Best way to stay in Thailand for as long as possible ?

Hello, I'm a freelancer that can work from anywhere, I just spent 3 weeks and a half in Thailand as I was thinking of moving there, and of course I loved it.

Now I'm back in France and I see all reports of immigration getting super strict and I'm kinda scared to give everything up here to then get denied over there.

However, it seems I probably would not have problems at first since this would only be my second entry.

My question is, as I want to stay long term, what is the best course of action.

I have a few options in mind so far :

1. ED Visa + Learning Thai (allows me for 1 year without the hassle of exit, but can't travel if I want to, also adds a lot of hours to my days and I need to work for my remote clients) then ED again or METV

2. METV (if I understand correctly in this case I still have to do visa runs but I could stay up to 9 months ?) then come back with ED

3. METV or SETV with one visa run to stay in Thailand for 6 months, then go to Vietnam and do the same for 6 months (I believe this is the only option that would keep me in good terms with immigration on the long run)

Ideally, I'd like to be able to stay in Thailand most of the time so I can actually settle there but that seems like there's no way to make it happen

I've contacted a well known umbrella company as this was the best option for me but they said currently they cannot offer the service they used to (pay % of your income to them and they take care of visa + taxes for you)

They said Thai authorities "have requested they make changes to their business model"

Anyways, I'd like to have your experimented advice on what's the best path for me here, goal being to stay as long as possible

Also if I go the ED + METV route do you think it's better to start with METV or ED ?

Also I will have to renew my passport before going, so it will be a new one, I don't know if that may be important.

Edited by Escaflowne

21 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Absolute nonsense. It’s a terrible investment and waste of money that leaves you right back where you started when you’re finished.

Desperate people do desperate things. The elite is a desperate move.

The guy is 30 so a 20 year Elite would leave him at 50/51 and eligible (under current rules) for a Non-O 

But I completely agree with the other posters who said that 3.5 weeks is not enough time in country to make a 1Million THB / 20 year investment 

I wonder if the following would work... Let's say the OP comes into Thailand in Jan on an METV and does...

1. 60 Days, followed by a 30 day extension 
  2. Trip to another country, come back 
  3. 60 Days, followed by a 30 day extension 
  4. Trip to another country, come back 
  5. 60 Days, followed by a 30 day extension 

... Now 9 months in (September), next steps would be...

1. Land Trip to another country (Trip 1 in 2020), come back get 30 day exempt
  2. extend for 30 days 
  3. Land Trip to another country (Trip 2 in 2020), come back get 30 day exempt
  4. extend for 30 days

... Now in 2021 so the 2 x Land Border runs clock resets & (technically) can repeat the previous 4 steps again to get another 4 months, all in 17 months in-country (give or take a few border bounces) hopefully enough to confirm whether the Elite Visa is worth doing or not

No idea whether the above would work or not, but on paper it's (technically) perfect possible... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Although it´s not illegal to work as a freelancer in Thailand with work that has no connection to Thailand. 

This is not correct. According to Thai law, doing freelancing work on your computer is still work and is not allowed without a work permit, which you won't be able to get. Yes, if you keep it quiet you won't have any problems, but don't think that what you are doing is legal. It isn't.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I little bit wrong. There is no way of getting a visa based on freelancing. Although it´s not illegal to work as a freelancer in Thailand with work that has no connection to Thailand. That has already been cleared and confirmed by high ranking Immigration officers in Chiang Mai years ago.

That is persistent misinformation by freelancers. It is illegal, it says so in the labor law. Immigration is for visa, the labor department for labor law. That guy can say what he wants, doesn't change the law.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

This is not correct. According to Thai law, doing freelancing work on your computer is still work and is not allowed without a work permit, which you won't be able to get. Yes, if you keep it quiet you won't have any problems, but don't think that what you are doing is legal. It isn't.

Okey, Let´s say I belive you. Never seen that law. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

google it

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

That is persistent misinformation by freelancers. It is illegal, it says so in the labor law. Immigration is for visa, the labor department for labor law. That guy can say what he wants, doesn't change the law.

Ok so this has to do with the Alien Employment Act, right? Or is there any other laws that regards working in Thailand for foreigners?

Doesn´t matter how much I Google it, if it is not clearly inculded in that act. It was the law I asked to be pointed out.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Realistically, if the Op wishes to stay in Thailand the Thai Elite is a viable option: 

1MB averaged out over 20 years is 134 baht per day... 

10M THB upfront at 30yo ... would be the worst mistake ever but maybe it's just me.

eventually if you can borrow money with very low interest, then why not.

Edited by freeman01
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The guy is 30 so a 20 year Elite would leave him at 50/51 and eligible (under current rules) for a Non-O 

But I completely agree with the other posters who said that 3.5 weeks is not enough time in country to make a 1Million THB / 20 year investment 

I wonder if the following would work... Let's say the OP comes into Thailand in Jan on an METV and does...

1. 60 Days, followed by a 30 day extension 
  2. Trip to another country, come back 
  3. 60 Days, followed by a 30 day extension 
  4. Trip to another country, come back 
  5. 60 Days, followed by a 30 day extension 

... Now 9 months in (September), next steps would be...

1. Land Trip to another country (Trip 1 in 2020), come back get 30 day exempt
  2. extend for 30 days 
  3. Land Trip to another country (Trip 2 in 2020), come back get 30 day exempt
  4. extend for 30 days

... Now in 2021 so the 2 x Land Border runs clock resets & (technically) can repeat the previous 4 steps again to get another 4 months, all in 17 months in-country (give or take a few border bounces) hopefully enough to confirm whether the Elite Visa is worth doing or not

No idea whether the above would work or not, but on paper it's (technically) perfect possible... 

In your example 1-5, the METV is only 6 months from when issued, so to get the max just before it expires you do a border run to get 60 days then a further extension. Your example doesn't quite add up, remember trips out of Thailand count towards that 6 months.

i was doing 60+60+60+60+30 just border runs for subsequent 60s

Edited by scubascuba3

46 minutes ago, freeman01 said:

The law about work permit is to prevent foreigner stealing jobs to Thai people, if you work remotely from Thailand doing a job no Thai people could do they absolutely don't give a <deleted> and will never do anything.

Wrong. If enough people know that you are coining it on some internet business whilst in Thailand, and then someone grasses, then you'll be deported.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Absolute nonsense. It’s a terrible investment and waste of money that leaves you right back where you started when you’re finished.

Desperate people do desperate things. The elite is a desperate move.

Yes, it's a terrible investment. And to be fair no one knows what retirement visa will look like in 20 years. But op loves Thailand. And he wants to stay. Elite visa is the only solution. 

BTW, before I got married I took one of those Thai courses when they were dirt cheap and there were absolutely no issues, hassles, minimum hours, tests with immigration. I paid a bargain price of 20,000 for a 1 year visa and it was still a hassle. I remember spend g all day at the immigration just to extend the visa. Today it's 100 times worse and 5 times more expensive. 

Never again. 

• Like 2