Police request cancels press briefing by pro-democracy group at FCCT

webfact

Police request cancels press briefing by pro-democracy group at FCCT

By The Nation

800_c18d9fdcd088952.jpg

Photo Credit : Tanawat Wongchai’s Facebook page.

A scheduled press conference by a pro-democracy group to launch a campaign against dictatorship at the Foreign Corespondents Club of Thailand (FCCT) on December 11 has been cancelled after a police request.

The FCCT yesterday posted a statement complaining the police action as a threat to freedom of expression.

The group, had planned to announce on December 11  the "Run Against Dictatorship" campaign which will be held on January 12 nationwide. 

Following is the FCCT statement on cancellation of the press conference:

The professional committee of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand is concerned about pressure from Thai police to cancel a planned press conference. Over the weekend, the FCCT’s management was asked by Lumpini police station to cancel a booking by a group involved in the ‘Run Against Dictatorship’ planned for next month.

The group had agreed to pay to use the FCCT for a press conference announcing the event. The police explained that the title of the event was objectionable, and that they considered it likely to create what they called a “mob.” They also stated that there would be serious consequences for the FCCT – suggesting possible closure - if it did not comply with their request. After discussion with the group, the organisers agreed to find an alternative venue.

On several occasions during the preceding five years of military rule, the FCCT was forced to cancel events, both those run by the club and those booked by outside customers. In all those cases the police explained that they were under orders from the military authorities, saying neither they nor the club had any choice in the matter.

Thailand has been under a civilian government since May this year, which should make such orders or even “suggestions” to curb free speech a thing of the past. In demanding the cancellation of this week’s event the police gave no legal justification, although they made it clear they were acting on orders from higher up.

The FCCT continues to host a rich variety of events, including many which focus on free expression and dissenting political views, and believe such events contribute positively to the broader debate on Thailand’s future. We hope we will be allowed to continue this role in the future.

FCCT Professional Committee

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379269

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-10

It will be extremely interesting to see how many Thais participate in this brave Run against Dictatorship. I had not realised that it is going to be nationwide (I had thought it was planned only for BKK and environs). 

I doubt that huge numbers will join the event (although it could well be into the multiple thousands); but given the implicit threats already (even regarding simply advertising the thing), one can understand the trepidation ...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In demanding the cancellation of this week’s event the police gave no legal justification, although they made it clear they were acting on orders from higher up.

Can't see what is possibly wrong with a run against dictatorship in a democratically elected country!

11 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Can't see what is possibly wrong with a run against dictatorship in a democratically elected country!

Yes, 300sd: that is why the regime is so free and open and invites criticism from all quarters. It is confident that it has nothing to hide - hence the policy of encouraging free and full debate about each and every political issue that might concern the Thai people ...

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has been under a civilian government since May this year, which should make such orders or even “suggestions” to curb free speech a thing of the past. In demanding the cancellation of this week’s event the police gave no legal justification, although they made it clear they were acting on orders from higher up.

Fake news !

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Jonathan Head was very quick to give up. He really is a bit of a useless turd. 

Yea im sure you would make different choices. Easy to say internet hero. For guys like this it could mean the end of a job and or stay in Thailand. For what.. to host an event. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea im sure you would make different choices. Easy to say internet hero. For guys like this it could mean the end of a job and or stay in Thailand. For what.. to host an event. 

I'm not a professional journalist being paid handsomely by the BBC. Professionals do the jobs they signed up for. 

Real journalists take risks in the pursuit of the truth. Saying no to the police wasn't even a risk. There was no legal precedent for them to be there. At the very least the foreign journalists should have asked for a court order. They didn't and they're (international journalists here) quite well protected people.

Think before you post. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

I'm not a professional journalist being paid handsomely by the BBC. Professionals do the jobs they signed up for. 

Real journalists take risks in the pursuit of the truth. Saying no to the police wasn't even a risk. There was no legal precedent for them to be there. At the very least the foreign journalists should have asked for a court order. They didn't and they're (international journalists here) quite well protected people.

Think before you post. 

i do think before I post you obviously don't. You ask someone to give up their life and job just to hoste an event you like because you hate the junta. 

You did not even think further that a guy like that who is obviously anti junta (i mean he was pro red shirts before) could better be here and do things on the edge then if he is replaced by someone to the junta's liking who does not take any risks.

I think you over rate how protected they are and how much they can lose. But as I said its easy to be an internet hero and tell others what to do. Why don't you set a good example and start protesting. Lets see what it lands you. 

Just now, robblok said:

i do think before I post you obviously don't. You ask someone to give up their life and job just to hoste an event you like because you hate the junta. 

You did not even think further that a guy like that who is obviously anti junta (i mean he was pro red shirts before) could better be here and do things on the edge then if he is replaced by someone to the junta's liking who does not take any risks.

I think you over rate how protected they are and how much they can lose. But as I said its easy to be an internet hero and tell others what to do. Why don't you set a good example and start protesting. Lets see what it lands you. 

Again, I'm not a 'professional journalist'. There was no legal precedent for the police to be there. The police came and asked and they complied. Now the police know how easy it is to manipulate these kind of journalists.

No, he isn't better being here. He's paid for by the British tax payer. If journalists start thinking they might get in trouble for asking the wrong questions, then they can go. They don't serve any purpose and they serve only their own needs. Not the public's. 

Real journalists ask tough questions and take risks. If not, what's the point? 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Again, I'm not a 'professional journalist'. There was no legal precedent for the police to be there. The police came and asked and they complied. Now the police know how easy it is to manipulate these kind of journalists.

No, he isn't better being here. He's paid for by the British tax payer. If journalists start thinking they might get in trouble for asking the wrong questions, then they can go. They don't serve any purpose and they serve only their own needs. Not the public's. 

Real journalists ask tough questions and take risks. If not, what's the point? 

You think too much about the law not about reality I always thought you stayed long in Thailand. The law is flexible.

Again you are quite inflexible in your thinking, its better to have someone working for democracy and reporting within the limits he has then to overstep them and get tossed out. He serves nobody if he loses his job over something like this.

The point mate is to do the best in a bad situation, you are too much an idealist (i mean when its about others not when it means putting your own ass on the line)

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You think too much about the law not about reality I always thought you stayed long in Thailand. The law is flexible.

Again you are quite inflexible in your thinking, its better to have someone working for democracy and reporting within the limits he has then to overstep them and get tossed out. He serves nobody if he loses his job over something like this.

The point mate is to do the best in a bad situation, you are too much an idealist (i mean when its about others not when it means putting your own ass on the line)

There was no legal precedent for the police to be there. There was no risk. Asking the police for a court order is the very minimum they could have done. 

Yes, I hold professionals to a higher standard than layfolk. Especially ones paid for by my tax money. I guess you wouldn't mind calling the fire brigade or police for assistance and being told, "sorry, they feel assisting you would be too much of a risk".

We clearly have very different views on what constitutes professional journalistic integrity. 

26 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Fortunately for the "government" overall - "Reporters" no longer "report", they "repeat" what they are told to put to print, much the same as in the West ???? 

Most news is now controlled by Silicone valley, if they disagree with what is said they bury it or redirect to what they want us to read.

Google used to be our friend - no longer - now it is yet another "tool" used for control of the masses!

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has been under a civilian government since May this year, which should make such orders or even “suggestions” to curb free speech a thing of the past.

Did I miss something? I thought that Prayut and Prawit were still in power. Same old, same old military junta. Fake news from the FCCT.

Archived