion of the woman being interviewed based on her overall appearance (as does happen),  and this quite likely showed in their verbal and non verbal commuication.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, BestB said:

I understand where you coming from and what you trying to say. These days when people do not get things their way , exactly how they want it all becomes “disrespectful” and bad service . 

fact that perhaps their demands were unreasonable or behaviour out of line makes little difference as the entire world revolves around them.

Beware! The micro-aggression gestapo are everywhere.

No one was in that interview room except the interview officer and this mans wife, so nobody knows what happened in there except those 2 people. Nobody knows what her answers were to the questions she was asked or how she answered them. Maybe, just maybe the wife did not want to go to America and it was the husband pushing the idea and she told the interview officer that. All any of us including this woman's husband can go on, is what she has told her husband.

Bonjour monsieur,
permettez-moi de mettre en évidence "3 mots oubliés" dans votre tout premier message, et qui ont encore leur importance: "je suis désolé" prononcé par l'employé.
Pour une personne, irrespectueuse, insultante, elle avait un terme que j'appellerais "poli".
Eh bien, elle n'a pas rampé aux pieds de votre femme, mais ça non plus, vous ne savez pas, vous n'étiez pas là, n'est-ce pas ??? Vous ne pouvez faire confiance qu'à l'histoire de votre femme.
Dans la lettre envoyée à "l'écrivain"? vous avez omis votre absence de l'entretien et clarifié la phrase de refus de l'employé "Je suis désolé, mais vous ne pouvez pas aller en Amérique". Pourquoi??? Cependant, il n'y avait rien de grossier.
Je comprends très bien qu'il y a pédant, prétentieux, vain,
(Dans mon pays, tous les citoyens sont arrogants, alors!)
Mais un refus n'est pas irrespectueux, impoli. Il y a toujours une raison.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:39 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Tourist visas for Thai's, especially women are a crapshoot, even when you think you're ticking all the boxes!

Interesting about the crapshoot concept.

My TGF and I had been living together 2 years when we applied for a 3 month tourist visa to visit Australia. We used a visa agent in the Trendy Building in Bangkok to make sure everything went smoothly.

Our previous travel history together was to visa-free countries for Thais; Hong Kong, Japan and Cambodia. Her Australian visa was approved within a week, no follow-up interviews or phone calls. Of course, she followed the rules of the visa and left a week or so before the visa expired so added to her good record.

A year later we applied for a Schengen visa for a 3 week holiday in Europe. Once again, approved within a week for a 1 month visa.

The interesting part is that there was virtually NOTHING that would compel her to return to Thailand during those applications. No full-time job, studies, or children. No house or land. Yet, approval was granted without any issues.

I hope her winning streak at this crapshoot does not run out when we apply for her next Australia visa. ????

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

Recently a Thai told me that everyone in the Japanese embassy was so much nicer than in the American. I can well believe that.

The staff at the Thai Consulate in Melbourne are also very courteous, friendly, efficient and helpful. I have never felt ill at ease when visiting for another visa.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, stevenl said:

Op and his wife put in a lot of effort in a visa application to meet all requirements, including assembling a lot of paperwork. According to the OP the officer did not even have a look at it. So yes, I would call that disrespecting. The officer should at least have had the decency to have a look at all the, for the application required, paperwork.

What a civil servant "should" do is out of my league, unless I was or am a civil servant from that agency. In that instance, perhaps my dermination of what "should" have taken place would hold more merit.

2 hours ago, Dexxter said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

know of a freelance gal more active than many a bar girl with a nurses aid diploma that easily got a us tourist visa

I wonder if she continued her freelance profession while on tour in the states.

doubt it as she was sponsored for trip including lodging

I understand the lack of respect shown by the US embassy.  After all, they cut ex-pats off at the knees when they stopped issuing income letters.  I also wrote my congresswoman and asked her to check on the status on having the embassy verify social security payments for ex-pats.  It is really a simple process since all that is required is for you to waive your privacy with the Social Security Administration to allow the embassy access the information.  They could still charge a reasonable fee to provide the service. However, they did not deign to reply about my request.  Now, if I was a rich man they would hop to it since Trump respects wealth,  Of course, if I was a rich man I would not need the letter!

On 12/13/2019 at 5:10 PM, Dexxter said:

Good way to drum up business. Refuse every other visa and get another $100 as a bonus when they re-apply.

Non-profit supported by USA taxpayers. More business just means more work, so they could not care less. Whether that $100 even covers the expense of providing the service is questionable. 

On 12/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, from the home of CC said:

To me, I read it as he was feeling disrespected as an American citizen through the actions of the embassy official making a decision concerning his wife, and I totally get it. 

Maybe she was pregnant and they didn't want her spitting out another anchor baby that American tax payers get stuck paying for.

Archived